Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
whistle

The better question... Is it time to use that AR yet?

Much going on that is sideways with the Constitution.. some very seriously sideways.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hopefully all my parts show up for my AR pistol next week. 10.5 inch barrel in 5.56.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I have a built it myself version of this, but this Ruger looks to be all that.

Add can, light and laser and you have a home defense gun and a hog killer all in one!

Last edited by David_Walter; 08/16/19.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Since astigmatism prevents me from using a red dot sight, I stuck one of these on my AR. Vortex discontinued them and were blowing them out for 50 bucks each. I'll probably go with something lighter eventually. But I couldn't turn it down for 50 bucks. It has a huge eyebox and is very clear,...plenty of eye relief.

https://vortexoptics.com/catalog/product/view/id/3447

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by 79S
Hopefully all my parts show up for my AR pistol next week. 10.5 inch barrel in 5.56.

Looking forward to the range report.

Let us know in the AR forum how it shoots and what it like.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Just put a Colt in the hopper...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Can't own the first type if you don't own the second type to protect your right to own the first type. I have no less a right to own a firearm to defend myself and my family than I do to breathe air. A good govt is one that fears it's constituents.
Not saying you can't. Just saying that you can defend yourself as well with one AR as you can 10.

But a guy with 10 can make 9 friends....

My take on this is that if those 9 "friends" didn't think beforehand what could happen, they'd be pretty useless when the time comes. I don't think that you could count on them in a crunch.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Can't own the first type if you don't own the second type to protect your right to own the first type. I have no less a right to own a firearm to defend myself and my family than I do to breathe air. A good govt is one that fears it's constituents.
Not saying you can't. Just saying that you can defend yourself as well with one AR as you can 10.

But a guy with 10 can make 9 friends....

My take on this is that if those 9 "friends" didn't think beforehand what could happen, they'd be pretty useless when the time comes. I don't think that you could count on them in a crunch.

I disagree. Out here in the country there are lots of folks who hunt, fish, shoot, and spend a lot of time outdoors. They may not keep up on the latest and greatest guns and gear, and may not have any real interest in semi-auto rifles. Their money may be spent on a million other things, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't know what to do and how to do it when the time comes.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by David_Walter

I have a built it myself version of this, but this Ruger looks to be all that.

Add can, light and laser and you have a home defense gun and a hog killer all in one!

Is that a true AR? I believe Ruger was producing an AR look a like for a while, but no parts compatibility.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
The only difference that I believe Ruger made was with the barrel nut and the delta ring, IIRC.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
All I know is AR's are a lot of fun...

Hang on to your memories; they're better than the real thing ever was - Joe Sherlock

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Riddle me this: Seems that production in recent years has supported faster twists and heavier bullets. Too, it seems the 16" barrel is pretty much standard. Shorter barrels/heavier bullets = lower MV/louder muzzle blast. Out of curiosity why did we move in this direction? The question stems from baseline experience wherein the old -16 pretty much killed whatever one shot with it....

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
CQB -Close Quarters Battle

In a street fight, at across the street or across the room distances, an AR pistol or 10.5” SBR is handy and wicked easy to drive.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The M-16 and CAR 15 of the Nam era were pretty nimble as I recall. So, part of the riddle I ponder, if one is disposed to go full Monty in CQB why do we do so with quick twists and heavy bullets? Chop it down to a 10.5" barrel and one is pizzing away a lot of velocity and nastiness that follows a hit. I never, and mean NEVER saw anyone hit with a -16 or CAR15 for that matter that stayed in the game of life, not even for a short spell. Pop'n flop was their mode, usually not a lot of emphasis on the flopping thing. They claim it had to do with bullet tumbling, mebbe, mebbe not. Seems to me someone is selling horse feathers in the market place.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
The M-16 and CAR 15 of the Nam era were pretty nimble as I recall. So, part of the riddle I ponder, if one is disposed to go full Monty in CQB why do we do so with quick twists and heavy bullets? Chop it down to a 10.5" barrel and one is pizzing away a lot of velocity and nastiness that follows a hit. I never, and mean NEVER saw anyone hit with a -16 or CAR15 for that matter that stayed in the game of life, not even for a short spell. Pop'n flop was their mode, usually not a lot of emphasis on the flopping thing. They claim it had to do with bullet tumbling, mebbe, mebbe not. Seems to me someone is selling horse feathers in the market place.

I like the shorties for room to room scenarios. At that range, velocity is going to be plenty high (about what it would be at a couple hundred yards from a 16 inch barrel), and you won't be banging the barrel on the tops of doorways as you pass through them.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I seem to recall that the "experts" went with a heavier bullet because of the expected increased range of combat in the Middle East.

I've also heard that the 55 grain bullet was designed to tumble on impact,....don't know if it's fact or not. I've seen tests in ballistic gelatin where the 55 grain bullet fragments at the cannelure.

One interesting aspect of the gelatin test was that the 55 grain bullet would create a large temporary expansion cavity that started almost immediately upon impact when it was traveling at around 3100 fps. But at lower velocities the expansion cavity would appear further back in the gelatin.

My takeaway from the test was, at 2700 fps or so, the bullet would just pencil through before it had an opportunity to disrupt. But a few hundred fps more, it would create a lot of disruption beginning at impact.

Maybe the lower velocities from heavier bullets/shorter barrels reduced the lethality of the 5.56?

,...just my ponderings on the subject. Maybe legit,....maybe not.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
JFC, 11' or 20'' hitting the target and continuing to do so until the problem is solved is always the answer. I mostly shoot a DD or LMT 14.5" and regularly kill coyotes out to around 500 yards. I am guessing that they would have the same affect on humans. 55 gr V max and 77gr. BH OTM both work but I would take the BH for larger critters. That being said I have about 4k rounds of the latter so that may influence my choice.

Modern ARs from quality mfgr.s are very reliable and fairly accurate. Not all ARs are the same no matter what the poor folks say.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
,...now ya done got lvmiker all worked up.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Colt made the stuff I used and I used it a lot. Never had a malfunction with the -16 or -15. Nor did my peers to the best of my knowledge. Engagement ranges varied from 20' to perhaps 300 meters. My opinion only but they been fixing something not broken.

I am..........disturbed.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Well, I have a carbine. No downside, but, I think a littler one would be handy as heck too. And very well could be unavailable sooner than later. I am not completely sold on the Ruger, S&W, PSA etc etc. However, I am not going to be buying a $1400 anything.... When it comes time I much rather have a heavier SP or HP rather than a 55 FMJ. I don't need to read or guess to arrive there either. And zombies at 50 yards best turn the hell around. LOL Payday today and nothing getting ordered. We'll see.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,912 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,357
Posts18,468,926
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.