Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M

For many years I’ve used Celotex (Fiber Board) for my target frame to staple my targets to. Well years and hundreds of rounds and it needs replacing. Can’t find fiber board anymore. What do you guys use for thesis purpose at home or at the range! Thanks, memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
At one of my clubs, we use 1/2 foam core from discarded trade show displays. It’s great stuff. You might have to dumpster dive your local convention center/ hotel.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I use a sheet of plywood that has been cut into 20x24.

They take a lot of shots and even with the center shot away they still work.

I use duct tape to hold targets on and after several trips i take them off then put a new target on the board.

The stand is one of the older highway caution sign holders so it does not need to be stuck in the ground and when done shooting it folds up.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I use the thick rubber horse stall mats found at tractor supply. Somewhat self healing, they last well.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
At our club we use discarded campaign signs. They last a pretty good while and are free for the asking after elections are over

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
cardboard?

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I like fur on my targets............... grin

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
I use the thick rubber horse stall mats found at tractor supply. Somewhat self healing, they last well.

John

John, I was just looking at them at a local store (similar to Tractor Supply)......thinking that may be good for my purpose. My wife and I discussed it about a week ago, and she didn’t think it would work well.....I’m glad to hear that it works well. I assume that you “staple” your targets to the mat! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks for all of the ideas, even the “furry” one. The groups may be a little difficult to measure on the “furry” target though!! grinm Though, if the bullet doesn’t hit exactly as planned... you could blame it on the target moving! wink memtb

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Cardboard.

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/18/19.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
1/2 plywood works well!

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I’v used plywood before, but sometimes the plywood “splinters” back into the paper.....making measuring groups impossible! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 08/18/19.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I use recycled election signs. They give the added satisfaction of punching holes in the signs of those I voted against.

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
I use recycled election signs. They give the added satisfaction of punching holes in the signs of those I voted against.

I may place the used election signs behind the target....a “two for one”! grin memtb

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by memtb
I’v used plywood before, but sometimes the plywood “splinters” back into the paper.....making measuring groups impossible! memtb

Yeah, I've always used plywood. It works, but not the greatest. At our club, we use something like election signs. Its corrugated plastic that you can buy in sheets at home depot. It works pretty good and lasts a while. Seems like I'm always replacing the plywood and its heavier than the plastic sign material. More weight is sometimes better if you are shooting in the wind though.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

John

John, I was just looking at them at a local store (similar to Tractor Supply)......thinking that may be good for my purpose. My wife and I discussed it about a week ago, and she didn’t think it would work well.....I’m glad to hear that it works well. I assume that you “staple” your targets to the mat! memtb

I use push pins to secure the targets. Target frame is 2 7/8 oilfield pipe sized to fit the mat. On the inside of the frame is 1 1/2” metal strap welded to the pipe. I secure the mat to the strap with bolts, fender washers and locknuts.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

John

I use push pins to secure the targets. Target frame is 2 7/8 oilfield pipe sized to fit the mat. On the inside of the frame is 1 1/2” metal strap welded to the pipe. I secure the mat to the strap with bolts, fender washers and locknuts.

John

Geez, I was going to ask if the rubber mats didn't make your target stand heavy but I guess with the rest of the construction, weight is not an issue!
Mine is 3/8 plywood with aluminum angle iron frame, I have to transport it to and from the range and carry it to set up.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I use cardboard in all my target frames, when I get a supply of large cardboard cartons I cut them to fit the different target stands so I always have a supply. The target stands are marked with a Sharpie as to the size cardboard that fits each. For a lightweight easily transportable target I hot glue spring clothespins to all four corners of cardboard and clip the backer to orange fiberglass driveway marker stakes.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go by construction job sites pick up scraps of OSB

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

John

John

Geez, I was going to ask if the rubber mats didn't make your target stand heavy but I guess with the rest of the construction, weight is not an issue!
Mine is 3/8 plywood with aluminum angle iron frame, I have to transport it to and from the range and carry it to set up.

Blacktailer, I’m lucky, as these are a permanent set-up. Our bench for our little range (100 and 300 yards) is right out the back door! One of these days I’m gonna build a lightweight, portable, setup for long range shooting. We’ll have to drive a mile or so to shoot long range! memtb

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

244 members (1OntarioJim, 16penny, 160user, 22kHornet, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 23 invisible), 1,538 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,177
Posts18,465,483
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.