Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good (short) Read - clicky picky

[Linked Image]
German POW Barracks in the U. S.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My Uncle raised peas on his hog and beef farm for a year or two in WWII.
Somehow he had German POWs working for him at that time.
I remember eating Sunday dinner with them. They seemed to really enjoy my Aunt's good cooking.

my

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
South of Hattiesburg MS there's a state park, Paul B. Johnson state park, that has a lake where we used to hang out at when I was in school. That lake was built by German POW's during WWII that were housed at the nearby POW camp at Camp Shelby. From what I've been told many of the POW's made friends in the area and some would come back to visit after the war until they got too old.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Back in the late 80's I met a German U-Boat officer who was at a gun show selling his book... have no idea what his name was.

I remember him saying that being captured by the US was the best thing that ever happened to him. At first, he thought his train travel across the country was a propaganda stunt, since he couldn't believe that the US was in such great shape during the war. He said he had ice cream when he got to his camp, and continued to think it was propaganda. It wasn't until several days in, and they were served steak for dinner that he realized just how good America was, and how wrong his prior information was.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
South of Hattiesburg MS there's a state park, Paul B. Johnson state park, that has a lake where we used to hang out at when I was in school. That lake was built by German POW's during WWII that were housed at the nearby POW camp at Camp Shelby. From what I've been told many of the POW's made friends in the area and some would come back to visit after the war until they got too old.

Crow Hunter ,

I've been there , lots of hot females lounging around there back in the 80's .

A friend of mine took me to a place where the kept the prisoners as soon as the received them . Don't remember exactly where we were but 40-50 north of biloxi . There were concrete manhole looking -cage type outfit jutting out of a small hillside with steel bars covering the small entrance - maybe a dozen or more don't remember exactly . I remember thinking how bad it would have been to be in that hole with the skeeters in south mississippi .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by LoadClear
Back in the late 80's I met a German U-Boat officer who was at a gun show selling his book... have no idea what his name was.

I remember him saying that being captured by the US was the best thing that ever happened to him. At first, he thought his train travel across the country was a propaganda stunt, since he couldn't believe that the US was in such great shape during the war. He said he had ice cream when he got to his camp, and continued to think it was propaganda. It wasn't until several days in, and they were served steak for dinner that he realized just how good America was, and how wrong his prior information was.

That's awesome , hearing young spoiled punks & punkettes run their flappers about hating the United States - were I in charge their asses would have a new address somewhere abroad - non european country .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Apparently they missed one because there was one near Crossville.
Camp Forrest near Tullahoma TN, held quite a number of German prisoners.
They left the post each day, working in the surrounding farms and nurseries, returned each night.
The story is that most were captured on the Eastern Front and POW life in the US of A had much better living conditions

It has been absorbed into the Arnold Engineering and Development Center (AEDC) operated for the Air Force

TN Army National Guard has facilities on the base and several former POWs have stopped by to show family and look at where they were housed Way Back When.

Last edited by LouisB; 08/18/19.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
When my father was a boy, they had German POWs working on their little farm in Idaho. He told me of a story of one of the Germans finding a pheasant next, cracking the eggs in his hat and drinking the whole thing. Must not have been fed super well (?)

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by LouisB
Apparently they missed one because there was one near Crossville.
Camp Forrest near Tullahoma TN, held quite a number of German prisoners.
They left the post each day, working in the surrounding farms and nurseries, returned each night.
The story is that most were captured on the Eastern Front and POW life in the US of A had much better living conditions

It has been absorbed into the Arnold Engineering and Development Center (AEDC) operated for the Air Force

TN Army National Guard has facilities on the base and several former POWs have stopped by to show family and look at where they were housed Way Back When.

My step dad's family was from Crossville, TN....my grandfather had a 1300 acre farm and many POWs worked for him on it during the war.... When the war was over and the Camp Closed, my grand mother managed to buy a lot of pots and pans from the kitchen there... she raised 13 kids, so they were put to good use....every Thanksgiving I remember she used to cook Pinto Beans in a huge one, that sat on one of her stove tops covering 3 burners., another big one was always filled with mash potatoes...she even had a couple of little oar looking things to stir them....

