Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Online Sad
Campfire Regular
B
Been checking out these “new” trucks and I’m wondering Which is truly the most dependable vehicle for my 16yr old son. I may purchase one next year. I’ve looked at both and I prefer the F-150 over a Silverado but leaning towards the Colorado for a compact truck. Must have 4wd and a V6.
Thoughts??

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Good Question, I think I would take the Ford , I think they have tested them extensively overseas for a while.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by bamagun01
Been checking out these “new” trucks and I’m wondering Which is truly the most dependable vehicle for my 16yr old son. I may purchase one next year. I’ve looked at both and I prefer the F-150 over a Silverado but leaning towards the Colorado for a compact truck. Must have 4wd and a V6.
Thoughts??

Ford doesn't offer a V-6. Quick online check of our local Ford, Chevy, Toyota, and Nissan dealerships, I'd have to be considering a Tacoma first. They're all priced about the same.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Online Sad
Campfire Regular
B
I had a Tacoma, great little truck. I’m just more of a Ford and Chevy person I guess.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i would never own another little truck again tough to pull anything and in the mountains don`t be fooled they suck. full size trucks are much better and myself i prefer a Silverado , they ride better and resale is much better too.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Buy a Ford F-150 with the Eco Boost V-6 & 4WD

Thank me later !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Tacoma is the only smaller truck I would consider, mine is 8 now and about the best truck I've had so far. That said, I will likely go back to a full size next time around, if they ever update the Tundra it will be a contender. Otherwise I'm not brand loyal but could never warm up to Fords.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Online Sad
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Buy a Ford F-150 with the Eco Boost V-6 & 4WD

Thank me later !

I have two of those now. One for me and one for my 18yr old. Thinking of a smaller one for my 16 yr old.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My thoughts. The biggest pieces of shyt vehicles I've owned in my life were Chevy's. I'd never, never, NEVER consider buying another. EVER.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've not been around the new Ranger pickups, BUT we have a Colorado for a company vehicle and with less then 19,000 miles and it has been bitten by the dreaded torque converter shudder problem that is well known, even a TSB out for it. SO not too impressed that a 2 y/o truck has to go in and have the torque converter swapped out already.

Otherwise, we like the Colorado. Got good pep, comfortable, etc. BUT dang, in need of major transmission work already and it's never been off road or towed a dang thing.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Get the kid a bicycle and a job.

He'll thank you later.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I drive GMC or Chevrolet K1500 pickups but lately have spent a lot of time riding in a F150 Crew cab that might be a better truck. Not sure I would want a V6 in either of the full size trucks. The smaller trucks are okay but the difference in economy isn't much if any in daily use between the Colorado and the Chevy K1500. Can't say anything about the Ford Ranger as I have never seen the new one.

Last edited by stantdm; 08/11/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unless you just want a slightly smaller truck, there is little difference in fuel economy between the V6 Colorado and the 5.3L Silverado.

Major differences are in acceleration, towing capacity and price, although right now some 4x4 Silverados are being heavily discounted.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I see the ford has the "auto-stop" technology....I'd fuggin skip that! I have it now in my F-150 and I hate it! I'd seriously not buy a truck with it!

And if you have to have a V-6 the ranger is out. Although the 2.3 Turbo would be decent in that truck.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by pete53
i prefer a Silverado , they ride better and resale is much better too.

Better than what?

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Auto stop sucks. Better half got a new SUV last year with that BS and hates it. Saves a dollar's worth of gas/will need a new starter in a few years, my guess.

Observed earlier last week, at a traffic light: Two Lezbaru Foresters in front of me, one in each lane, front row..Light turns green. Newer one in the left lane starts up, older one ahead of me just takes off and we're about 100 feet down the road, before the other one ever moved off'n the dime.

"Better than what"? Why a Furd, of course. smile

Around these parts guys seem to be switching to RAMS, over their Tundras, Titans, F150s and Silverados. No thanks. Gave up on Dodge trucks years ago.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Neighbor has a new ranger and it just seems cheaper than the Colorado.

Ted
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by TRnCO
I've not been around the new Ranger pickups, BUT we have a Colorado for a company vehicle and with less then 19,000 miles and it has been bitten by the dreaded torque converter shudder problem that is well known, even a TSB out for it. SO not too impressed that a 2 y/o truck has to go in and have the torque converter swapped out already.

Otherwise, we like the Colorado. Got good pep, comfortable, etc. BUT dang, in need of major transmission work already and it's never been off road or towed a dang thing.

I had the odd shift only in the morning when cold when it shifted from 1st to 2nd. Turns out changing the fluid fixes most it in most cases, the issue was moisture content in the transmission fluid. The old GM transmission liquid is swapped for new Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP fluid. No more odd shifts once it was changed.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/08...-gm-transmission-problems/#ixzz5wu5K5i4U

Ted
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you want midsize v6 4wd then Tacoma all the way.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TRnCO

Chevy has never made a good tough transmission. Thank me later... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

332 members (1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 968 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,644
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.