Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Do not, never have owned an AR. I want to buy one now, or build in 308. Don’t want it to weigh too much. Closer to 8# the better.

Is that an unreasonable expectation? I once looked at a DPMS that I thought was pretty light. Don’t remember anything else about it.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
GB1

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
POF advertises theirs as being lightest, I believe.

Retired cat herder.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've got a Daniel Defense dd5v1 and it's anything but light. Awesome rifle but not something I'd want to carry much.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have the Remington version of the DPMS G2 Hunter. It’s under 8lbs naked.

Now with even more aplomb
D
dla Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
DPMS was the lightest, but recently I saw an add for one with a polymer lower that came in even lighter. Sorry but I'm having a brain fluff right now and can't remember the name. The price was cheaper too.

IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
A total scoped weight of 8 lb is a very reasonable goal if you're willing to build the rifle with an eye toward saving weight.

My PSA 18" is 8 lb without a scope (measured on a postal scale), but it's not all stock. I have a lightweight barrel and lightweight bolt carrier in it. However, it could be lightened further with a lighter handguard and stock; it would be easy to shave off 1 lb, more if you want.

It's the top rifle in this pic, 9lb 4oz as pictured with the scope and empty mag. You can see the areas to save more weight - that full length handguard isn't super light, and the ACS-L stock is nice but heavier than some other options.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have had 5 308 semi auto's, they all seemed like a great idea and they all went down the road as a full mag full of 20 cartridges weights about a pound then the gun with a scope is at 9 or so. Where I live I don't think there is much that I cannot do with the 5.56 and good bullets. At some point you have to become practical in what you do and buy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I have had 5 308 semi auto's, they all seemed like a great idea and they all went down the road as a full mag full of 20 cartridges weights about a pound then the gun with a scope is at 9 or so. Where I live I don't think there is much that I cannot do with the 5.56 and good bullets. At some point you have to become practical in what you do and buy.

Totally agree with you. I thought I wanted an AR10 until I had to remove a 20 rd mag from one for the guy next to me at the range on Tuesday. The thing was heavy.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Understand they’re heavy. But, doesn’t the balance mitigate weight? I would only be packing a 5 round magazine for hunting purposes. It’s not the capacity I like as much as the format.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really wanted an AR10 back when I was buying my first semi.
The price was a bit steep.
When I picked several up, I changed my mind.
Bought a RRA with a quad rail instead.
Scope, mounts, full mag...still have a pig.
Now I have a PSA pencil barrel, mloc lightweight handguard.
Nice balance, light enough, shoots good enough.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Understand they’re heavy. But, doesn’t the balance mitigate weight? I would only be packing a 5 round magazine for hunting purposes. It’s not the capacity I like as much as the format.

They aren't as bad as some guys say. The weight really isn't that big of a deal; a lot of guys here have 5.56 AR15s that weigh just as much but either don't know or don't admit it. In my pic above, the bottom rifle is a 5.56, and only weighs 4 oz less than that 308. Granted that includes the TLR-1 light and the sling, but still, the difference is fairly small for rifles that are set up very similarly.

You are completely right about balance being more important than the weight (within reason of course). And, don't believe the nonsense some guys say about how 308 ARs are always heavy. If you want to set up a 308 AR to weigh only 6 lb for a walking rifle, you can certainly do that without going to extremes on crazy light components.

I think the biggest perception of 308 ARs being "heavy" is just the larger form factor. They feel bigger in the hands, and that bulk makes them feel like a lot more rifle compared to an AR15 of the same weight. It's just a perception, but it seems to have a big effect on a lot of owners.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
https://www.springfield-armory.com/products/saint-victor-ar-10-308/

Check out the SA Saint Victor in 308. Specs say 7lb 11oz. Not in the Kimber Montana weight class, but the one I have seems well balanced.

I plan on using mine for close up, 50 yard or less, pig hunting. Going after them in the thick brush they like to hang out in. Added a red dot sight and a 10 round mag to keep light and handy. The muzzle brake is very effective, but I plan to wear electronic muffs while hunting.

I'm not much of an AR guy, but the price was right. I had thought of getting something like this many times and recently got lucky and won this one! smile

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Here are the 308 POF's:

https://pof-usa.com/firearms/revolution/

Not cheap, but as light as 7.1 lbs.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm not fond of the 20rnd magazines for hunting purposes. A 10-round magazine is a much better fit, and still plenty of capacity for anything I've ever needed.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JPro

I'm not fond of the 20rnd magazines for hunting purposes. A 10-round magazine is a much better fit, and still plenty of capacity for anything I've ever needed.

I second the 10 rounder.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by JPro

I second the 10 rounder.

Yep. Damn tough to get off more than 10 rounds on a sounder of hogs if your actually trying to hit em.

Five is the most I’ve ever killed in a group once they start running.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 08/17/19.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I thank you guys for the input. Several options have been presented & I will look them all over.

Robert E. Lee
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've got a Windham Weaponry .308 that weighs 7 1/2 # and 10 1/4 # with a Nikon P308 scope and heavy Burris AR15 scope mount. Be careful buying your AR10, they aren't mil-spec and everyone's parts don't interchange. Make sure you get what you want upfront. My Windham has never missed a beat with anything I've shot thru it. Very well put together. I think an AR10 is a good investment for something a little more punch than an AR15. Love all my AR15s and do shoot them quite a lot more for more practical purposes and cheaper ammo though.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dla
DPMS was the lightest, but recently I saw an add for one with a polymer lower that came in even lighter. Sorry but I'm having a brain fluff right now and can't remember the name. The price was cheaper too.

Tennessee Arms makes polymer lowers. I have a 308 lower but I have never assembled it. I have several AR15 lowers and I shoot them on a regular basis. I have one with a 14.5 inch barrel and an A1 upper that is well under 6 lbs with a Magpul rear sight and an A2 front. The only issue with the light rifles is the recoil with hot loads.
https://www.tnarmsco.com/ar-308/

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
R
R
I have the Saint Victory and its great!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (1minute, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 2,141 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,743
Posts18,457,713
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.