Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A lot of what you say is true IMO.

As I side note watching TV shows and range shooters , most people are over bowed , so repition will at least get them stronger.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
with respect and honor for the bucks i hunt and kill with my bow ,i have pride in drawing my bow and putting that hand sharpened broadhead - arrow thru that bucks chest and then watch that old buck make his death run. that`s why i practice for insurance that i kill that buck quickly with my arrow ! Bowhunting bigger whitetail bucks is very difficult most of the time , you don`t get many close shots with a bow in a person`s life time that`s why i practice as much as i can and have.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by pete53
"........Bowhunting bigger whitetail bucks is very difficult most of the time , you don`t get many close shots with a bow in a person`s life time that`s why i practice as much as i can and have.

Pete53: I do not know where you hunt but I will assure you I've never drawn my bow on ANY game animal ,sans a bull moose in BC that stood broadside at 45 yds,over 30 yds. I've killed some darn nice bucks in my life 40 in a row as a matter of fact that score over 125" my largest a 193"+ was shot at 12 yds. How did I accomplish that? By learning to hunt from a treestand that is placed at the proper spot. I used to stillhunt an still do a little of it today but after I learned where to place a stand when to hunt it without over hunting it my success rate went up.
No disrespect meant or intended what is an accepted hunting style in one area may not be in another. On one of my 5 caribou hunts to northern Quebec the guide insisted I take a 70 yd shot at a monster bull after we could not stalk any closer in the tundra after I rfused to do so he cussed a blue streak and headed back to camp without me. Later that day I killed a bigger bull by myself at 25 yds with a double lung shot....needless to say he got no tip from me.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Angus1895
A lot of what you say is true IMO.

As I side note watching TV shows and range shooters , most people are over bowed , so repition will at least get them stronger.

I would say 90% of bowhunters are over bowed, and I think I am being very conservative on that number.

If you can not hold your bow hand out straight with your sight on the target and draw your bow EVERYTIME, than you are over bowed PERIOD!

I will also add that if you feel the need or desire to shoot 60+ yard shots you may as well rifle hunt. Bowhunting is about close shots.

Personally I think releases should be illegal. We need to get archery back to reality.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Hectortwsp
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Poking holes one after another does nothing but teach you bad habits.

This has got to be one of the dumbest statements ever. I am sure Brady, Butch, Reo, Dave, Jesse, and add any other great archers to the list would agree with you, NOT!

You don't become great not shooting a lot of arrows constantly.

Ha!! you can bet good $ I believe my own statement! There are few and I repeat darn few archers among the world's best whom benefit from repetative shooting be it gun or bow. Ask them yourself, the easiest way to pick up a bad habit is to become too repetitive in your mechanics your brain will soon become bored forcing you make mental shortcuts whether you acknowledge them or not ( recall that "flyer" you made for no apparent good reason in your last outing?). i.e., snipers train with one or two shots at a time. I taught archery, most likely prior to your birth for 25 years to some well accomplished archers an the equipment we used then was not nearly as critical as today's
Hey I too enjoy pounding the backstop into weak spots but that is not a productive way to practice. Facts prove 85% of practice should be done prior to actually picking up a bow with a false draw system and a back tension release practicing your form...poor form is the result of repetitive movements...muscle memory is formed easily as it os much easier to train your muscles than train your brain.
But why try to elighten those whom seem to know all the answers?

You are either dumb as a box of rocks, or are just trying to stir the pot. Either way I stand by my statement "This has got to be one of the dumbest statements ever!" I have asked them and they all say the same thing, shooting everyday and lots of arrows per day.

IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Well this box of rocks got you figured out. 1 question I have an I would imagine many others have is: If you got this archery thing figured out so well that you seem to have all the answers why isn't your name common place among archers? Could it be you're a star in your own mind or just not good enough to compete except with the local boys at 3D shoots? Either way I have no interest in this conversation anymore.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well this box of rocks got you figured out. 1 question I have an I would imagine many others have is: If you got this archery thing figured out so well that you seem to have all the answers why isn't your name common place among archers? Could it be you're a star in your own mind or just not good enough to compete except with the local boys at 3D shoots? Either way I have no interest in this conversation anymore.

I have a thing called a JOB, I prefer hunting, I have a lot of other activities that I partake in. To shoot on that level takes a lot of time and commitment. I don't shoot very much 3D and the ones I do are just for fun. I do compete locally in target archery but haven't in a few years. Again so many other things going on it's hard to fit everything in. We can shoot head to head if you would like.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
See Samick makes a 17" ILF.
W shorts that'd be 58" (my fave).
Hmmmmm, that would be a fun rig to try fixed crawl.
Might get one for X mas and play w that indoors.
Buddy went to ETAR, have not got a report back yet.
He said go low# and join him next yr.

