Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
carved Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
The CZ 455 was on my wish list for a long time, but I could never afford it. Now, I see that the 457 has just been released, which seems even better. There is a problem, though. In addition to the cost of the rifle, I live in Connecticut, which requires that I purchase a special permit to buy guns and ammo, even though I already have a hunting license. This permit costs about $150.

I had decided to wait until I could justify the cost of the rifle before buying it. However, the recent talk of bipartisan federal background checks, which seem likely to be signed into law, makes me think that perhaps I should buy the permit, and just get a loan from a relative to buy the rifle now.

There are practical considerations, though. First, this is a new production rifle. Even though it's similar to the 455, it's still new. I think that it might be a good idea to wait a year or so before getting a 457 so that the flaws, if there are any, can be corrected. Do you think I should take a chance on an early run 457?

Secondly, I have heard that big box stores tend to get inferior rifles relative to small private dealers. Is this true?

Thanks

GB1

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I have a 457 Varmint and love it...no problems.
No, there aren't any special grades of guns for big boxes vs. LGS.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Why are you worried about this potential Universal Background Check?

If you are buying this rifle New and from a dealer, you will be required to go through the existing Background Check.

No new law will change that.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
The only thing I don't like about my 455 is the high bolt lift. Thinking about selling it to grab a 457 but I don't know if there are many lower ring options that I like.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
You have to buy a PERMIT to buy a gun, WTF kinda nazi [bleep] is that?

IC B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by edapp
The only thing I don't like about my 455 is the high bolt lift. Thinking about selling it to grab a 457 but I don't know if there are many lower ring options that I like.

I have the Talley rings on mine.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by The_Big_D
You have to buy a PERMIT to buy a gun, WTF kinda nazi [bleep] is that?

It’s called NEW ENGLAND; they’re just behind (old) England where they now have “knife control”...

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Northern New England is still good. It's who you have to travel through to get there that's the problem.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 457 in 17HMR - Awesome rifle. Fixed all my bitches about the 455, love it. Too bad about that Commie Law you have there in CT.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Barrel is too long on the 457 American

I am MAGA.
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have 455 Varmint and fullstock models. Delighted with both. Only real difference with the 457 is they Americanized the safety and tweeked a couple other things. Fine arms for sure

Last edited by papat; 08/16/19.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, do you need a new 150 dollar permit each time you buy a gun?

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WOW, for hundred and fifty bucks a guy can buy a nice used 22.
, Shop or get a little bit lucky and pay a lot less,

C
carved Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by steve4102

If you are buying this rifle New and from a dealer, you will be required to go through the existing Background Check.

My understanding is that in CT, a certificate is needed to purchase long guns or ammo, which costs $150, after paying for an approved course. A hunting license and hunter safety course are no longer considered sufficient. After speaking with an ATF agent, I was told that because I'm a CT resident, I can't purchase a long gun or ammo outside of CT without the Connecticut long gun and ammo certificate. I don't know if this is true or not, but it's what I was told. If any new federal regulations are implemented, it's possible that I'd be required to purchase a federal certificate as well. If I'm going to need to pay several hundred dollars more to get a rifle, I'd rather do so before I'm required to do so.

C
carved Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Barrel is too long on the 457 American

Thanks for pointing that out. I see that the 455 is 20.5" in length, while the 457 is 24.8". The 457 has interchangeable barrels like the 455, right? Could the barrels be swapped, or would this cause problems with the bedding? Could the 455 be cut, or would this cause problems as well?

I don't know why CZ would have lengthened the barrel. Those extra 4" would be a problem for hunting in brush.

C
carved Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by jnyork
So, do you need a new 150 dollar permit each time you buy a gun?

An approved course is needed to purchase the long gun and ammo certificate for $150, which must be renewed every five years. $150 doesn't have to be paid with each gun purchase.

Edit: The certificate is proof of having passed the background check.

Last edited by carved; 08/16/19.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by carved

My understanding is that in CT, a certificate is needed to purchase long guns or ammo, which costs $150, after paying for an approved course. A hunting license and hunter safety course are no longer considered sufficient. After speaking with an ATF agent, I was told that because I'm a CT resident, I can't purchase a long gun or ammo outside of CT without the Connecticut long gun and ammo certificate. I don't know if this is true or not, but it's what I was told. If any new federal regulations are implemented, it's possible that I'd be required to purchase a federal certificate as well. If I'm going to need to pay several hundred dollars more to get a rifle, I'd rather do so before I'm required to do so.

Stop being a dumb ass, there is no such thing and never will be any such thing as a Federal Permit.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

Stop being a dumb ass, there is no such thing and never will be any such thing as a Federal Permit.

Give the guy a break. It is tough to understand what things are like in Free America, when one lives behind the iron curtain.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Give the guy a break. It is tough to understand what things are like in Free America, when one lives behind the iron curtain.

Amen. Thank you.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

I know you were being decent, but exactly where is free America?
I don't care about one place less restrictive than another,
But true Free America.

It ceased to exist around 1968.

A case could be made for 1934.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 08/16/19.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

190 members (2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 28 invisible), 2,102 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,716
Posts18,457,094
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.