Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Needing to buy a skid steer. Have been renting one from a neighbor for the past few years or from one of the rental shops in town.

Need advice on model. I need a mid to a bit below mid-sized to get in and out of barns and pens here. Physical size is of importance to me. I'd like a smaller machine, physically, that could at least move and load round bales. Our bales run around 11-1400 pounds.

There are so many variants so looking for some guidance.

Neighbor has a ASV RC50 that is about perfect in physical size and decent in its ability to lift bales.

What are the models of other manufacturers that could fit this bill?

Montana MOFO
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I like Bobcat. I've got 3 of them. Most machines will require at least a 6' gate to get into where ever you need to go. One of the dealers near me leases out a bunch of machines through Bobcat for these big snow contracts and they just sit all winter and are only used when it snows. In the Spring, this big landscape company turns them in and the dealer sells them cheap. Whenever I need a new one, I'll try to wait until Spring to buy it.

https://www.bobcat.com/loaders/skid-steer-loaders/models/s570/features

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only experience with a skid steer I've had was the one I rented from my neighbor to move some gravel with. It was a 75 HP Kubota, on tracks, with the joystick control. I loved it, and wish I had one, only there is no way I can justify owning one. This guy has 4, and both uses them in his construction business, and tents them out. He seems to like Kubota's.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
I like Bobcat. I've got 3 of them. Most machines will require at least a 6' gate to get into where ever you need to go. One of the dealers near me leases out a bunch of machines through Bobcat for these big snow contracts and they just sit all winter and are only used when it snows. In the Spring, this big landscape company turns them in and the dealer sells them cheap. Whenever I need a new one, I'll try to wait until Spring to buy it.

https://www.bobcat.com/loaders/skid-steer-loaders/models/s570/features

Used a Bobcat T190 quite a bit. They were decent machines, but Ingersoll Rand owned them then. Not sure about the newer ones.

I think JCB is pretty close to top of the line.

Might also look at Case Compact skid steers too.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
stay away from a case 310 it is prob the size you want but they are having cracks start on the frame were the arms pivot from. the kit from the fac. to fix it aint much use

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I think most of the new machines are all pretty good. I'd look for a control layout I was comfortable with and a good seat height so I could see around as much as possible.An extra hydraulic circuit is almost a necessity these days and a reputable dealership nearby is always helpful. Most of the rentals we use at work are John Deere, theyre strong machines. With equal hydraulics a tracked machine will pick up more before tipping than a wheeled machine due to the balance point or front idler wheel being farther forward. My personal machine is an old 1840 case with 6000 hours on it left over from our dairy days, been a great loader, Son is looking at a newer kubota, says they have a reputation for reliability and strength.

Doubt I've been any help, seems I like em all.....

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
We run bobcats on the farm and have few problems with them. We have the biggest of the small frame machines. Would probably fit your needs. Our s250 is a two speed just wish we would of gotten the high flow hydraulics. If we had high flows I'd have a snow thrower for it. Barry

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Bobcat 763 made about 1996. It has 2500 hours on it, mostly hauling bales and plowing the driveway. It has a 1500 lb lift capacity and has been reliable during the time I have owned it.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
When I was working as a contractor foreman..we had Bobcats...always rentals...they were abused to deth. Never got serviced properly and I gotta say they hardly ever let us down...used them in the Artic and when plugged in they would start pretty good..I would put it on top of the list....I ran a JD some and would rate it a close second...
Some of the off brands we got stuck with were junk and severely underpowered and weak hydrolics...

W
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
W
Food for thought.

first might be dealer support - parts and service side
second is general idea of size of machine - you already have that narrowed down
third would be track and or wheeled machine
cost and or financing
possibly resale value

anything over 75 hp will be regulated by emissions - others with less hp may have emissions of some sort

We run both wheeled and tracked machines and have used most major brands. Other things maybe to consider are -
JCB has the single boom lift with the main boom arm and aux hydraulic connections being on the right side of the machine. All other manufactures plumb aux hydraulics and attachments to the left side.
John Deere run very well but pins and bushings seem to start getting pretty loose around 1300-1500 hours
Bobcat makes a real good machine as well and they seem to hold up a little bit better than the John Deere.
Caterpillar seem to hold up the best for us but they too have their issues. I would expect electrical issues before pins and bushings typically
Tracked machines cost more up front, work better in softer soils, but don't seem to make up the cost difference much on the resale value when it comes time to sell
Typical use prior to selling for us is approx. 4000 hrs or less but a well maintained machine can last much longer. At 4000 hrs for us they aren't always completely worn out but they're still worth something to others
Machines keep getting smarter with new technology so some may run others attachments and others may not without having the proper electrical breakout boxes.
Some attachments will need high flow hydraulics but most do not.
If you decide to go with a wheeled machine I would highly recommend going with 12X16.5 tires and wheels over 10X16.5's for ground clearance and maneuverability if you can.
Hard to beat a machine with an enclosed cab, heater, ac, suspension seat to name a few options

Last edited by WestMont; 08/15/19. Reason: posted before completed
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whatever you do stay away from John Deere. Least reliable machine I’ve ever owned, and the controls suck.

My next machine will be a JCB.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 19 invisible), 1,769 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.