Print Thread
Hop To
T
turkish Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
What do you have? What do you like and not like? And why?

While I had not ever given these much attention, it seems this may be the best route to a really short LOP plinker for the kids.

I’ve seen some of Stick’s photos of a Jard. That seems to be the cheapest option I’ve seen.

Last edited by turkish; 08/18/19.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I started with a cmmg conversion (bolt) kit dropped into a colt m4, so could participate in rimfire rifle steel challenge. This was just “ok”: so-so accuracy and too heavy to compete with various lightweight 10/22 customs. Plus, became apparent that a c-more sight was a clear advantage, so wanted one of those, too.

Next was a dedicated AR build using spare parts, said ccmg kit, and a proper rimfire barrel, turned to .625 (pencil contour) and cut to 16.1 inch (ADCO gunsmthing). And a c-more; you’d need the ar railed base version. I had no issues with geissle or usgi triggers, but was advised that for these rimfire kits, the extra hammer oomph of a Hyperfire trigger aided reliability. So i’ve got one, still don’t care for it, has a different, heavy, crunch of a pull. May not matter under recoil of centerfire, but it’s “different” feeling under rimfire. Might go back to a geissle just to see if reliability issues arise or not. Anyway, bang for the buck, this basic setup above is the sweet spot. Put whatever style stock and handguard, sights you find fitting for your kids and you’re set.

For just the cmmg kit, you’re at $225 iirc. For barrel, contouring, about $250 more. Beyond that, sky’s the limit of course. I kept tinkering, so now it’s gotten silly, i”ll spare you. Am a tad too light out front now. It is right fast, however, and good fun.

Couple thoughts. Kept halfway clean, the ar 22conversion consistently runs like a top. Was past 2000rds this summer, yet to have a single jam (!), when broke a firing pin. Plus, the magazines clean easily. I went with the aftermarket blackdog mags for the cast steel lips rather that cmmg’s plastic.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

699 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 75 invisible), 3,037 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,242
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.