Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Marley7x57
To answer the OP question-No, I never wonder if a dead person is watching.

It doesn't matter if they cant kick your ass.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
GB1

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by earlybrd
I know it’s a odd question but had to let a employee go the other day he kept pestering me for a dollar raise hadn’t been there 3 months I kept telling him to wait for 6 months I new he was worth the raise but he hadn’t been with me long enough to trust so discussing it with my wife when I got to bed I explained how long it took me to get to that amount and wished I could find an old check stub from that period I told her I was going to read awhile and picked up a book I hadn’t read in several years and low and behold when I opened it one of those stubs fell out that my dad had wrote who died in 2016 I own the business now and 3rd generation

So he was worth the raise but you let him go.............Hard to wrap my head around that one. As hard as it is to find decent employees these days I would think one would want to keep a good one when they found one.

Why didn’t you tell him he was deserving of the raise, but he wasn’t getting it until he was there 6 months?

That's why I absolutely cannot work for other people.

I do like to think that I have been the type boss that tries to listen and understand my employees though...

I remember what it's like to ask for time off to go do something really important, only to be denied. Or listen to why an employee needed an advance or thought they needed a raise.

You just never know what someone has going on at home away from work. One employee needed a raise and advance. I asked why, and was told he little sister had cancer, and he mom had to quit her job to care for her, and he had to support them one way or another...

I gave him the raise and the advance with a note on the check stub he didn't have to pay it back... Just pay it forward when the time was right.

I have the best friends in the world. Even KW ain't half bad.

Last edited by jaguartx; 08/17/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I know it’s a odd question but had to let a employee go the other day he kept pestering me for a dollar raise hadn’t been there 3 months I kept telling him to wait for 6 months I new he was worth the raise but he hadn’t been with me long enough to trust so discussing it with my wife when I got to bed I explained how long it took me to get to that amount and wished I could find an old check stub from that period I told her I was going to read awhile and picked up a book I hadn’t read in several years and low and behold when I opened it one of those stubs fell out that my dad had wrote who died in 2016 I own the business now and 3rd generation

Sort of thought you yanks would be familiar with that feeling, with dems being at polling stations.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
'Make what you're worth' and the free market gets suffocated when it's a small business and a greedy [bleep] keeps a tight grip on Every dime so he can do better and better and pay just enough to keep people from leaving.

Seen it too many times.

"Just enough to keep them from leaving" is actually the correct amount to pay. Labor is nothing more than an necessary evil in providing a good or service.

Lots of folks have become rich from good help and many have gone under from bad.

When a good hand has to start shopping around they often sign the new contract before the old boss knew of his loss.

That's how the free market works. Old boss got complacent and didn't keep up with the going labor rate. If the going rate for a particular skill is $20 an hour, you can probably find someone for $18, but you can bet he won't be worth a chit. Best bet is to pay just above $20 and get someone passable. Still you have to separate the wheat from the chaff.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Why was the guy working for less than he thought he was worth in the first place? I approached a local business about working part time as a machinist to supplement my income from teaching auto mechanics in a public school system where I was taking a pretty severe pay cut to have good health insurance for family members with expensive, chronic illnesses. We discussed the job and its responsibilities, and I asked for what I considered to be a fair wage. The business owner agreed, and I worked there for a little over three years. Yes, I had a key to the building and the alarm code, and I usually worked my own hours after closing time without any supervision. Quite by accident, I discovered that my "part time" wage was more than some of the full time employees were making. I'm very sure the work I was doing was making the business a profit, or they would not have kept paying me. When I owned a business I had some very simple rules for my employees- - - -"Get to work on time, earn your pay, and don't steal from me!" When a pay raise was appropriate I offered it before a good employee got around to asking. The ones who only worked enough to "break even" and didn't contribute to the success of the business didn't stay around long.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Why was the guy working for less than he thought he was worth in the first place? I approached a local business about working part time as a machinist to supplement my income from teaching auto mechanics in a public school system where I was taking a pretty severe pay cut to have good health insurance for family members with expensive, chronic illnesses. We discussed the job and its responsibilities, and I asked for what I considered to be a fair wage. The business owner agreed, and I worked there for a little over three years. Yes, I had a key to the building and the alarm code, and I usually worked my own hours after closing time without any supervision. Quite by accident, I discovered that my "part time" wage was more than some of the full time employees were making. I'm very sure the work I was doing was making the business a profit, or they would not have kept paying me. When I owned a business I has some very simple rules for my employees- - - -"Get to work on time, earn your pay, and don't steal from me!" When a pay raise was appropriate I offered it before a good employee got around to asking. The ones who only worked enough to "break even" and didn't contribute to the success of the business didn't stay around long.
Jerry

