-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Camp Ruston, in Ruston, La,. was a very large prison camp complex. There were satellite camps scattered across north La. that were part of it. I dont know if they have been dismantled, but 30 years ago, a few of the quonset huts were still there.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I grew up about 12 miles out of Liberty, Texas. There had been a German POW camp out near the Fair Grounds off Hy 146 I was always told. My GF complained about how on Saturdays the local girls could be seen with them on "dates". They were apparently free to go into town. I don't know if or how hard they worked them during the week, but I'm sure that "Fritzy" was glad he was there instead of the Eastern Front! ha

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I grew up about 12 miles out of Liberty, Texas. There had been a German POW camp out near the Fair Grounds off Hy 146 I was always told. My GF complained about how on Saturdays the local girls could be seen with them on "dates". They were apparently free to go into town. I don't know if or how hard they worked them during the week, but I'm sure that "Fritzy" was glad he was there instead of the Eastern Front! ha

Story on that was that all the American boys of that age (17-25) were gone - off to the war. Local girls found the POWs as substitutes.

Same story in France during the war. Many stories of how our downed fliers and the GIs as they rolled through were "well appreciated" by the French girls. The biggest reason is that the French boys had largely been missing since 1940. They were either POWs themselves or sent off to work forced labor in Germany or were hiding up in the hills working with the Resistance. Loney girls find handsome fit GIs and "Oh la la!".

Didn't hurt that the French girls thought all Americans lived like portrayed in Hollywood movies.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
It's been said that the only thing that drops faster than a French soldier's rifle is a French woman's panties.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
We had POW's work on our farms in SC for years... they were nice folk and had manners. Several came back to South Carolina after the war and were welcomed as friends.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
It's been said that the only thing that drops faster than a French soldier's rifle is a French woman's panties.

!!!!!! smile

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
POWs were interned at the stables for the Greenbrier Resort near White Sulfur Springs, WV. The POWs would walk out to the front fence and watch cars go by on US Rt 60. The guards kept telling them to stay back. Finally they were told "The war is over for you but your people are still fighting ours. The people going by are losing friends and loved ones and can't get to your people killing ours but they can shoot you from that road and nothing will happen to them". The POWS stayed away from the road.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There was a camp at Algona, Iowa. The prisoners there constructed a huge (3/4 life-size) nativity scene that is still on display today. There were many satellite camps in Iowa and Minnesota that were associated with the Algona camp. Farmers and factories could hire the prisoners to work for them. They paid the government for the workers, with the money raised going to the upkeep up the camps. The prisoners received canteen coupons for their labor. Many of the prisoners kept up correspondence with the farmers after the war, and some came back to visit.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
POWs were interned at the stables for the Greenbrier Resort near White Sulfur Springs, WV. The POWs would walk out to the front fence and watch cars go by on US Rt 60. The guards kept telling them to stay back. Finally they were told "The war is over for you but your people are still fighting ours. The people going by are losing friends and loved ones and can't get to your people killing ours but they can shoot you from that road and nothing will happen to them". The POWS stayed away from the road.

The Japanese diplomats that were here at the start of WW-II were also quartered at Greenbrier and Homestead.

https://www.usnews.com/news/nationa...end-internment-camps-during-world-war-ii

I have few issues with how the Germans generally treated our POWs as it was pretty much a rotten time of shortages over there for everyone but the Japanese treatment of our boys (and girls) should have had everyone that ran a POW camp hung.

We had a friend growing up who was a co-pilot in a B-24 and had been shot down at Ploesti, his second mission, and spent the rest of the war in a Romanian POW camp and his experience was pretty much like the Germans here. Several times the Germans came to take the prisoners and the Romanians wouldn't give them up. He remained friends with several Romanian families after the war and they each visited each other.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Here on Fort Knox, KY, there are officer quarters that still have the Afrika Korps symbol chiseled into the brick chimneys from when they had POWs working on various projects here.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
My great-uncle, a rifle company CO often spoke of the importance the higher ups placed on patrolling and capturing prisoners. He told me "We didn't take any SS prisoners" and said his unit was typical. When I asked him to elaborate he got deadly serious and said when they encountered SS men those Germans "weren't fit to be prisoners" It makes me think that perhaps we had alot of German POWs who were predisposed to good behavior if the riflemen were screening them out so to speak.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
In Virginia Beach (VA), the military took over a girl’s school to use as a POW camp (generally used for U-boat survivors). The facility has since been replaced but it was located at Virginia Beach Blvd. and Thalia Road. During the 1980's (when I lived in VAB), stories would periodically appear in The Virginia Pilot (Norfolk newspaper) about returning German POWs who described their life there. All were appreciative of being alive! Most had jobs on farms; some milked cows, some drove a tractor and, some were general farm handymen.

