R
Been nearly 45 years since mine passed.

All I can say is that if your father is still living you need to ask
him every kind of question you can think of and get him to tell
you stories of his life. They're all gone too soon

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I remember getting the call alerting me to my biological father's death. The man was never anything like a father to me, or even a friend. I didn't care then and still do not.

My stepfather, who I regard as my dad, passed one Sunday morning four years ago. I got the call as I was headed home from hunting. It was a shock, but not unexpected as he had not been doing well at all. I have his photo at my loading bench and still find it hard to believe he is gone, and I do miss him.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
December 17 1999 at 70 years old 4 weeks earlier he had a massive heart attack and found out he cancer every where. God was merciful he died of a stroke. He took care of our needs but wasn't close to his sons, maybe because he didn't have a Father he left when he was 8 years old.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
March 26th 2019 0300 - got the call about an hour later. He'd been diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer right before Christmas. I live about 5 hours away but would call 3-4 times a week on my drive home, miss those. The day before I pulled off the road and talked an additional 15-20 minutes before I knew I was entering an area I'd loose signal, glad I did. He went peacefully so I'm thankful for that and the time we had this spring. Miss the calls though.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Valentine's Day 2018.

Hadn't smoked in 35 years but that was still what killed him.

Black Cows Matter!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fall of 1973, I was short of 3.
Split rim truck tire got him.
Farmer, logger, sawmiller, he was well regarded by his peers, several who would tear up
talking about him decades later. I have always wondered what he would think of me,
and would I measure up. I hope so.

Mom re-married in 1980. A very good man took on a son handicapped in a farm accident,
A daughter, and myself. Raised us as his, we refer to him as Dad, I'm his Son.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
May 24, 2007 at about 3:00 PM. June 23 he would have been 76. He had a Dr appt that morning, Mom went along, Dr said all looked well and just to keep doing what he was doing for his water retention treatment. Mom made him a sandwich after which he did what he always did, sat in his recliner for his after lunch nap . . . he never woke up. Officially they say he had a heart attack, but smoking and drinking heavily for well over 60 years was what I believe was the real cause. We had moved 500 miles from Mom & Dad 5 years earlier, I felt guilty about leaving them, hell, I still do. The first six months, or so after he died, I found myself picking up the phone to "consult" Dad and actually started pushing the numbers before remembering he wasn't there.

I was working in my home office when my sister called and told me Dad was gone. I started sobbing and put my head on my desk. Our Border Collie / Lab mix walked into the office, laid his head on my knee, looked up at me with sad eyes and let out a heavy sigh . . . Tell me dogs don't detect and react to emotions. It has been over 12 years now and the "pain" has subsided a bit, but it is still there.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Was long past due.

It was a relief to all his offspring though.

Sorry, but that's just the way it is sometimes.

Not the case with dad, but was with mom.

Got a call from the hospital right at midnight Feb 6 2013. Found in room unresponsive. Death certificate says 2/7/13, but I'm sure he actually passed late on the 6th. He would have been 90 if he'd lived another week and was in pretty good shape except for the last year where he had some struggles. He had suddenly gotten weak 2-3 days prior and was admitted to the hospital for observation. Dad was ready to go.

Mom never really got on her feet after dad died. The next 5 years were one hospital visit after the other. She broke both hips and fought through to recovery. But came down with pneumonia just before Christmas 2017 . By all accounts she should have died then, but she fought on until about 3PM 1/1/2018. She never got out of bed the last year. Weighed under 100 lbs when she died at age 87.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Ides of March, 1998

"The evil me do live on, while their good deeds are oft interred with their bones."

Last edited by kaywoodie; 08/19/19.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Day after Thanksgiving 2016. My sister let him know that I got all the cows move back home five minutes later he died he had been real worried about that. Smoked for like 60 years died of a massive brain tumor go figure. Lungs were checked when he was sick and absolutely perfect.

The kind of make matters slightly worse at the time that was one day and eight years after my granddad died on Thanksgiving Day. That would have been my mother's dad

Last edited by ldholton; 08/19/19.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
June 11, 2015 12:17 p.m. Also known as The Day The World Stopped.

After a long battle with cancer (F*cking cancer). After countless surgeries attempting to halt it's spread and a brief period of remission, he decided he did not want to endure the ordeal of chemo, the use of which would only extend his life by a few months but at a terrible cost. He did one treatment and decided not to continue. So, we tried to make the best of his remaining months. We traveled and worked together for my entire life meeting many, many people across the country, and it was into his office that I had to step after his passing to continue the business. In the last month, I arranged for so many of his friends to call and come by to visit him, as we all knew what was coming. The weekend before The Day he insisted on going to an annual party that a family member hosts which draws hundreds of people, roasts lamb from the family ranch, and lasts all day and into the night. He insisted on attending but did not use oxygen during the time. This decision shortened his life considerably. I sat watching him reminisce with all his cousins (he was everyone's favorite) about the small town they all originated from, and observed the deterioration of his mental state that lack of O2 causes. Finally we made him leave, and I had to carry him to the car. A week later he was surrounded by his family as he breathed his last with me holding his hand.

I know every man loses his father, but that doesn't make the experience any easier.

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanksgiving 2015

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
May 13 2010. Dad was 88 years old.
He'd been in pretty good health up until fall, but wouldn't go hunting because he was having trouble controlling his bowels, which I didn't know.
In late April he decided to have a bag put in. He never recovered from the surgery.
Watching the toughest man I knew waste away in a hospice was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.
Ain't a day goes by that I don't think of him and Mom and thank God for the blessing of two great parents who loved me!
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Ides of March, 1998

"The evil me do live on, while their good deeds are oft interred with their bones."

Fortunately, for me anyway, his good deeds are still thought abut frequently and the beatings of us kids and the berating of my mother are just a fading memory.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
December 16 1998. Heart attack....He was 53.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Good Friday, 2011. He gave far better than he got.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Mine is alive and well.

If I have to listen to another Lee Marvin or Lee van Cleef story, I'm gonna smash his remote control and call block him on my iphone

He's hiking out near Mt Whitney this week in King's Canyon. And I seriously doubt he's wearing his Air Cav Stetson.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord
Mine is alive and well.

If I have to listen to another Lee Marvin or Lee van Cleef story, I'm gonna smash his remote control and call block him on my iphone

He's hiking out near Mt Whitney this week in King's Canyon.

The other side of this story is him bragging to his buddies about driving you crazy telling you rambling stories about long-dead B movie actors.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I told him I gonna put him in a nursing home and make him watch Throw Mama from the Train every day.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
October 30, 2015 at 84 yrs old... the anniversary of his and Mom's first date. She died 6 yrs earlier on Good Friday. Same hospital, same surgeon, same surgery. Both died post-op and never left the hospital.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,663
Posts18,455,732
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.