Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
A
I bought some firewood several years ago from a WW2 vet then in his 80s ( he had hand split the wood). He told me he went to work at the local DuPont plant in 1949, working shift work, in addition to farming. He farmed with horses and worked shift for a year, then he bought a tractor. His daddy laughed and wanted to know how much manure he was going to get from that tractor. The next year his daddy bought a tractor.

GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
First tractors I remember was grandpas John Deere 720 and model 70. Both were diesel. I have the John Deere A he bought new in 1948 or 50. I had heard him say they had tractors before it but not what they were. He used to farm peanuts till the 60s sometime. Then he put all the peanut ground in coastal that I still bale. He sold the 720 in 84 or 85 and bought an international 1066. He couldn’t keep the rear end in it so in 95 he bought an International 1586 that I still use. Just square baled 824 bales yesterday and hauled them today. Just have 20 more acres to bale and I’m done.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Grandad bought a Farmall H in 1943. Came on steel wheels due to the war rationing tires. I know we had the receipt in the front cover of the owners manual when I was a kid, think it was $850. He was able to get rubber tires the next year I think.

The hydraulics were about shot when Dad traded it on another tractor with a loader in the late 80's.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
On my maternal side of the family this is the 1st tractor on my Great Grandfather's farm. No one could remember what the make was. GGfather is driving and his brother, who owned the threshing machine is next to him.

[Linked Image]

The tractor drove the belt on the threshing machine.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
81 Massey Harris was Dad's first tractor. I never saw it run, but played on it where it sat in the corner of the pasture..

Unstyled WC Allis Chalmers came after that, first tractor I remember running. Crank or coast it off the hill to start it.

Dad still hitched a team to feed in the winter. Used a sled on timber runners to haul hay if there was snow..

I remember the 8N Ford that came in the early 60's pretty much let the horses retire.

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
IC B2

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The first one I remember was a Minneapolis-Moline Z. I've seen pictures of him on a McCormack. He preferred horses, but bowed to reality and sold them to a neighbor about 1960.

Dale

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Neat photos!

Thanks!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know what my folks first tractor was, but I know they had a "B" Allis Chalmers at one time. I was born in 1950, and they bought a new "C" Allis and had it delivered to the farm the same week I was born. I used it to cultivate tobacco when I farmed, and it was still running and working in 1996 when it was burned up in a fire that also burned up my 2 other tractors.

I also remember my grandfather and his mules, Jack and Jim. He believed that mules were the best for working out the garden, and for plowing out tobacco. The last time I remember seeing any farmer around here use mules to farm with was in the 1960's, and then it was only to plow out tobacco. They could plow closer to the plant with a mule drawn cultivator as opposed to a tractor.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Growing up on the farm we had a large formerly ran collection.
In the collection was an old 10-20 McCormick Deering.
That was the first tractor on the farm I think.
My cousin passed away this year in his early 70’s but he loved to tell the following story.

My uncle had tipped the tractor on its side in what was known as the east field. To upright the tractor his uncle and grandfather had hooked ropes around it and backed the team up to the side. My cousin was put on the team to control them. He remembered being pretty little.
When the horses started to pull, the tractor started to screech and bang which spooked the horses terribly. The tractor landed on its wheels and then did two more full rotations as the horses bolted for home. My cousin remembered hanging on for dear life as they ran all the way back to the barn panting and wild eyed. Him too.

When my brother bought the farm he was able to sell the large collection as scrap iron to pay off most of his contract with the folks.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by roundoak
On my maternal side of the family this is the 1st tractor on my Great Grandfather's farm. No one could remember what the make was. GGfather is driving and his brother, who owned the threshing machine is next to him.

[Linked Image]

Just a hunch but I'd say Case.

grin

Cool pics!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You
Another tractor thread.

What was the 1st tractor on the farm?

My Great Grandfather bought an International Harvester Titan 10-20 and a three-bottom plow in the 1920s. It did not replace the work horses, but it speeded up the field work a bit, so he said.

[Linked Image]

My friend has two of those! Three Hart Parr’s also! He collects antiques tractors.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes Mark and Toby I do have a friend. One, but I have one!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Whelenman
You
Another tractor thread.

What was the 1st tractor on the farm?

My Great Grandfather bought an International Harvester Titan 10-20 and a three-bottom plow in the 1920s. It did not replace the work horses, but it speeded up the field work a bit, so he said.

[Linked Image]

My friend has two of those! Three Hart Parr’s also! He collects antiques tractors.

I knew knowing you wasn't a waste of time.........

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rooster7

[Linked Image]

Just a hunch but I'd say Case.

grin

Cool pics!

You are right on Rooster. A friend of mine enhanced the picture and 'Voila', CASE on the radiator.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Long after tractors were widely available, an old fellow who lived up the road from my grandfather kept a big mule. I was just a little kid at the time,...maybe 5 years old,...but I recall my grandfather borrowing the mule to break his garden.

He didn't have to. He didn't own a tractor at the time but many family members in the community had tractors and would have been happy to break his garden spot.

The old fellow who owned the mule had a couple of tractors, also. He didn't need to plow with a mule.

I didn't think anything about it at the time. But looking back afterwards, I guess those old men just liked having a mule around to stay connected with their youth.

My grandfather got a box of sugar cubes after he finished plowing and we stood in the yard feeding them to the mule. I recall being a bit anxious about the mule's teeth so close to my hand and my grandfather telling me to just hold my hand flat as the mule ate the sugar cubes out of it.

Then I was allowed to walk the mule home to his owner about a quarter mile up the road.

It's one of those little incidents that you look back on and realize that you didn't appreciate it enough.

My grandfather was not only connecting with his youth by plowing with a mule,....he was making the effort to connect me with it also.

It was a fun time,...but I was too young to take as much from it as I should have.

I don't know when you grew up Bristoe, but i'm going to guess you were born in the mid 50's. So let's say you were plowing this garden in 1960. There's a good chance that old man had bought or raised that mule in the 20-30's, and worked him every since. There is a serious bond there when you actually work with an animal that long. You don't just sell them or put them down because technology burst onto the scene. Hell, 10 years ago we still had a guy here plowing his garden with 2 mules. They were 40 and 42 years old. He worked them hard in the logging woods, He liked those mules more than a lot of people like their kids.

My old tractor is an IH 444 made around 1970, that pre-dates me by 18 years so I really like these old pictures.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Roundoak, you would love this event. You should try and make it one year.

https://rollag.com/

https://www.facebook.com/wmstr

It's only 11 miles from my house and I take my Dad every year for a fantastic breakfast. They have a very long parade every day with all kinds of neat old equipment that the enthusiasts keep running like tops. It's fun to listen to Dad's stories of threshing back in the day.

Last edited by Rooster7; 08/20/19.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I worked on my neighbors farm when I was a kid. This picture was taken in 1977 I think. I'm the kid on top, down on one knee. I remember him taking this picture like it was yesterday. It was the last load to go to the barn. This was the first tractor that he owned. I think it was an International Cub. He had a bigger JD and another even bigger International, but we liked to use this old girl also. I killed my first deer on that farm that year, and I still hunt there now. The tractor is still in the barn there, but not sure if it's been started in years though.

[Linked Image]

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the tip on steam thresher show in your area. I love those events and attend two or three in my area every year.

My great Uncle got me interested in them as he had a 1913 Port Huron steam tractor that he brought to the steam thresheree shows and put in parades. He also, collected the hit-n-miss antique gasoline engines.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

159 members (35, 257 mag, 338Rules, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 14 invisible), 1,324 guests, and 848 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,466
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.