Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
All,

I have a couple years to go to retirement and I hope to flee California. For the record, none of the things I voted for passed, except Prop 8, the definition of marriage that was overturned by a gay judge. I won't be bringing any liberal ideas with me.

But I will be bringing two daughters. One will be a teen, the other a "tween". Is Logan a good place to finish raising girls? I want peace and quiet and no thug life gagsta crap. Shooting is a must, hunting can't be worse than here. I love to waste time on a river bank. Most people call it fishing but I won't lie; I am a lousy fisherman. My backpacking days are limited but Utah is gorgeous. I have seen too many of Tikkanut's photos and other's before him. I have an old work friend up in Thayne.

What do you think?

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
GB1

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Lived in Utah once for 5 years. Too many mormons for me. Got tired of the neighbors sicking the missionaries on me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Both Logan and Thayne look like beautiful places & either seem like a good choice. There's probably considerably fewer Leftist morons there as well, which is a big plus, in my book. Taxes will certainly be lower than CA, but there's a State income tax in UT, if that's of any concern to you.

Good luck on your impending retirement. I hope you can get out of SF sooner rather than later.

Last edited by High_Noon; 08/17/19.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Good luck Tracy.

I owe you so damn much as it stands.....you could come out and sit on my river bank as long as you want.

For the record, I dont think there is a dang thing wrong with Utah. Some of my friends...(Mormons) like the Logan area.

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
A friend from Idaho sent his daughter to college in Logan, with one of the goals being to keep her in a safe environment (as colleges go). She was happy in Logan and it was a good place for her as well. Sample size of 1, of course.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Logan is beautiful and plenty to do around there. Winters can be pretty harsh, but that's Utah in general other than St. George. And no one is going to sick missionaries on you. Great place to raise kids.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
You can be in North Central Montana.....basically the end of the earth....and still have a Mormon or a JW come and visit you.

Hell, just be polite....ask em how the weather is....how the crops are coming along.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
logan is a cute little town, I recommend going on the north side of town. OR on the other side of the mountain in an area like tremonton, probably what I would pick if considering the area. it will not be as cold there. Logan does get quite a bit colder than the salt lake area. I also hear the winter air can be more polluted up there. Tikka is more south, Price area down that way. That area is more remote I would say than where you are thinking, not a bad area at all, if more remote ness is your goal. It really depends on how much cold you can handle. IF you can handle a greater amount. I would actually consider over the border to evanston wyoming.

Utah isn't a conservative state financially. although most around here think we are because they always vote for the guy with an R next to their name. In reality our legislature has raised taxes every year since 2012 despite having budget surpluses in those years. You see spending all the surplus wasn't enough. We are only conservative on social issues. You will see a big increase in gun rights, here. but for me wyoming seems attractive, no state income tax, and every time we turn around they keep raising taxes for schools, its for the children don't you know. If I could find an area in wyoming that wasn't so cold and windy and isn't an insane drive to get to airports and civilization I would actually pick that. wyoming will be the freest state the longest out of the states in the general area.

another area I might consider is Reno, its got similar climate to salt lake area. NO STATE INCOME TAX like wyoming. lots of interesting places. where I want to retire has been on my mind quite a bit even though its a long time off for me. I honestly don't know where I want to end up. Other than I am free, and without my taxes being jacked up every year.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Fugg Evanston Wyoming, talk about an armpit.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

Hmmmmm........are you being sarcastic?

Sometimes you are sarcastic....

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

yeah maybe, I drove around there looking for places. south of town is gorgeous headed up toward mirror lake. but it looks like no land is for sale, and everyone says its very very cold in the winter there. The summers there are beautiful with the unitas in the background. I hope you were not thinking I am talking plunking down right in town. Yeah that isn't the place to be. It is however one hell of a lot cheaper to live over the border there though. utah is becoming very liberal. mitt romney only won salt lake county by 3% when he ran for senate over a political no body. I predict we will vote republican for 4 more presidential elections. on the 5th one utah will be a blue state, just like colorado and nevada on the border of us.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tracy, the Logan area is as described by others and a pretty good place - with the benefit of a local state university - but more coolish than I would want in winter. Before deciding on an area of Utah, why not look also at the more southern aspect - like Cedar City and environs - much less population density, some very good hunting, good fishing up the hill, and a more moderate winter. Just a suggested alternative.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tracy, another area is the Ogden valley. Cities like Eden, or Liberty. Country living close to the city. Be prepared for COLD winters.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Owl
Tracy, another area is the Ogden valley. Cities like Eden, or Liberty. Country living close to the city. Be prepared for COLD winters.

Cold winters you say??

I am MAGA.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by CCCC
Tracy, the Logan area is as described by others and a pretty good place - with the benefit of a local state university - but more coolish than I would want in winter. Before deciding on an area of Utah, why not look also at the more southern aspect - like Cedar City and environs - much less population density, some very good hunting, good fishing up the hill, and a more moderate winter. Just a suggested alternative.

Good advice. I'd take Cedar City over Logan. High enough to have four seasons, but a short drive to St. George. Prime muley country and excellent fishing within a short drive.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Lots of things to like about Wyoming, Evanston isn't one of them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cedar city might me a great choice. It’s an easy drive down the hill to warmer weather plus if you still have family connections in California it’s an easier drive back

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Lots of things to like about Wyoming, Evanston isn't one of them.

Okay. I dont know much about Wyoming.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Gentlemen,

Please keep these ideas coming. I have long liked northern Arizona and thought Utah was beyond my reach. But a little miracle occurred and the Army has agreed to pay me my pittance of a retirement after all. So my choices are still the show Low-Taylor -Snowflake area of Arizona, Alamogordo of New Mexico, and now Logan, Utah. Alamogordo is close enough to military bases for me to take some small comfort in the use of the bases. Logan is not too far from Hill AFB on the south side of Ogden. Ogden does have a Gay Pride presence and I need a break from that.

I will try to check out Eden and Liberty as I have never been there.

The girls want snow - now. We shall see after a couple of winters how they like it.

I have driven through Price a couple of time and it is gorgeous country, but I don't want to shock the kids too much. I may still be married and that would be too much for her.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I spent 21 years in Utah in both SLC and Cedar City. If I was to move back it would be to Cedar City. College town, close to the beauty that Tikkanut shows us, not as overgrown and over crowded as the Wasatch Front or St. George, good hunting and fishing close at hand. And three hours to Vegas if you want a big city.
One of the reasons I left Utah was the high taxes but I'm sure they are not near as high as Cali. The Mormons have lots of kids and they need to tax you heavy to school them and keep up the increasing infrastructure that goes with the growth. Nobody ever sicked the missionaries on me and Mormons make good neighbors.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,650 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,992
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.