Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Looking for a medium to large bore handgun for hiking and hunting back up. Bought a Smith 627 but it will not do better than 4 inches at 25 yd no matter the load or shooter. We can beat that easily with the wife's CZ Shadow and my dad's Ruger Super Blackhawk, so I know there are handguns that are better, but neither of those fit the task well. I like both the older Ruger Blackhawks and some of the newer 1911 10mms, but I am not sure either one are very precise. I am told that I will need to purchase a 'target grade" handgun to meet this criteria. Makes sense I guess, I have been an active silhouette competitor for more than a decade and know it usually takes something custom to do well. Just not sure what that would be in a handgun. Appreciate your wisdom.

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I use a Colt Gold Cup Trophy with a fitted Clark Custom .460 Rowland kit. With handloads it will shoot 1 1/2" to 2" groups @ 50 yards all day long using a Ransom Rest. The gun will do it, so it is all up to the shooter.

Follow up shots with the comp is very fast. Loud as a 4" .357 Mag. Revolver.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A lot depends on how much better than 4" @ 25 yards is required. For example, most Glocks will shoot 4" or better with service grade ammo as will most other quality full-size production guns. But, besting 3" at 25 yds will make the pool of candidates much smaller and your choices will be exponentially limited if you want something that shoots under 2 inches.

As it is with most things, you get what you pay for so I wouldn't expect a Ruger SR1911 to shoot like a Les Baer.

Disclaimer: I'm talking in general terms; service grade ammunition - fired from a rested position - by a capable shooter.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
In my experience, 40-45 Glocks will keep five rounds of good ammo in 4-5 inches, careful rested shooting at 50 yards. My last 4" Model 29-2 would keep six 300 grain Sierras in 2 to 3 inches at 50. Any decent 1911 or Ruger SA will do it at 25 yards. So I don't think buying a target pistol is necessary to meet your accuracy expectations.

I think you just got a 'dud' S&W. Around 1986 I had a new Model 17 which would barely stay on a piece of typing paper at 25 yards, shooting from a rest.

Last edited by SargeMO; 08/20/19.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for the replies. I am at work and can't say much, but 2 to 3 inches would be fine. Trying not to waste any more money, and trying not to go down any rabbit holes by having to work on things.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Any decent 1911 or Ruger SA will do it at 25 yards. So I don't think buying a target pistol is necessary to meet your accuracy expectations.

I think you just got a 'dud' S&W. Around 1986 I had a new Model 17 which would barely stay on a piece of typing paper at 25 yards, shooting from a rest.

^^^ This^^^

Your Smith either has some issue or is in search of a load that it likes.

Most S&W's I've had/have (629's, 69's, 625's, etc.) will do 'around' 1 1/2" to 2" 25 yards rested with a load they like. Then again a few would not.

My Springfield Armory Stainless 'loaded' 1911 (not the version with the match barrel) would do 1 1/2 to 2 inches at 25 yards off a bench. Again I've tried some loads that were not up to that.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are many answers to your question, but at this point, a strong candidate would have to be one of the new smaller frame Ruger Flat top blackhawks, with 4-1/4" barrel, in 357 or 44 special. Your choice of blue or stainless, Bisley or standard grip frame....

Regards,

Tom
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by tominboise
There are many answers to your question, but at this point, a strong candidate would have to be one of the new smaller frame Ruger Flat top blackhawks, with 4-1/4" barrel, in 357 or 44 special. Your choice of blue or stainless, Bisley or standard grip frame....

That sounds like a great carry gun, thanks for the idea. I have about given up on the .357 round though. We tried to use one of the newer Marlin Cowboy .357s for silhouette and it just would not shoot well. The same rifle in .44 will cloverleaf rounds all the way out past the Turkey line (77yd).

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by 41magfan
A lot depends on how much better than 4" @ 25 yards is required. For example, most Glocks will shoot 4" or better with service grade ammo as will most other quality full-size production guns. But, besting 3" at 25 yds will make the pool of candidates much smaller and your choices will be exponentially limited if you want something that shoots under 2 inches.

As it is with most things, you get what you pay for so I wouldn't expect a Ruger SR1911 to shoot like a Les Baer.

Disclaimer: I'm talking in general terms; service grade ammunition - fired from a rested position - by a capable shooter.

There is a lot to this. There is a certainly a point of dimenishing returns in rifles, I assume the same is true for handguns. I guess that means I am looking for Tier II quality

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Have a polite conversation with S&W's service dept, & tell them of your attempt(s) to eliminate a poor shooter &/or incompatible ammo. See if they think they should have a look. And, depending on the age of the gun, I might be wanting a prepaid shipping label as well.

4" @25 is not acceptable accuracy for most decent handguns in the hands of a capable shooter, & Tier II or custom is not necessary to achieve better.

Edit: I read my reply this morning & didn't like it. It could seem like I've called the OP a poor shooter by my wording, that was not my intention. Only thinking the manufacturer might wonder about the shooter and the OP has eliminated that variable by having other shooters try it.. Hope this clears the mud.

Last edited by gunzo; 08/22/19.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I would get a decent 1911 in 10mm, a dan Wesson should do the job.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Aim small my friend.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by gunzo
Have a polite conversation with S&W's service dept, & tell them of your attempt(s) to eliminate a poor shooter &/or incompatible ammo. See if they think they should have a look. And, depending on the age of the gun, I might be wanting a prepaid shipping label as well.

4" @25 is not acceptable accuracy for most decent handguns in the hands of a capable shooter, & Tier II or custom is not necessary to achieve better.

Edit: I read my reply this morning & didn't like it. It could seem like I've called the OP a poor shooter by my wording, that was not my intention. Only thinking the manufacturer might wonder about the shooter and the OP has eliminated that variable by having other shooters try it.. Hope this clears the mud.

No problem, I wonder about my shooting sometimes too!

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by JackVliet
I would get a decent 1911 in 10mm, a dan Wesson should do the job.

I was at a gunshow this weekend and almost bought a Remington R1 Enhanced 10mm. I was not familiar enough with their quality or price so was unsure if it was the answer or not. I did like they way it balanced and felt in the hand.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (16Racing, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,931 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,454,035
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.