24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
John, what copper remover do you use to get a barrel down to bare metal? Thinking about Dyna bore coating a couple rifles.

Thanks, Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Usually Montana X-Treme, but sometimes JB Compound is required.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
John,
What is your opinion of Wipe-Out for the same purpose - getting rid of copper?
And how often do you encounter rifles that DO NOT benefit from a bare-metal-clean bore. My .35 Whelen AI loves a squeaky clean bore, but I have other's that seem to like a little copper wash on the lands.

Thanks,
Rex

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Wipe-Out also works well, but in general takes longer than the Montana X-Treme products, especially Copper Killer.

I've often encountered rifles that shoot best when fouled in various degrees. The most memorable was a .300 H&H with a custom cut-rifled barrel that had to be fired 12-15 times after a bare-metal cleaning before it settled down, but it would then shoot great for 80-100 rounds without cleaning. In fact, it drove me nuts for a while, because my normal "break-in" routine (if you can call it that) with new barrels is to clean the bore after every range session for a while. Was working up loads for this rifle, shooting a few handloads at a time, and it was NOT shooting well. Finally one day I decided to try a BUNCH of different loads, and after about a dozen shots the rifle started shooting really well, with just about any load. That's when the light went on....

If rifles require very frequent cleaning to shoot well, I treat them with Dyna Bore Coat.

All of this is why I keep a log of the shots fired from all of my rifles, along with cleaning intervals.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks John!

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Wipe-Out also works well, but in general takes longer than the Montana X-Treme products, especially Copper Killer.

I've often encountered rifles that shoot best when fouled in various degrees. The most memorable was a .300 H&H with a custom cut-rifled barrel that had to be fired 12-15 times after a bare-metal cleaning before it settled down, but it would then shoot great for 80-100 rounds without cleaning. In fact, it drove me nuts for a while, because my normal "break-in" routine (if you can call it that) with new barrels is to clean the bore after every range session for a while. Was working up loads for this rifle, shooting a few handloads at a time, and it was NOT shooting well. Finally one day I decided to try a BUNCH of different loads, and after about a dozen shots the rifle started shooting really well, with just about any load. That's when the light went on....

If rifles require very frequent cleaning to shoot well, I treat them with Dyna Bore Coat.

All of this is why I keep a log of the shots fired from all of my rifles, along with cleaning intervals.

So John, When you determine you have a rifle that does not like a super clean bore, how do you go about keeping it "sort of" clean? Or do you treat it in some way? Also interested in other folk's thoughts too of course.
I have a new .243 with a total of 192 rounds through it that I have decided is one of these rifles that hates a clean bore. When I clean the bore completely, loads that were shooting well "last time" get way worse. So after the last range session, I just used Shooter's Choice with a nylon brush followed by patches to get the powder fouling out but left most of the copper in it.
We'll see how that works next trip to the range.

Thanks,
Rex

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by TRexF16
... Also interested in other folk's thoughts too of course.
I have a new .243 with a total of 192 rounds through it that I have decided is one of these rifles that hates a clean bore. When I clean the bore completely, loads that were shooting well "last time" get way worse. So after the last range session, I just used Shooter's Choice with a nylon brush followed by patches to get the powder fouling out but left most of the copper in it.
We'll see how that works next trip to the range.

Thanks,
Rex

I wouldn't even do that much.

One patch wet with Ballistol, a five minute soak, and three or four dry patches is typical for me.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
John, what copper remover do you use to get a barrel down to bare metal? Thinking about Dyna bore coating a couple rifles.

Thanks, Ron

Just for mule deer hunting, I would not worry about it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
TRexF16,

Generally I use a fairly slow-acting copper solvent, say Wipeout or Montana X-Treme Bore Solvent, and leave in the barrel 1/2 to 1 hour, depending on the amount of fouling.

John Steinbeck

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
211 members (358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 31 invisible), 2,172 guests, and 983 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.