Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Diesel;

As many of you may know, there is no right to possess firearms in Canada, it's considered by the Supreme Court to be a privilege. Thanks to Alberta, when the constitution was repatriated here, we have no right to private property actually - but....

The issue up here is not a tool issue - it's a people issue - but no current politicians have the required spinal anatomy to even mention that little wrinkle.

Dwayne

I disagree with your first sentence. You do have the right to defend yourself, and you do have the right to private property. Your creator endowed you with those rights. Your government chooses not to recognize those rights. They are self evident.

The issue everywhere is a people issue.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First off "shall not be infringed" means just that, therefore I think all limitations on firearm ownership are unconstitutional. Presently we have numerous laws and procedures that infringe on our right. Enforce those laws and improve the background check system so things don't go unreported. We don't need more laws. We need better and more efficient enforcement of existing laws.

Diesel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Las Vegas- - - -nuff said.
Jerry

Hot
Yeah, I get that. Not saying the idea would stop all shooters, just maybe stop the young and dumb.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Diesel
That young people today seem to mature at a later age could add to the issue we did not have 30 years ago

And why would that be? If we address the reason for later maturation, we would find an answer to the problem.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sprint11
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Diesel;

As many of you may know, there is no right to possess firearms in Canada, it's considered by the Supreme Court to be a privilege. Thanks to Alberta, when the constitution was repatriated here, we have no right to private property actually - but....

The issue up here is not a tool issue - it's a people issue - but no current politicians have the required spinal anatomy to even mention that little wrinkle.

Dwayne

I disagree with your first sentence. You do have the right to defend yourself, and you do have the right to private property. Your creator endowed you with those rights. Your government chooses not to recognize those rights. They are self evident.

The issue everywhere is a people issue.

Sprint11:
Good evening to you sir, thanks for the reply.

I very much disagree with it too. wink

There are many of us working to attempt to change the silliness of how the Canadian Supreme Court views things, but it's slow going to say the least.

Could not have said it better or believed any different either - my Creator has given me rights and inherent responsibilities along with them and my government doesn't believe in any of the 3 - rights, responsibility or a Creator!

Thanks for validating my theory on it being a people issue too, I'd have to say most of the evidence supports it as far as I can see.

All the best to you this fall and good luck on your hunts.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

Diesel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Look, I don't want to give any right away. Mine or yours or anyone else's. I get the don't give an inch point of view and don't trust the left at any level. It just seems prudent to have thought out what to do before the problem is upon us. Find a way to stop the anti's and slow the shootings. it is open for discussion.

I am just as angry as anyone here that we are faced with an every day fight to defend our rights. If we cannot talk about it among a basically like minded forum without cutting each others throats, then we have already lost.

The whole reason to fight to keep semi-auto is to have a chance to save the way of life we have. It isn't for hunting.

The next generations will be who decides going forward. In twenty years most of us will be gone.

And for all you guys that think I am the enemy and my idea is stupid, what is your idea?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Find a way to stop the antis? Never happen. Slow the shootings? Murder rates are actually down, except in area's completely controlled by the antis. I still believe in punitive effectiveness, that is, make the punishment so unappealing it does act as a deterrent. The current penal system is ineffective because of the antis. Why? The antis are the ones screaming for "something" to be done, but when something is actually done, the antis scream that the punishment is mean and should be softer. The culture of lawlessness in 1990s NY/Chicago/Detroit was dealt with by increasing prosecutions and actively policing the areas. After the reduction in crime, those same liberals are screaming that prisons are too full. Yes, the U.S. has the largest prison population.......and I believe we should build more.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Sprint11
Find a way to stop the antis? Never happen. Slow the shootings? Murder rates are actually down, except in area's completely controlled by the antis. I still believe in punitive effectiveness, that is, make the punishment so unappealing it does act as a deterrent. The current penal system is ineffective because of the antis. Why? The antis are the ones screaming for "something" to be done, but when something is actually done, the antis scream that the punishment is mean and should be softer. The culture of lawlessness in 1990s NY/Chicago/Detroit was dealt with by increasing prosecutions and actively policing the areas. After the reduction in crime, those same liberals are screaming that prisons are too full. Yes, the U.S. has the largest prison population.......and I believe we should build more.

This is so true.
I don't remember when, but California passed a 3 Strikes law quite a while back and not long afterwards the papers were full of stories about people stealing a 12 pack or something else at gunpoint and going to jail for life.

