Print Thread
Hop To
I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I am just about out of patches and was talking to my mom about going to get some ticking cloth for my patches experiment. She said I can stop by and get some and knew what ticking cloth was. I am pretty sure I found some in my pile of tarps I use for painting. It was an old drape from somewhere. I started cutting some patches to try them out. The cloth looks tighter that my store bought patches and 20 thousandths thick, just like store bought. I dont mind buying them online but the shipping is likely 10 bucks . I think Natches has 100 packs for $2.50 but will give these patches a try and lubed with some old bore butter I bought a long time ago. Anyone else cut their own patches? It would make sense on a cold winter night for something to do and could likely get 1000 out of this old drape.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
BP-B2

mch Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Make sure it does not have polyester or nylon in it. Light a small piece and if it burns instead of melting go ahead and try it.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Still using ticking I bought 40 years ago!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
A few years back I bought a 6' x 8' linen table cloth at a thrift store for three or four dollars. Excellent patch material, and LOTS of it.

My wife says I'm totally nuts, but I think I'm Semisane.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I cant imagine that getting pillow ticking is such a problem that someone would have to get on a computer and run it by other members to do it correctly.

jesus.. just go to WM and buy a yard. throw it in the wash with your old ladys drawers and in no time it will smell the same as your old stuff.

IC B2

I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
And I can't imagine that you would bother writing something like that If my post is so dumb . As a matter of fact. I went to Hobby Lobby and asked for it. They said it is on the shelf but noone was there to cut a yard or to make sure I was getting Ticking cloth so I left and called Jo Fabric. They were also almost no help. One did not even know what it was. So, yes, it was a pain in the ass cause there seems to be no such thing as experience of help out there. As for MCH, thanks for the tip. I didn't think of that. I know it has to be 100% cotton. My mom said Walmart had it but waited 20 min for help to get fabric so she left. She sews a lot . Later, ihookem.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Sorry if I insulted you, your post is not dumb.. I just couldn't imagine anyone having trouble finding pillow ticking that has been made ever since cotton was invented.

Last edited by Hubert; 08/18/19.

I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Yes, Amazing . I can't find help anywhere. I call a fabric store and the person did not know what it was. Hobby Lobby was no help and I didn't even bother with Walmart. In a way, my point was , there is noone out there that knows . How does a fabric store employee not know this? Also, I the sample burned and didn't melt so it is all cotton. Had it been nylon I could have really gunked up my barrel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are a few places on line that carry ticking.

Just do a Google search for cotton pillow ticking.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/163/1

1/2 square yards of several thicknesses.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 08/18/19.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
None of the big box stores have anybody that knows anything. Doesn't matter what type store you go to..That being said, I got two thicknesses of cotton ticking at Hobby Lobby; the lady (almost as old as myself) knew what it was, and had no problem cutting small yardages off the rolls. Not sure if the Dutch Schoultz system is going to be worth the trouble.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, it is worth the time and trouble. Take your micrometer and go to JoAnns. They will look at your funny but they don't have a clue. Don't limit yourself to ticking, any tight weave 100% cotton works fine. I use denim quite a bit it's usually thicker than ticking. Beware - some ticking has polyester in it now. Read the label on the bolt.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I remember buying ticking at JC Penney’s over 40 years ago and the woman helping me asked if I was going to sew it or shoot it!

She knew! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Founder

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've meet one lady at a JoAnns who knew what I was going to do. She said her husband shoots a flintlock.

I was looking for monks cloth to make char cloth once and none of the employees knew what it was. They had all the girls on duty looking for it. I finally found it myself. When I was paying for it the lady asked what I was going to do with it. I said "burn it" She looked at me funny and I couldn't resist yanking her chain, I said "the spell won't work if it isn't monks cloth"

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
"the spell won't work if it isn't monks cloth"

Well, that’s very true!!!!

Founder

WS

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
When I walk into Walmart and start measuring the thickness of cotton denim with a dial caliper I get some strange looks from the sales ladies. My chunk gun likes .017" thick denim, "dry lubed" with machinists' water-soluble cutting oil. .015" or .020" makes the group size go to crap.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
When I walk into Walmart and start measuring the thickness of cotton denim with a dial caliper I get some strange looks from the sales ladies. My chunk gun likes .017" thick denim, "dry lubed" with machinists' water-soluble cutting oil. .015" or .020" makes the group size go to crap.
Jerry

It is amazing how a couple of thousands inch difference in patching affects group size. Also amazing how many folks haven't a clue or a care.

Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I bought a lifetime supply of cotton pillow ticking at a Hancock fabric store 20 years ago, I still have most of it, neatly folded in my reloading room.

Amazon sells prelubed patches and shipping is included if you are a Prime member.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
605 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 160user, 17CalFan, 54 invisible), 2,710 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,737
Posts18,401,102
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.