Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 24 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 23 24
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by kaboku68

I like RCJ but my favorite Big Wave Surfer is the Late Brock Little.

[Linked Image]

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
BP-B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by kaboku68

Come on man you can do better than that.

https://youtu.be/c5W4RZq1NRg

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Kaboku68 I have enjoyed the video's you have posted.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by RickBin
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Larry Bird...

Don't hold it against me, but I came of age in the 80's as a huge Lakers fan. I hated everything about Boston, parquet floors, white towels, announcers who used bad grammar, Tommy Heinsohn, air conditioners that did not work in the visitors' locker room in June, and especially, Larry Bird.

Bird couldn't get his heels six inches off the ground at the same time. He couldn't run, jump, cut, was slow-footed on defense, was only a so-so dribbler, and looked like an anteater to boot.

Compared to the Laker thoroughbreds, the guy was Shrek in a pair of cement Converse.

Except ...

the SOB could shoot the rock, had great anticipation (regularly put on clinics on how to block out), and had icewater in his veins. I saw a documentary on TV recently in which opposing players told of Bird going into a timeout with seconds to play and the game on the line, and telling them on his way off the floor how he was going to come out of the timeout, and hit the winning shot from right THERE, and point to the spot.

And then he'd come out of the timeout, come around a pick, receive the pass right THERE, and drop the bomb.

I wouldn't choose Larry Bird to win any footrace, jumping contest, strength, speed, quickness agility, yada yada, as in he was not the most ATHLETIC dude around.

But ask me to put my money on the one white guy I'd want deciding things? That's easy. Larry was as clutch as clutch comes. He caused me a lot of heartburn back when I bled purple and gold.

I don't know if anyone ever did more with less than Bird. Much as I "hated" him then, he (and Magic) were sure fun to watch.

I agree with you almost compleatly....for me I rank him high on the list for just that...the ability to overcome his lack of athleticism with all the other tools...he competed in an environment stacked with hall of famers and they all feared him...
A famous coach said....sorr can't remember who....but if choosing a player to take a shot to win a game it would be Jordan...if it had to save my life it would be bird...those old laker Celtic games were the best...
Just imagine if you dropped bird and manic in today's NBA...they would reek havoc..
Makes me wonder how say Babe Ruth would fare against today's pitching...or hitters...

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I forgot about Riggins...he was born just 30 miles from here...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Gordie Howe, had all the skill/size/tenacity to do damn near anything. Modern, Mike Trout, quite sure he's cut of the same cloth

1/504 PIR
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Jim Thorpe

Red man...

The shear stupidity of defining greatness by race.
Where do the mixed breeds fit?

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

IC B3

35 Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tansinator
We came up with no one that could have competed in two professional sports, can you?

DUH !!
Joe Montana !!

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
[Linked Image]

Hands down

Last edited by hanco; 08/16/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tansinator
We came up with no one that could have competed in two professional sports, can you?

You've never heard of Dave DeBusschere.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
L
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
L
Rocky Maciano

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Morewood

Last years and death

Zaharias had her greatest year in 1950 when she completed the Grand Slam of the three women's majors of the day: the U.S. Open, the Titleholders Championship, and the Women's Western Open, a feat that made her the leader on the money list that year. Also that year, she reached 10 wins faster than any other LPGA golfer, doing so in one year and 20 days, a record that still stands. She was the leading money-winner again in 1951, and in 1952 took another major with a Titleholders victory, but illness prevented her from playing a full schedule in 1952–53. This did not stop her from becoming the fastest player to reach 20 wins (two years and four months.)

She was a close friend of fellow golfer Betty Dodd. According to Susan Cayleff's biography Babe, Dodd was quoted as saying, "I had such admiration for this fabulous person [Zaharias]. I loved her. I would have done anything for her." They met in a 1950 amateur golf tournament in Miami and became close almost immediately. Cayleff wrote, "As Didrikson's marriage grew increasingly troubled, she spent more time with Dodd. The women toured together on the golf circuit, and eventually Dodd moved in with Zaharias and Didrikson for the last six years of Didrikson's life. They never used the word "lesbian" to describe their relationship, but there is little doubt that their relationship was both sexual and romantic.

In 1953 Zaharias was diagnosed with colon cancer. After undergoing surgery, she made a comeback in 1954. She took the Vare Trophy for lowest scoring average, her only win of that trophy, and her 10th and final major with a U.S. Women's Open championship, one month after the surgery and while wearing a colostomy bag. With this win, she became the second-oldest woman to win a major LPGA championship tournament (behind Fay Crocker). Babe Zaharias now stands third to Crocker and Sherri Steinhauer. These wins made her the fastest player to reach 30 wins (five years and 22 days). In addition to continuing tournament play, Zaharias also served as the president of the LPGA from August 1952 to July 1955.

Her colon cancer recurred in 1955. Despite her limited schedule of eight golfing events that season, Zaharias won her last two tournaments in competitive golf. On September 27, 1956, Zaharias died of her illness at the age of forty-five at the John Sealy Hospital in Galveston, Texas. At the time of her death, she was still a top-ranked female golfer. She and her husband had earlier established the Babe Zaharias Fund to support cancer clinics. She is buried at Forest Lawn Cemetery in her hometown of Beaumont, Texas.

During her final years, Didrikson became known not only for her athletic abilities but as a public advocate for cancer awareness, at a time when many Americans refused to seek diagnosis or treatment for suspected cancer. She used her fame to raise funds for her cancer fund but also as a spokesperson for the American Cancer Society. Her work in this area was honored by US President Dwight Eisenhower on a visit to the White House.

Legacy

She was named the 10th Greatest North American Athlete of the 20th Century by ESPN, and the 9th Greatest Athlete of the 20th Century by the Associated Press.

The Babe Didrikson Zaharias Museum in Beaumont is also one of the city's welcoming centers. Zaharias broke the accepted models of femininity in her time, including the accepted models of female athleticism. Standing 5 ft 7 in tall and weighing 115 lb, Zaharias was physically strong and socially straightforward about her strength. Although a sports hero to many, she was also derided for her "manliness."

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My guess is that its a soccer player from Europe, but we'd never know in the States.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Ted Williams...maybe Jack Nicklaus.

YEP

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
Gretzky

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
crazy laugh laugh laugh

Page 14 of 24 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
294 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,034 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,822
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.