They were surprised and appreciative of how welcoming the farmers and their families were; at least one married the farmer’s daughter! He (and the new wife) returned to Germany, he went to medical school and they returned to the US; he practiced medicine in the Eastern US. They described how they’d eat meals with the family and became part of the family.

One former POW described his daily routine: he’d wake, dress, eat breakfast and then walk 7 miles to a dairy farm. He’d work, eat lunch with the farmer and his wife (while learning English and teaching German), continue working in the afternoon and then walk back to the camp. One farmer would drive the OW back to ensure he’d arrive before curfew.

I’ve read of ardent Nazi’s who’d attack other POWs (in other camps) they considered cooperating with the camp authorities, but it apparently didn’t happen in Virginia Beach.

An interesting fact is that there are 3 enemy POW's buried in Arlington National Cemetery; two Italian POW's and one German POW. From a Google search, oone post describes the circumstances:

"Three World War II enemy combatants are buried at Arlington National Cemetery.

"Scattered among America’s honored dead are two Italian prisoners of war and one German prisoner of war captured during World War II. The three enemy combatants died in captivity in the Washington, D.C., area, and the Geneva Conventions required proper burials. With Arlington being the closest national cemetery, the men were buried there. In total, there are approximately 65 foreign nationals interred in Arlington National Cemetery, most being allied servicemen who perished in air disasters that included American soldiers."

Last edited by djs; 08/19/19.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
always felt we treated them far better than they deserved

I disagree Sam.

Most of these guys were just conscripts or young patriotic guys who were serving their nation, misguided (and criminal) as it was. I do agree that the ardent Nazi's did get better then they deserved.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Camp George West in Golden. Dont know any details.
The stories point out how politicians screw over all us regular decent folks.
Stepgranddad was German, had no use for nazis, I think he came over before the war to escape them

Growing up we had lots of jap cleaners, etc. Mom always liked buying peaches from the japs as they "ring packed" the bushels so you got your money's worth. Not like the under packed and overpriced lugs you find now. Jr high science teacher was an internee, one of the better teachers in the school.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunswizard
There is a small POW Chapel at Camp Atterbery in central Indiana. Apparently German POW's were housed there during WWII.

It's my understanding that it was Italians who were at Camp Atterbury. The Chapel was there in 2003 but everything else was ruble and rocks.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They kept some Japanese Diplomats, embassy staff, and their families at Bedford Spings Resort during WW2. Not sure how many or how long as I was always more interested in other aspects of the war.
Here at the foot of Sideling Hill Mountain in Well's Valley there was a POW Camp housing captured Germans. It started out as a CCC Corps camp in the 30s for building roads, and was converted over to that purpose during the war.
Ain't much left of it now other than the barracks foundations and some rusted pipes sticking outta the ground. The Commandant's house/office is used by DCNR in Buchanan State Forest. Wifey says that the government alphabet agencies used it as a safe house for witnesses and such in the 60s and 70s.
As someone else said, getting captured and sent the to the U.S. was probably the best thing to happen to German soldiers. Quite a few who were sent to Russia took 8 or 10 years to get home, if they did at all.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Here at the foot of Sideling Hill Mountain in Well's Valley there was a POW Camp housing captured Germans. It started out as a CCC Corps camp in the 30s for building roads, and was converted over to that purpose during the war.
Ain't much left of it now other than the barracks foundations and some rusted pipes sticking outta the ground. The Commandant's house/office is used by DCNR in Buchanan State Forest. Wifey says that the government alphabet agencies used it as a safe house for witnesses and such in the 60s and 70s.
As someone else said, getting captured and sent the to the U.S. was probably the best thing to happen to German soldiers. Quite a few who were sent to Russia took 8 or 10 years to get home, if they did at all.
7mm

Interesting. I get over there, mostly in the early spring, to do some fishing on Town Creek and Sideling Creek. Will have to spend some time looking.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

It was once one of the largest Army and German P.O.W. Bases in the South

Camp Breckenridge a blot on U.S. history

The advent of World War II meant many things to different people.

To those young men eligible for the draft, it meant being drafted into the Armed Services and off to basic training and being shipped off to serve and fight in a foreign land.

To many woman and those not eligible for the draft, it meant badly needed employment for those who struggled during the Great Depression.

But to nearly 1,500 people from farm families in nearby Henderson, Webster and Union counties in Western Kentucky, it meant much more — it meant giving up their land, farm equipment, homes and way of life to the federal government in the name of patriotism and the war effort.