The best time for an employee to get more money is BEFORE accepting a job offer.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
What hotrod said.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A dollar raise is indeed a lot of money when you reward a promising employee who is still on probation. Now you have ten other employees who have been with you longer and feel they need a raise to. The older employees are training the new guy.

I don't know what it costs others to bring a new employee on line but it cost us a lot. Safety clothing, training in procedures, special tool training and factory schools for specialized work. It will be months before a new employee becomes truly productive and the training never stops. Invest time and money into an employee and you're competitor steals him because he wants a different shift. Six Months later the employee wants to come back to work a different shift of because he thinks the benefits are better with you.

Some employees will stay for years and turn down offers because we treat them right. Some will jump ship for a plate of barbeque and a cold beer.
You get to where you watch an employee closely in probation. Establish goals and discuss the successes and the failures to meet those goals. Don't tell the employee there is a raise coming out of probation and don't promise specific amounts of money. Everyone needs a pleasant surprise.

Slim
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Anyone ever think about your dead relatives watchin you from heaven while youre jerkin off? There's really no where to hide.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
Anyone ever think about your dead relatives watchin you from heaven while youre jerkin off? There's really no where to hide.

I'm sure the Good Lord runs a commercial during those episodes.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I've seen so much incompetence in management of companies that it's ridiculous.

One machine shop I where I worked designed and built automated machines for factories.

Engineering designed a machine. Management quoted it at 800 hours. Us toolmakers built a beautiful representation of the machine,...but it didn't work. It was a bad design. By the time it got debugged and "sort of" worked, there was 3200 hours in it.

Management called the shop foreman in and dressed him down for taking 3200 hours to "build" the machine.

It didn't take 3200 hours to build the machine. It took 3200 hours to unfug the design that was produced by engineering.

The shop foreman came out,..packed his tools,..shook hands all around, then left,...opened his own shop.

Put the shop he quit out of business. The people who ran the shop that he quit eventually got in trouble with the IRS and lost *everything* they owned.

Everybody working there saw it coming and started looking around for other jobs. I left about 6 months before the IRS hammer came down on the place.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

The trick is a Tin Foil tent............Just an FYI.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by NVhntr

I'm sure the Good Lord runs a commercial during those episodes.

Hopefully it's an infomercial

I hate to be rushed

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Think about your mom watching and wondering if you washed up afterward. Or your third-grade teacher watching and saying: "see Johnny, I told you you'd be a jerkoff."

Last edited by Remington6MM; 08/17/19.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
so discussing it with my wife when I got to bed I explained how long it took me to get to that amount and wished I could find an old check stub from that period

You're reminding me of my dad, he would never allow inflation to have a bearing in his decisions.

If you think about how many years ago it was for you to get that amount inflation adjusted, it would help you and the people in your world. In the 1950's for example a dollar was quite a lot when a hamburger was 25 cents, and fries were 20 cents, a gallon of gas 21 cents.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd hate to work for one of those old "Cokes were a nickel" guys.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rem141r
do you mean like hoping my dead parents aren't watching when i'm standing in a bucket of water with a battery charger hooked to my nuts and beating off with a ear of field corn stuck up my ass?

You work up to the battery charger set on 70 amp jump start yet? What do you use on the corn cob? Asking for a friend.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So that's what happened to David Carradine...I'll be durn.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Only you guys could take a thread about a scroogey fugger and his business practices and turn into a thread about chokin your chiggun.

nyrifleman would be appalled

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Sounds to me as though the guy felt he knew what he was worth, and just decided to move on to where somebody was willing to pay it.
An employer should never get sore eyes looking at someone he thinks is overpaid.
And thesame can be said of those who choose not to be self employed.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

138 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 21 invisible), 1,763 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.