All of them whining how it was wrong to send some to prison for life because he stole some beer or 50 dollars from a cash register.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Well that went well.

I kinda figured that it would bring this kinda response. Not really surprising .

It was an honest attempt to think preemptively.

You failed to recognize the true goal of the left.
An END to private ownership of firearms.
Nothing else will satisfy them

Your proposal will help them get closer to the goal, but they won't stop. EVER

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I

And for all you guys that think I am the enemy and my idea is stupid, what is your idea?

Outlaw gun free zones!

Encourage school teachers, K-16 to keep an effective weapon in their desk drawer, and become trained in its effective use.

Execute any cop who abandons children under his guard to die while he "shelters in place".

it is no coincidence that we have never had a mass shooting in a doughnut shop or a gun show.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Look at who does the shootings. Almost everyone of them have been democrats. They believe in violence to stop the conservatives.

Last edited by mtnsnake; 08/19/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The first step to stopping mass shootings is to stop gun control

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hesitate to even bring this up, but I have been trying to think of a way to stop young, immature, irrational and emotional people from committing these horrible and disgusting events, while protecting our right to bear arms.

A foreign concept these days but maybe start with some responsible parenting.

As far as more laws go........we already have plenty but the courts don't enforce em.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I suppose we could rename the Bill of Rights the Bill of Suggestions and rip out the Preamble with that unalienable rights garbage. But then you'd be destroying the basis upon which this country was founded. I think they call the results tyranny of the majority which is what you see in Canada and across Europe. And don't forget that there is a cost to having liberty in that there is always the possibility that people may misuse that liberty. Of course we can easily prevent that by removing that liberty or add restrictions to the point that the liberty effectively ceases to exist.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Well that went well.

I kinda figured that it would bring this kinda response. Not really surprising .

It was an honest attempt to think preemptively.
Understood... But let's 'think' about the US Constitution.... We already have literally thousands of gun laws already on the books... What's another law gonna do?

NO.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Look, I don't want to give any right away. Mine or yours or anyone else's. I get the don't give an inch point of view and don't trust the left at any level. It just seems prudent to have thought out what to do before the problem is upon us. Find a way to stop the anti's and slow the shootings. it is open for discussion.

I am just as angry as anyone here that we are faced with an every day fight to defend our rights. If we cannot talk about it among a basically like minded forum without cutting each others throats, then we have already lost.

The whole reason to fight to keep semi-auto is to have a chance to save the way of life we have. It isn't for hunting.

The next generations will be who decides going forward. In twenty years most of us will be gone.

You are thinking just like the anti's!!! You want to restrict the law abiding instead of fixing the mental health issue. They don't want to fix the mental health issue because there is money in it. They don't want to make us safer, they just want us unarmed, no matter what it takes. Regarding your idea, what about semi auto shotguns with an extended mag tube? Will that be next???? So, if you are going to propose something useful, focus on the issue, not the tool that the crazy people use, because there are sane people that like those tools too!

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Small giveaways all add up in the end to losing the 2nd amendment. I am not in favor of giving up anything.

living the good life every day
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the vast majority of multiple victim shootings the perp was under 28 years old and used a semi-auto rifle.

Your thoughts?

Actually not true at all. The very very few attacks the media like to popularize used said rifle but the vast amount of multiple (and single victim) shootings use handguns.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/476409/mass-shootings-in-the-us-by-weapon-types-used/

While I appreciate your sentiment that we need to understand the cause and work to prevent them, I'm not sure what adding another law to the 22,000+ federal, state, local firearms laws we have will do to prevent them. We need to focus on the people doing these crimes and enforce the laws we have.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
A constitutional amendment is obviously the answer- - - - - - -do the numbers "18" and "21" ring any bells? Lathes and Bridgeport mills producing black market guns in clandestine machine shops will get as popular as backwoods distilleries were in the Roaring 20's if the 2nd. Amendment ever goes away, and there will probably be a future President's campaign financed by a gunrunner father instead of an international bootlegger. Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat its mistakes.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gun control seems like it should be a low priority. Look at all the other ways US citizens kill them selfs and others.
Texting and driving, DWI’s and drug overdoses come to mind.
Gun control allows the government to have control over its citizens. Look what’s going on in Hong Kong . Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

344 members (1lesfox, 22250rem, 240NMC, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 36 invisible), 1,998 guests, and 1,056 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,493
Posts18,452,327
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.