Many of the Germans at the one in Crossville were treated well enough, after they went home to Germany and found all of their family was gone... the came back to Tennessee and settled in the local area... most had made many good friends with the local Americans.... From what I've heard, the National Cemetery in Chattanooga has more German POWs buried there than any other National Cemetery in the USA....

one the west coast here, I have visited Tule Lake, or what is left of it and also Manzanar off US Hwy395.....friends of the family were Neisei and were shipped there first after the war started.... two older siblings were sent to Camp Savage in MN.. they worked at Ft Snelling, translating documents into Japanese and translating intercepted Japanese communications...by 1944, they were allowed to find an apartment over in St Paul, in the upper Attic of a house there.... they visited family back in MN in the early 1990s, and they asked me to take them to where the camp was and they wanted to retrace the way to Ft Snelling from Camp Savage..... it was farms then, but is all built up now of course... Bloomington is a city of 80,000... that is where my wife grew up..
Mas and Ness weeped, seeing all these places 50 years later... they were complimentary of how well they were treated in MN..

several of their other married siblings spent the war in an Internment Camp in Mandon N.D. and also one some where in Wyoming.....their biggest memory of it all was how cold it was... them being from Los Angeles... having come to the USA during WW 1....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Was not aware of German POWs being here in WWII, very interesting read. Thank you!

I have a pair of carved sheep bone vases from the Isle of Mann. They had a camp there at Knockaloe and the Quakers taught them a number of skills, including bone carving. They were not actually POWs, just Germans living there and they did not trust them. Like our Japanese internment camps.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Camp Breckinridge, Union County Kentucky - WW2 German POW facility

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]https://player.slideplayer.com/34/10230208/data/images/img23.jpg[/img]

https://slideplayer.com/slide/10230208/

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Scandal in the Delta!

In May 1943, Axis troops in North Africa were defeated by Allied forces and taken prisoner. As a result, both German and Italian soldiers from the famous "Afrika Korps" were transported to the United States to prisoner of war camps, a number of which were located in Mississippi. There were four main P.O.W. camps in Mississippi during World War II, including Clinton and Como and at the military installations at Camp Shelby and Camp McCain. Of these, Camp Clinton was used to house higher-ranking German officers, including Erwin Rommel's replacement as the commander of the Afrika Korps, Gen. Jurgen Von Arnim (right). Officers, unlike enlisted men, could not be forced to work, although many chose to anyway. At Clinton, the Germans helped build a model of the Mississippi River for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to study flood control. In other parts of the state, however, work was chiefly agricultural in nature. That was especially true in the Delta, where there were ten satellite camps. Most of the prisoners in these camps found themselves planting and picking cotton.

Among the German prisoners assigned to a work detail in the Delta was a Luftwaffe officer named Helmut von der Aue. Variously described being either six feet tall or 6'3", the 26-year-old pilot had been shot down and captured in Italy in September 1943. With dark hair, blue eyes and sporting a small mustache, von der Aue was not only considered handsome but was fluent in English, French and Italian, in addition to his native German. After escaping from a prisoner of war camp in Italy, von der Aue was transported to the United States and sent to Camp Breckinridge in Kentucky (named for the former U.S. Vice President and Confederate general John C. Breckinridge). On January 18, 1944, he escaped while working on a road near the camp. After being recaptured, he was sent to Camp McCain, Mississippi, and thence to a smaller camp at Rosedale, where he was assigned to work on a plantation.

Along with several other prisoners, Helmut von der Aue was sent to work on a plantation owned by Joseph Henry Rogers near Beulah. Joe Rogers was a 43-year-old planter and was apparently away from home on a regular basis tending to business matters. His wife Edith, who at age 37 was five years younger than her husband, was described as "pretty." The couple had one daughter, Joan. To pass the time, Edith frequently invited the German prisoners working in the fields to have lunch at her home. Over a period of months, it seems, she developed a particular attachment to Helmut von der Aue, the tall, handsome pilot. On one occasion in early January 1946, he stayed behind while the other prisoners returned to the fields. After he and Mrs. Rogers enjoyed a few drinks – and possibly as much as a fifth of whiskey – the two decided to escape together. Before leaving, she furnished von der Aue with some of her husband’s clothes and then they took her car to Memphis. When interviewed later, von der Aue claimed he was “tired of looking at fences, fences, fences,” but he also said he had fallen in love with Edith, who had been very kind to him. Although he said he was also fond of Joan, the couple did not take her with them. They left the Delta behind with $10 cash.

