-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was very fortunate last week when I acquired a reissued 3rd season buck tag for these units. I've spent a "little" time in these units, but not much, and never for the purpose of deer hunting. Right at the moment I plan to start in the area around Disappointment Valley... So, I'm wondering if there are other decent areas to scout out, whether or not to drag the ATV over there, good places to camp & whether or not I should take the camper or the wall tent, and what should be considered a "shooter buck" (from what I've read, a 160" deer might be a shooter). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It’ll be a pumpkin patch!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hope for snow on Lone Cone. If the deer are there, so will a whole lot of people on atvs and SxS's. I have hunted down there some in 2nd season and always saw a few deer. A buddy of mine shot a buck that pushed 180 5 years ago.

We have pulled a camper down there before but the dust from the road filled that thing full. We normally just camp off the road side and hike in. I was sitting up on a hillside one morning and heard something with 4 legs walking up behind me.
I turned around to find a salty old fart had rode his horse in and proceded to tell me that I was sitting on his favorite rock and asked if I'd mind some company. We had a pretty good time and I learned some places to hunt form him.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the help, fellas. I figured there would be a LOT of hunters in this area, and that's fine... tough to complain, considering that I didn't even have a tag until a week ago. I'm planning to get at least one scouting trip in, sometime between the archery elk season and 3rd rifle. I might try to scope it out during 2nd season to see where the pressure is highest.

Anyway, thanks again, and if anyone else has any pointers, I'm all ears.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I’ve never hunted 71, but I’ve hunted 70. I have a feeling that you’re gonna be seeing some orange. I’m sure the wall tent would work. Weather can be way too hot or really cold...so it’ll be a guess and see. Hopefully there’s some snow to push them down, but it may be a little early for that. Good luck and post some pics!

Last edited by Tom_in_AZ; 09/17/19.

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by ELKiller
. . . I plan to start in the area around Disappointment Valley . . .

Hope you're not disappointed by that choice (sorry, I couldn't resist)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ELKiller
Right at the moment I plan to start in the area around Disappointment Valley...

If there’s snow and the deer start coming off the glade it can be good. I’ll PM you a spot to try

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys! I hope it’s not going to be a “disappointment”... being stuck at home without a deer tag would be the real tragedy grin

Huntsonora - Thanks for the PM. You clearly know your stuff when it comes to mule deer hunting & I’ll take your advice very seriously. I also sent you a follow up question on PM.

Z
Z
ELKiller, in the same position you were last year. Just got my tag and am looking for at least a starting point. Any pointers from what you learned in 71/711 last year?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Zwal - my best advise is to start high and work your way down until you find deer. I saw very few deer last year, but I stayed low expecting an influx of migratory deer. I did see (and nearly shot) a "nice" buck (165-170"), but that was the only one I found that was worth shooting. I should have spent more time in the higher country, and if I ever get that tag again, that's where I'll start. Best of luck & let us know how you do.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 51 invisible), 3,139 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,335
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.