Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Daveh
I’ll double check it but for sure at 1&2 you cannot see any glimmer in a completely dark room....

It is probably very very slight

GB1

Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Tonight at 12x I can see the illuminated dot down to 2 (albeit just barely).
At 3x I can’t see any dot until 7x maybe 6x.

It’ll work.

Doug made me a deal on a 3-12x50 Leica Visus with same reticle as the S&B. The Leica is a SFP so it’ll be an interesting comparison.....

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

It’ll work.

Doug made me a deal on a 3-12x50 Leica Visus with same reticle as the S&B. The Leica is a SFP so it’ll be an interesting comparison.....

please do a comparo between the s&b and the leica visus. i'm contemplating those exact 2 scopes for the exact thing you are doing as far as a low light scope. from the pics i've seen i do like the visus ret a whole lot better than the segmented lines and center dot of the Klassik personally. just wondering how the visus compares optically in low light to the s&b klassik?? if you don't wanna update this thread feel free to pm me as i'm intently waiting on your discovery and comparo between these 2 fine scopes. if the klassik had continuous lines like a + and only when the illum was switched on just the very small middle dot lit up there wouldn't be a question. but the segmented lines i just don't care for personally.
thanks,
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by whitearrow

It’ll work.

please do a comparo between the s&b and the leica visus. i'm contemplating those exact 2 scopes for the exact thing you are doing as far as a low light scope. from the pics i've seen i do like the visus ret a whole lot better than the segmented lines and center dot of the Klassik personally. just wondering how the visus compares optically in low light to the s&b klassik?? if you don't wanna update this thread feel free to pm me as i'm intently waiting on your discovery and comparo between these 2 fine scopes. if the klassik had continuous lines like a + and only when the illum was switched on just the very small middle dot lit up there wouldn't be a question. but the segmented lines i just don't care for personally.
thanks,
Big Ed

Segmented lines? They both look almost identical, I believe the Visus is 2nd plane , the other first plane

I go with the company that grinds and coats its own glass, only makes rifle scopes and has a superior warranty and excellent customer service.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
yes oldelk in all of my extensive research the schmidt and bender klassik L3 ret looks like this roughly __ . __ except the dot is inline with the lines just segmented like i said and the visus is just like a zeiss #60 illum ret and is NOT segmented or broken lines and a dot that illuminated when turned on but if illum is off it looks like a wide #4 ret roughly like this + with just the center illuminating when turned on. i hope i explained it better so you can understand where i'm coming from.
Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by whitearrow
yes oldelk in all of my extensive research the schmidt and bender klassik L3 ret looks like this roughly __ . __ except the dot is inline with the lines just segmented like i said and the visus is just like a zeiss #60 illum ret and is NOT segmented or broken lines and a dot that illuminated when turned on but if illum is off it looks like a wide #4 ret roughly like this + with just the center illuminating when turned on. i hope i explained it better so you can understand where i'm coming from.
Big Ed

I do not have broken lines on my L3 reticle. Just the Dot illuminates. This is the scope I have which I bought last year from Cameraland

Schmidt & Bender Klassik Hungaria 3-12x50 LM L3 Reticle Scope #644-811-482-05-05H

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
wow oldelk it seems it varies widely then as when counseling with bobby tomek his didn't have segmented lines either but when i talked with doug and jerry from s&b he sent me pics of the L3 ret and it looked like meopta's 4c ret and were most deffinetly segmented/broken lines with a dot in the middle.
Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Ed,

I would not doubt it . If there is anything i dislike about this scope it is that the dot is maybe a tad large other then that it is superb.

Ed

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
just how big is the dot when on 12x please sir?
thanks,
Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Ed,

It covers a stick on target dot at 100 yards. It is always cranked to 12 when I shoot it at the range.

Ed

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I’ll update this with my thoughts after it arrives early next week....

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
thanks oldelk and dave please do. i'll be patiently waiting ha!
Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Ed,

It covers a stick on target dot at 100 yards. It is always cranked to 12 when I shoot it at the range.

Ed

[Linked Image]

just how big is the red dot oldelk? the size varies on the diff size bc stick on targets. if its 1/4" red dot that is well within reason to me at 100yds but if its the 2" version then yeah that would be a big,meopta 4c size,dot.
thanks,
Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
FYI the dot in the middle just barely floats. Hardly any space.
Additionally, it covers right at 1” at 100yds.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
thanks dave. still patiently awaiting your low light and illum comparo betwixt thw klassik and visus..........
Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The Leica arrived yesterday. The USPS connection between CL and eastern WA. must be good as it’s routinely 3 days....

Anyhow I only had time for a quick comparison but these two scopes are very much alike in size, weight and optics.
The S&B adjustments are very much more solid.
I like the illumination on the Leica as it goes low enough but is brighter on max but really both are going to work great in low light.
It really comes down to the reticle and which focal plane you prefer.
I haven’t made up my mind as I really like the S&B large dot in the pure sense of hunting but it’s really a toss-up.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Ok Dave how does the dot size compare between the Visus vs klassik? Also, have you had time to compare em in low light optic wise? Just wondering how the Leica compares to the vaunted Schmidt und Bender.
Thanks,
Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The Leica dot is smaller at 12x as it’s in the second focal plane. It is very, very much like the Leupold Firedot.

No lowlight test yet. This time of year it’s tough....

Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This morning about an hour before sunrise they were the same regarding brightness.
It was dark but a 3/4 moon with no clouds.

Probably doesn’t help but I think it boils down to which reticle you like and if you need daylight illumination....

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
thanks dave for your test. guess i'm going with the Leica as it appears i'm in the minority and actually prefer sfp scopes due to the ret doesn't swell up as mag increases and by nature the illum dot stays same size and not aforementioned swell of dot which i ain't a fan of big dots. i knew all that before asking you for the test i just really wanted to know optic and low light wise where the leica stands up to the s&b.
thanks again,
Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 55 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,035
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.