Just might.

Kept my old 35/55's from my lower # Widow.
Good enough reason to buy a new bow (don't let old arrows go to waste).

Might get me to actually shoot more, something new to mess with.

Am sick right now, doc on Mon. Hopefully start shooting by end of the week.
Not much, have to work into it.
Normally do, but am weaker due to some virus going around.

Last edited by hookeye; 08/10/19.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
the shoulder surgeon told me this; limit your archery practice and decide rather you want to bowhunt or try to shoot target archery somehow,i decided to bowhunt with a 50 lb. bow and cut on impact broadheads on my arrows i make.so i look at my archery equipment and can`t hardly wait to start shooting my bow again around September,the wait is only because of my very poor shoulders that both have been operated on. i am not a rich man who travels the world to bowhunt or go on fence bowhunts, but do just fine on decent whitetail bucks, nor do i put my antlers in a book or have them scored to impress the world, but believe me,my son and myself have done ok bowhunting. and i still like to practice shooting my bow.Pete53

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
the shoulder surgeon told me this; limit your archery practice and decide rather you want to bowhunt or try to shoot target archery somehow,i decided to bowhunt with a 50 lb. bow and cut on impact broadheads on my arrows i make.so i look at my archery equipment and can`t hardly wait to start shooting my bow again around September,the wait is only because of my very poor shoulders that both have been operated on. i am not a rich man who travels the world to bowhunt or go on fence bowhunts, but do just fine on decent whitetail bucks, nor do i put my antlers in a book or have them scored to impress the world, but believe me,my son and myself have done ok bowhunting. and i still like to practice shooting my bow.Pete53

If your shoulders are so bad why are you shooting 50lb? Do yourself a huge favor and drop the weight. And strengthen those shoulders, it's never to late to get them strong. Lots of great PT's out there that could get you back to at least 75-80%.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
the pt`s have got me back to 50 lbs. with the use of the green rubber bands every 3 days , my surgeon wants to replace my left shoulder,if i did that my limit with that shoulder would be 15 lbs. and can do 60 lbs.if i wanted too. but i could also damage my shoulder some more so i stay around 50lbs. that is all i have ever needed for big whitetails with a Zwickey broadhead in December.

Last edited by pete53; 08/16/19.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
the pt`s have got me back to 50 lbs. with the use of the green rubber bands every 3 days , my surgeon wants to replace my left shoulder,if i did that my limit with that shoulder would be 15 lbs. and can do 60 lbs.if i wanted too. but i could also damage my shoulder some more so i stay around 50lbs. that is all i have ever needed for big whitetails with a Zwickey broadhead in December.

All I hear is excuses. If you are not going to fix the shoulder than its super simple drop the weight. But it is your pity party so have at it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

All I hear is excuses. If you are not going to fix the shoulder than its super simple drop the weight. But it is your pity party so have at it.

yes we have a winner,when you understand shoulder problems get back to me ,i have had the surgeries. there will be no excuses i will bowhunt this fall with a drawn bow again for only a decent whitetail buck.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M

yes we have a winner,when you understand shoulder problems get back to me ,i have had the surgeries. there will be no excuses i will bowhunt this fall with a drawn bow again for only a decent whitetail buck.

I am well aware of shoulder problems. If you really have/had a shoulder problem why in the world are you pulling a 50lb bow? You are either just stupid or full of [bleep]. Take your pick.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
not all of us are so full of ourselves as you are, nor do we post like some Macho Bowhunter who thinks he`s some kind of a archery GOD -hero from bum duck Egypt. ITS OVER YOU HAVE WON IN YOUR OWN MIND.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
not all of us are so full of ourselves as you are, nor do we post like some Macho Bowhunter who thinks he`s some kind of a archery GOD -hero from bum duck Egypt. ITS OVER YOU HAVE WON IN YOUR OWN MIND.

Yeah I am smart enough to know that if I have a bad shoulder I am not going to be pulling more weight then I actually need to to cleanly and humanly kill the animal. Which 40lbs will do all day everyday. Which in turns means I can practice more and that in turn will help build whatever is left there of the shoulder to build. I know that is so hard to comprehend for you. Or is it just to hard for you to take solid advice from others? Either way it is your loss.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
“Peak”by Anders Ericsson and the role of deliberate practice.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

192 members (257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 280shooter, 204guy, 30 invisible), 1,864 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,162
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.