At the time, little did these humble farm families know that the creation of the Army's Camp Breckenridge in 1942 would eventually lead to a rancorous legal dispute and hard feelings on the part of family descendants which would span seven decades.

It is a rather sordid tale, but one to be remembered.

Hence, on Sunday, among the many events occurring this weekend, the 70th year reunion event of Camp Breckenridge Commemoration event will be held at the James D. Veach Museum and Arts Center at 1 p.m. on the grounds of Camp Breckenridge outside Morganfield, Ky.

In January, 1942, Kentucky Rep. Beverly Vincent revealed to the public that the War Department had authorized the construction of an Army training base somewhere near Morganfield. The facility was to be designed to train some 30,000 troops annually.

A few short weeks later, farmers in the surrounding area were told two things:

1. If they accept the appraised value of their property, payment would be tendered immediately, and

2. As soon as the war is over and the property is declared "surplus," the owners would be offered a right of first refusal to repurchase the farm land with compensation for damages.

Finally, on March 3, 121 orders to vacate the property were sent by the U.S. Marshal's office for the 36,000 acres of farmland to build the training base.

In a book written in 1978 by Ruby Higginson, entitled "Land of Camp Breckenridge: Injustice to the Farmer," about the same time the Army began confiscating land, oil wells were starting to be drilled in the vicinity of the proposed camp.

Higginson, an Evansville resident who was in high school at the time the land was taken, painfully details in graphic descriptions what happened to the various people involved in the massive land grab through negotiated sales and condemnation proceedings.

Many long remained upset about how government officials eventually lied to all the land owners and broke every promise made to them.

In the post-World War II era, family members who lived on farms taken for the base have been engaged in a never-ending legal struggle while government officials seemed to be insulated from public opinion and ridicule.

In the ensuing years, the federal government sold the mineral rights on much of the land which has since produced coal, oil and natural gas.

From 1950 until 1965 the camp remained closed.

Finally, in 1965 the land was declared "surplus" and the government broke the acreage up into such large tracts that none of the area farmers could afford to buy any of their former land holdings.

A lawsuit was filed in federal court in the late 1960s but a judge dismissed the case. Congressional action in 1993 allowed the plaintiffs a hearing in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims and in 2005 Judge Susan Braden issued a preliminary ruling awarding some $32.5 million — proceeds from the sale of mineral rights to the land — to the former land owners.

In the ruling, Judge Braden instructed the Justice Department (acting in behalf of the Army) and the former land owners to negotiate a settlement.

Subsequently, former Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Conner spent several months attempting to mediate an equitable settlement.

Finally, a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Claims in February 2009 dismissed the previous recommendation.

Justices Lawrence Margolis and Loren Smith wrote a 20-page opinion stating that "any award to the Claimants would constitute a gratuity," and recommended Congress be advised that they should receive nothing.

However, in a 42-page dissenting opinion, Judge Charles F. Lettow sided with the landowners and claimed they should be awarded some $22.9 million because about a third of the land had been condemned through court action rather than by a quasi-voluntary sale.

He went on to argue that the Tennessee Valley Authority purchased the coal rights on some 30,540 acres of the land for $7.4 million but later sold these rights to private interests for more than $400 million.

Judge Lettow stated the case is the epitome of an instance where the government has enriched itself by "the overreaching of its agents," and "the claimants deserve recompense."

Despite their legal setbacks, the Breckenridge Land Committee continues to meet regularly.

The group sends out a newsletter and receives monthly reports from their lawyers.

Currently, members are attempting to exert pressure on Kentucky Sen. Mitch McConnell's staff since the case has been reported back to the Senate by the Court of Federal Claims.

http://heritagecorridors.com/bluestobluegrass/webstercounty.html

...Turning left onto Hwy 56 one will travel past the town of TILDON through what was once Camp Breckinridge. Everything on the right is still part of Camp Breckinridge. Lady Bird Johnson once held the mineral rights to much of this land. The Johnson Family still retains these rights.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
There was a POW camp here in the town I live in and also one in the next town over. This is very rural area and logging is the major industry. The Germans were used in the logging around here. The camp here is still standing.
Several years ago they ran an article in the local paper interviewing an older fellow who was a guard. He told a story about how one evening a guard got lazy and didn’t do a head count before they went back to the camp. Well it went unnoticed they were missing one until the next morning. So they all haul tail back to we’re they was working and the one that got left was leaning up against a pile of logs asleep. The guard said he asked him why he didn’t run and he replied where would I have gone.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,476 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,845
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.