Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I already said I’ve killed a half dozen at close range with small birdshot. It will auger a hole into them just like a slug. And no it won’t exit but foster slugs often won’t either.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe you’ll believe Big sticks brother.

#8 shot rarely passes through a dove. WTF?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Mess with the Bull, you get the horns.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
OK, 3 buck and a semi-auto. Just in case they are out of birdshot range. Reflex sight?

Some bad ass little black dogs in Europe.

Some chitty rifle shooters all over.

Poor filming

Big groups of pigs, oh my.

I want an AR10 more than ever!

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 08/18/19.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Birdshot, up close and personal, will get the job done.
https://youtu.be/zaR1EVybUgc

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by TheKid

And for the record I’ve cut open some pretty big pigs looking for the “Shield” and haven’t found anything that a 50gr Btip from a 223 wouldn’t penetrate. They get some pretty thick hide over the shoulders but I’ve never managed to find the long touted cartilage shield on one.

Agreed. I’ve never seen this shield that people speak of. Maybe the fat layer? I’ve shot more pigs through the head than I can recall, usually with a 223. None of my experience has lead me to believe that there is any magic in killing a hog.

An ounce of birdshot at 10’ is nothing to bet against. I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to shoot a pig in the head with it at that range if that’s what I had.

I've never skinned a hog to look either, shot four wild hogs last spring here from the back porch, from 509 to iirc 579 yards with my old heavy 300 win mag, went up to check em out and did some penetration testing with my 40 cal and 200gr XTP handloads, shot the first 200lb dead boar straight in the shoulder from 5 feet, exit, went home and it occurred to me I didn't know where the 'shield' was, the next boar was about 225/250 lbs, black Russian nasty roguey sombitch, shot him through the shoulders at 5 feet, then put one tight behind the shoulder, again, two shots, two exits, I have no concerns about getting a hog or black bear to leave me alone with that old P226 and 200gr XTP handload.

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Bud of mine dropped one at 17 paces with 20 gauge and 6 shot squirrel hunting one morning couple seasons ago. 80 lb boar running straight at him. I've killed dozens with 308 , 35 Remington and bow . I stalk them on the ground every year and a lot of the shots are 10 yards. Biggest boar I have killed was this past season estimated 250 plus. Have been trying to kill a bigger one that I see every season that could be 350 plus but He doesn't give anyone a shot, always in the thickets and always running. Have to be careful not to shoot bears where I hunt , can't just shoot at big black animals then ground check what you killed.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Here’s the “shield” off a 200 pound ish pig. This is the thickest part over the top forward part of the shoulders. No bone, no cartilage, just hide. If it’s stopping bullets you’re using some really inferior bullets. [Linked Image]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Well that old pre-27 357 mag riding in that fine holster you sent me chunking 158gr Cast Performance hardcasts at 1400 fps dang sure wont be stopped by that. smile

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

I got a feeling I've met some Texas boys who have shot penned hogs with birdshot to see what happens. Next time I go visit I'll enquire.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
How do I locate this other than here?
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Darn, I almost missed your post, MB. I been looking for it a while and couldnt find it on UTube but was looking for it and watching others and found it in the right border of another video.

Top 5 Wild Boar Attacks 2019. Khalil Chasse.

Last edited by jaguartx; 08/18/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
This sounds like a fun idea, guys.

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Haha! Guy looked like one of the 7 dwarfs.

But shows that while a hog might come after you they aren’t exactly Cape buffalo

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Hahahah. "Mother Fu__er Bit Me".

I Dindo Nuffin
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
For extending longevity it’s best not to hunt grizz with a switch!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunzo
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Have killed a bunch of porkers with rifle rounds covering a large part of the caliber spectrum. My favorite is here in my hands, #3 buck at about 20 yards. That particular gun has accounted for about 70 hogs in its day, none required a repeat shot. Anyone doubting the efficacy of close range shot might not have a lot of experience with such things in the field. Fug a bunch of shield theory....it's not so much the gun as the jerk behind the trigger that gets it done.

[Linked Image]

Dang it Dan, wear a ring on your left ring finger once upon a time ? The real lesson here might be most 12 shells will work at very close distance on hogs, but just don't wear a ring while wrestling them.

I did, then one day it divorced me in a very final fashion. It stang a bit but the evolution has been useful at times. Cashiers that are diddlin' around quit as soon as I start wigglin' it at them. I can flip a bird with half the effort of most folks. Chicks always want to sit on my right side for some weird reason.

For the record, that's a 20 bore I'm holdin' there. I save the 12 bore for Godzilla.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Now this guy has a hog gun. What is this gun.

I Dindo Nuffin
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Did no 4 have a scarecrow decoy?

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Blurb on buck and ball loads

Buck and ball was a common load for muzzle-loading muskets, and was frequently used in the American Revolutionary War and into the early days of the American Civil War. The load usually consisted of a .50 to .75 caliber round lead musket ball (.69 caliber for the "Brown Bess" musket) that was combined with three to six buckshot pellets.

Video

Then we have the modern improved stuff.

Last edited by renegade50; 08/18/19.
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

148 members (10gaugemag, 14idaho, 1minute, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 24 invisible), 1,729 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,207
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.