After heading to Memphis, the couple drove east all night with the intent to go all the way to Washington, where he hoped to find work with some acquaintances. Arriving in Winchester, Tennessee, they realized they were quickly running out of money. With only $3 remaining and a half-empty gas tank, Edith sold her watch for $5 to buy food and then wired some relatives in Rosedale for more money. Continuing to Nashville, the couple tried to check into a hotel but was promptly arrested by the F.B.I., who had been alerted of the escape and no doubt knew the make and model of the car. Mrs. Rogers was charged with “aiding and abetting the escape of an enemy of the United States” and held in the Nashville jail. Her bond was set at $2,000. Helmut von der Aue, as an escaped prisoner of war, was turned over to military authorities and eventually sent back to Camp McCain.

Meanwhile, the story went “viral.” Newspapers across the nation picked up the affair between the German P.O.W. and the planter’s wife, no doubt to the dismay of Mr. Rogers. The press spared no details. In an article in the Kansas City Star, for example, Helmut von der Aue claimed his undying love for Edith. “Her husband was seldom at home,” he said, “I fell in love with her and I wanted to marry her. I still do.” Edith’s bond was posted by none other than her husband and she returned to Bolivar County, where she was to stand trial in Clarksdale in May. During her bond hearing, Mrs. Rogers, who was “smartly dressed except for her bare legs,” refused to have her photo taken and did not speak. The only sound she made during the hearing was an audible laugh when asked “Have you talked to your husband yet?”

No doubt the next few months were a bit uncomfortable at the Rogers household. By the time of the trial in May, however, Joe Rogers and his attorney Walter Sillers (right) - who just happened to the Speaker of the House in Mississippi - had convinced Federal Judge Allen Cox to give her two years’ probation, thus sparing the family any further embarrassment. Helmut von der Aue was sentenced with thirty days of solitary confinement at Camp McCain. And thus the matter passed into history. What ultimately happened to either of the lovebirds is unknown, but within a short time German prisoners of war were returned home. As such, it’s likely that the handsome von der Aue again found romance in his native land. As for Mr. and Mrs. Rogers, there is no indication there was ever a divorce. In time, perhaps the whole affair was chalked up to “unforeseen circumstances” and life returned to normal. Given the national exposure the story received, however, that’s difficult to imagine.

Joe Rogers died in 1974 and is buried in Cleveland, Mississippi. Edith Rogers lived until 1991 and is buried with her family in Tennessee.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
There is a small POW Chapel at Camp Atterbery in central Indiana. Apparently German POW's were housed there during WWII.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They were a bunch here at nearby Fort Campbell. Don't remember hearing any stories about them helping put on the local farms. I guess we had enough darkies to help out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My grandad told the story of German POWs working on one of the larger cotton farms near Fabens, Texas during the war. He was calling on someone out there to schedule service or deliver equipment and had to have the armed guard sign something, and the guard handed his rifle to one of the POWs so he would have both hands free. My grandfather was shocked...the guard told him the rifle wasn't loaded and it wasn't really necessary anyway because the Germans weren't a threat in any way and had no desire to escape.

Treatment on the battlefield was far different, I'm sure.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There was one in Weingarten, MO.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
My uncle was Navy Shore Patrol that transported POW's from Italy to Buffalo, NY via a captured Italian cruise ship. I always wondered if they were sent back or stayed here. Good article. Thanks.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
When I was a kid, in the 60's and 70's, we had a neighbor who had been a POW here after surviving the sinking of his u-boat. After the war, he brought his wife back to the US, where he was employed as a machinist. Very nice folks. Their son became an officer in the US Navy.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
The huts that competitors use at Camp Perry during the Nationals were originally POW huts.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,933 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,354
Posts18,468,882
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.