Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
vintagegunscopes is on Ebay claiming that they have the best used scopes in the world.
Claim the everyone goes through a "depot level" inspection and refurbishment.
Prices are 2-400% of other like items. All their Ebay feedback as a seller is at least 6 months old.
Any member experience ?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Out of Corvallis, MT correct? I’ve seen their offerings also and was wondering the same about their reputation.

Last edited by 3dtestify; 08/18/19.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Have you checked their website. Sure looks like a going concern. They claim to ship to a number of countries overseas.

They ask a pretty penny for their stuff. One has to decide if the price is worth it for vintage appearance combined with perhaps mediocre optical performance compared to modern stuff. Certainly a collector might feel it is.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Since they have no feedback on Ebay, as a seller, for 6 months. I'm not buying a thing. No one of Opticstalk forum has heard of them.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
They sell direct, as far as I can tell. Why add the expense of ebay to the equation? If I had a really nice vintage rifle (I don't), I'd look into one. My old mausers are either beaters in appearance, or have been modernized. My old Husky wears a Lyman Permacenter that looks as worn as the rifle. Works fine.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Because if you buy thru Ebay and the scope is crap you have recourse.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WhiteWhiskers
Since they have no feedback on Ebay, as a seller, for 6 months. I'm not buying a thing.

And if everyone on e-bay thought and did what you're saying, how does one start a growing feedback count? Perhaps they stopped selling on e-bay for several months due to personal issues?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Since they have no feedback on Ebay, as a seller, for 6 months. I'm not buying a thing. No one of Opticstalk forum has heard of them.

OK, so you have made up your mind. Why are you asking here then? Just want to get a head start on the normal optics thread progression? confused
Welcome to the ‘fire, btw.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Because if you buy thru Ebay and the scope is crap you have recourse.

Sooo.... even with Recourse, you won't buy from them without Feedback. Okaayyy, so why ask then? Sounds like it was over before you started.

Lots of old scopes on Gunbroker, maybe some Feedback, but Recourse is reputedly sketchy. Good luck.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
No I won't buy because they are way overpriced. Nobody is gonna pay a VX3 price for a K4 weaver.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Yea they snag up old scopes at gunshows for 15-20 dollars I'll bet...
For me half the fun in setting up vintage rifles is the hunt ....I have found several really nice Lyman's and weavers for les than 40 bucks...

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Easy pass.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No I won't buy because they are way overpriced. Nobody is gonna pay a VX3 price for a K4 weaver.

Reason #3 for the win!

You might be surprised what some may be willing to pay. Collectors want period-correct scopes for their prizes, and many, right or wrong, regard older scopes as more reliable than current models, especially one brand we won't mention. And not everyone enjoys scouring the www or gunshows and pawnshops for stuff. I have a good source for stuff like this at reasonable prices, with Feedback, and Recourse, so in most cases, I'd use that instead, but I'm not ruling these guys out.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
WTH is "depot level inspection" anyway, I've never heard of that term. Can't conceive of what they do to an old scope to make it worth the prices they're asking. +1 on the easy pass for me too.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If they can see the home depo sign across the street its good to go..

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Maybe they replace the lenses with those with improved coating so your K-4 has the resolution and brightness of a VX-3. So now you have a scope that appears period correct but has 21 century innards. I would check 'em out before I trash them.

And I'm a fan of the recourse you'll find on Ebay. I got on an auction on Ebay for a supposedly almost NIB VX-3i 3.5-10x40 Leupold and won the auction for $290 some odd bucks. But when it showed up here at the house it wasn't what it was advertised to be. It was a 38 year old Vari X III. I know because I called Leupold and ran the SN by a C-S Tech and he said according to that SN it was made in 1981. In 1981 Scope lens coatings were in their infancy. Modern VX-1s have better coatings than that. If I would have settled for that scope I would have an entry level scope for damn near a VX-3 price. But thank God for Ebay's Recourse. I sent it back and they gave me my money back and I bought a brand new in the box VX-3i 3.5-10x40 from a store that sells out right on Ebay for a few dollars more, at $318.

Now I'm not saying that I'd run out and buy from these guys, but I am saying check them out better before passing them up. Check 'em out. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by Filaman; 08/21/19.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It looks like go slow, "depot level" inspection is the first warning. There is no such thing, just BS, to trick some
into thinking it is special. I would go with a trusted seller on here, before anything like that.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
At those prices, I'd expect to get a repair/refurbish summary sheet from Ironsight, Inc. with each scope.

If you're not in a hurry. like 8 to 14 months not in a hurry, Ironsight, Inc., does good work.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
At those prices, I'd expect to get a repair/refurbish summary sheet from Ironsight, Inc. with each scope.

If you're not in a hurry. like 8 to 14 months not in a hurry, Ironsight, Inc., does good work.

8-14 months for what ? Tell us more.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Farmboy1
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

8-14 months for what ? Tell us more.

To have your old scope rebuilt in Tulsa, OK.

www.ironsightinc.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1234, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,909 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,576
Posts18,453,975
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.