Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14055525 08/16/19
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Before I get into the gun, I'd like to give a big shout out for John. He bought it 5-6 years ago and posted pics. I expressed interest and he has held it for me for years.Many others were turned off by the side mount scope. But, I liked it. I think it is a Noske. Which would make it a state of the art piece of glass for it's time. It has a rock solid mount. The glass is wavy, but I was looking at a well head at about 200 yards and I could see it well enough to take the shot. Looks like it might be 2-3 power. It has a few little dings, and it has my initials carved in the butt in a manner they look like a cattle brand. The color case is still pretty bright on the lever. It's in 300. This fall my first rifle going in the woods will be my 1926 F in 303 because that is the last round I need for my Savage Slam. Then this one is going next. These are some pics John sent me. I'll get some more tomorrow. John, thank you very, very much.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
eek

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Congrads Joe! I killed a spike with the "K" I had, Kinda Cool about the Brand!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That was nice of John to hold that for you Joe. I like it. You bringing that to Noxon?

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very nice!

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Yeah! I'd like to shoot that one!

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Yes.
Originally Posted by steve99
That was nice of John to hold that for you Joe. I like it. You bringing that to Noxon?

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any time you find a gun that satisfies you it's a win win. Who knows? It very well may lead to another.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Whew, glad it made it here ok. Going to the range today tried calling to see if you'd want to shoot the new girl, maybe you'll see this and reply!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Well, like Rory said, summer vacation is over. So, today I've got to get all the stuff done around the house. So, I can start Fall vacation tomorrow at Barley& Hops. See you there.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice Joe.

Joe

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would hunt and shoot the heck out of that thing. The period correct optic system is very cool. All Ks are beautiful.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Took a couple pics of the scope and mount. When I had the rifle over my cousins house, I tried the thumb screw, to take the mount off. I guess I was afraid of dropping it because it felt too tight to get off with my fingers. Sitting on the sofa, it unscrewed easy, and slid right off. This mount is built like a Sherman tank. There is a set screw on the bottom of the scope mount that stops it when sliding it on, and there is a dimple that the thumb screw indexes on. I'm sure this will return to Zero when taking it on and off. We will find out at Noxen.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Looking at the picture above, where I'm holding the scope in my hand, by my little finger, I could see some writing. I took another pic, then blew it up. It's definitely a +7. This thing is Not 7 power. I looked at some boards by my wood pile, and they look smaller through the scope than they do with the naked eye. I tried to get a pic through the scope but couldn't get it lined up . It looks much better through the scope than the pic shows. But, the glass is dirty on the inside.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The scope/mount and brand are very cool!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks, I think it's a Novske, but I can't find any marks. When John found it several years ago, there was quite a bit about Noske on line. Now all you can find is Noveske stuff for AR's.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
JRK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Gee, I forgot all about those initials being yours...you were meant to have it. I just got back from backpacking, was worrying over it arriving. Glad you got it and like it. I did some research and was convinced that the scope was a Novske, but... Were you able to take it down?

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
No, the spring on the latch beat me. The arthritis in my thumbs is bad enough I couldn't pull down on the latch, and out on the forearm at the same time. I did take the scope off, and the mount looks like it will return to zero time after time. My initials are actually JMB, but, close enough. I'm going to letter this one, wish JTC was still doing the letters. I've got something heading for your PO Box. Not sure if I'll get it off this week, likely will be next week. Thanks again.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Oh, I think you said the initials were the original owners? Did you know that for a fact? Just the way they are joined they look like a cattle brand.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
JRK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I don't know. The shop had no info, unfortunately. I can see that it looks like a brand, just sorta figured itd be the owners initials. I got the forearm off fine, couldn't get the barrel off, didn't want to try any harder. Rifle would really be something (as far as collecting) minus the mount and initials, eh? The glass is interesting, I wasnt sure whether to say wavy or dirty or...

Now back to finding that reasonable 358 brush gun...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

112 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, 13 invisible), 1,592 guests, and 711 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.