Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#14060491 08/18/19
222ND Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just wondering what the last patch is that people are running when cleaning a centerfire rifle barrel. I’m referring to a rifle that would be used within a short time frame, not something your going to store for long periods. I guess I usually go dry or a few small drops of CLP.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I run a patch of solvent, then dry patches until it comes out clean...I’m done. Oil will change poi on first round. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If the rifle is going to be used next weekend I'd leave it unoiled. I only put an oily patch up when the rifle is not going to be used for a while. However, I live in an area with hardy any humidity. If I lived near the coast or further north I'd run an oily patch up always and dry before using.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If getting put away for the season, RIG on a not too tight patch. The stuff was used in place of cosmoline by the military, though I suppose most anything would work if not handled or stored under harsh conditions. Otherwise what
s in Ed's Red or a little Kroil, and a dry patch when I take it out again.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 222ND
Just wondering what the last patch is that people are running when cleaning a centerfire rifle barrel.

Last patch gets 4-5 drops of Kroil that I run through twice, regardless of whether I'm shooting it in 5 minutes or 5 months.

I have no problem with clean/cold shots to 500 or beyond doing so........

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I'm getting ready to hunt, I shoot one round through the clean barrel and leave it at that. I always try to hunt with a very lightly fouled barrel.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Patches? cleaning a barrel? What are you guys talking about?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If it will be used in a fairly short period of time......at least 2 rounds fired. Almost all of the small-bore (30 caliber and under) firearms we have, show a definite POI change from a clean bore to a fouled bore. It seems the smaller the bore, the more dramatic the POI shift. Our hunting rifles “do not” show a significant POI change......but they get “fouling rounds” as well! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 08/21/19.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I quit using CLP as the last patch and instead went to Eezox. I had read years ago that the CLP I was using (Safariland) had teflon in it. Putting teflon in the bore was a question around first shot accuracy. Therefore, went to Eezox. I might be wrong here but that's my method.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shrapnel

It's like a foreign language.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by devnull
I quit using CLP as the last patch and instead went to Eezox. I had read years ago that the CLP I was using (Safariland) had teflon in it. Putting teflon in the bore was a question around first shot accuracy. Therefore, went to Eezox. I might be wrong here but that's my method.

Did you notice any difference in accuracy when you changed?

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I usually finish up with Ed's Red, still using on a large batch I mixed up 20 years ago. It's about all I use on my cast bullet rifles.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by shrapnel

"Patches? Patches??!! We don't need no stinkin' patches!!"

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Filaman
Originally Posted by devnull

Did you notice any difference in accuracy when you changed?

First shot seemed to not throw as many fliers when going to Eezox.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My last patch is Ed's Red, or more precisely the gun oil version which is simply 50% Kerosene and 50% ATF. If the rifle is not going to be out of the safe again in 6 months, I'll mix in Eezox.

I've found Ed's Red does an amazing job of deep cleaning. I just have to remember to run a patch down the barrel before the next use. If my deer rifles go into the safe in December, and I pick them out again in the summer, the Ed's Red will continue to pull crud out over the intervening months. The last patch may have been clean, putting them into the safe, but that first patch before shooting the next summer will be remarkably dirty.

For the rifles that are going to be used throughout the year, I just use the full Ed's Red mixture as the last patch. Again, I'll usually run a patch through as they're coming out of the safe to make sure the bore is clean.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (7mm_Loco, 007FJ, 44mc, 10gaugemag, 35, Akhutr, 10 invisible), 1,508 guests, and 781 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,565
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.