Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I have some older Leupolds that I like very well. I have recently picked up 2 M8 4X scopes. One is a 90's scope and the other a long tube no-prefix 4X (pre-1974) I got specifically for an old commercial Husqvarna mauser.

I was thinking about sending them in to Leupold service for a cleaning and check the seals ect. Anyone done this recently? I was curios if it was worth the fuss. I DON'T want them to offer to upgrade to a newer scope or for them to replace the internals with a new erector.

Thanks in advance.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a M8 6x that I bought used at a gun show in the 80’s. Had it on a rifle for 5 years or so, and then sold rifle and scope to a brother. He had it for 20 or more years and then gave the gun and scope back to me. At that point, the scope had a loose lens rattling around inside. I called Leupold, then sent the scope. They called me a couple weeks later to say that they couldn’t fix it, not having parts anymore for that old scope. So they sent me a new one, box, plastic wrap and all. Impressive service.

D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
That is impressive service but I'm not looking for that. I just want to ensure these older scopes won't fog and will hold zero.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I recently sent a M8 8X Ao and a really old 3-9 AO. They sent them back with new lenses, and turrets. Sitting in the safe as spares right now.

The 3-9 AO come off of a reservation in N/M and is really rough Including scratched lenses. I now looks the same except for the new lenses.

I thought it was great service. Turn around was less than 3 weeks if I remember correctly.

D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Some how I double posted initially.

That is impressive also.

Last edited by djb; 08/19/19.

IC B2

K
K
Not to be too much of a smarta$$, but why don't you contact Leupold CS and explain your situation...idk, i think it would help.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I had a VXIII 1.5x5 I bought it in 1980 in 2017 it had a yellowish tint to the view. I sent to leupold and got a call about 6 days later from a woman who told me they couldn't fix it so the were sending me a new
VX 3i and wanted to know if I wanted gloss or matte.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Since they have a lifetime warranty I doubt I would send them in unless they are broke.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H

Why send something back when there is nothing wrong!

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I sent an older M8 4x to Leupold for a "checkup". They completely disassembled it, rebuilt it, filled with gas and did a QC check, and sent the scope back to me - all gratis. How do I know this? It was all detailed on the technicians report that was in the box when they returned it to me. I was blown away by the outstanding service!

Was it perfect when I sent it to them? I dunno, probably, but I had bought it used and was planning to use it on a DG rifle and didn't want to take any chances over something I had control over, before finding out the hard way out on a windswept plain somewhere.

Nothing but positives for the OP's idea.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve sent in a few for new reticles, and they completely refurbed the scopes at no charge. There was a charge for the reticle, of course. And they sent the technicians report with the scope. It’s easy to talk with their customer service folk to discuss what you need, but don’t wait till right before the season starts.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If it ain’t broke, don’t monkey with it. Probably too close to hunting season to get a quick turn now.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for the responses. Yes, will call Leopold but I wanted to get some recent customer experiences.

I also understand the “ it’s not broke” mentality, but if I have to try and explain preventative maintenance, I’d rather save my breath. Again, both are used scopes where I don’t know their full history. Seals leak, and rubber will dry rot after 40 years.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They recently repaired/rebuilt a VX2 3-9x40 CDS for me. Great service as always.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
And if you have one that cannot be fixed, they'll give you a new (better) one. My M8 6X that ran afoul of a horse was replaced with an FXIII.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
This is all good to know seeing that I now own at least 9 Leupolds. Even the best can fail. I knew a guy that had a Zeiss fog on him. Of course they fixed him up with a new one for nothing. I think he said they even paid the shipping.

Last edited by Filaman; 08/21/19.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Whether Leupold will refurbish or replace an older scope probably depends on how old the model is. The older the scope is, the more likely you will get a replacement scope due to parts no longer being available. Running out of even minor parts such as specific o-rings, screws and nuts may prevent a refurb because, once depleted, making such little parts for the few old scope that trickle in is not worth the expense.

K
K
Originally Posted by shinbone
Whether Leupold will refurbish or replace an older scope probably depends on how old the model is. The older the scope is, the more likely you will get a replacement scope due to parts no longer being available. Running out of even minor parts such as specific o-rings, screws and nuts may prevent a refurb because, once depleted, making such little parts for the few old scope that trickle in is not worth the expense.

Makes sense to me...I like Leupold scopes, are there better? Sure there are. I would think a scope manufacture that has been around as long as Leupold or others that have would know exactly where you're coming from.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I sent in a 2001 Leupold that had a loose lens or something rattling inside. I was hoping they would replace it with new, but they fixed it and refurbished it. It looks brand new. They either replaced or polished the objective lens as well. I am totally happy with the repair.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
When my Father died he left me with a Sako AII chambered in 22-250. It has a Leupold Vari XIII 3.5X10. Serial number says it was made in 1984.
First time I fired this rifle it shot an 18” group 😳. I took the scope off and instantly found the problem, my dad had over tightened the rings and crushed the scope tube front and rear, I sent it in to Leupold and they replaced the tube and had it back to me in 2 weeks. I guess they still have some parts for 35 year old scopes. Great CS

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
792 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 78 invisible), 3,080 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,359
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.