Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Jpterry Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
You guys need to go back and read my posts, I thanked everyone for their comments and insights. Yes, I was surprised with the amounts being thrown out.. especially the $600, $750 amounts... That was ridiculous.

After that, I searched harder for ACTUAL SALES of pre war 70s especially those that had been drilled tapped an in similar condition. I then posted links on those sales and guys still argued they were bogus/fake bids.... Again ridiculous.

And I agree, I appreciate the insight and confirmation on the rifle being all original outside of being scoped.

Also, agree that auctions are best way to determine value and will be more than happy to come back and post what it sells for. That way the collectors on this forum will have a current value of what it's worth of they're interested.

BTW, nice job with the personal jabs... I've sold dozens of firearms on this forum and one rifle especially one in this price range doesn't keep me up at night. But I will disagree and do research when I feel strong someone is obviously wrong. But nice try with the personal attack comments....

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That first link you posted is a very clean gun. I have no doubt that it sold honestly for that amount.

The second link is ridiculous. The gun was reblued, re-chambered, a prewar (Clover leaf tang) in a later (Tapered Tang) Ramline Woodtek stock. That is a $500 gun. Also it was never a 300 H&H. The Seller, a friend of the Seller or an idiot bought that one.

PreWars have always brought a little more. The biggest thing your's has going for it is the uncut stock. Your gun is in no where near the condition as the first link you posted. Also that gun shown does not have blueing loss around the barrel. Put your gun in a gun cabinet and it will look the same; the oil is just rubbed off from contact with the carrier. Now look closely at the pic of that gun's bolt and look at your bolt. There is where you lose the most money. Your entire bolt body to include the handle looks as if it was polished bright years ago and has rust spots on it. It may have even had a little grinding at the base for scope clearance. And look at your stock vs that one. Your's has a lot of dings.

As I said earlier your gun is a nice gun but not in near the condition as the one that sold for $1,400.00. I will also add that M70 prices look to have recovered a bit, but asking price ain't selling price. I hope you get $900 or more. Also it is a 30-06, you can't judge another caliber as there were more 30-06 made than any other; the others will always bring more than a 30-06 in similar condition.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for the additional comments sbrmike, I will look closer at the bolt handle before listing. There's zero rust anywhere on the metal including bottom of action so would be surprised if the bolt handle ever had rust. But I will double check, I take my credibility seriously when I list, here or GB, and want to point out anything that needs to be highlighted.

I agree on listing price starting at $900 and see where it goes. This one ends in couple hours and already at $1050. It's a later pre war with cut stock end and drilled/tapped. Should be good barometer.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/825825451

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I'm following that one and had intended to bid, it went from 400 something to over 1000 in just a few hours.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by Jpterry
Thanks for the additional comments sbrmike, I will look closer at the bolt handle before listing. There's zero rust anywhere on the metal including bottom of action so would be surprised if the bolt handle ever had rust. But I will double check, I take my credibility seriously when I list, here or GB, and want to point out anything that needs to be highlighted.

I agree on listing price starting at $900 and see where it goes. This one ends in couple hours and already at $1050. It's a later pre war with cut stock end and drilled/tapped. Should be good barometer.

Is the serial # still electropenciled on the bolt?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Originally Posted by Jpterry

Is the serial # still electropenciled on the bolt?

Yes it is. It's a pretty cool serial number too... It's 11110

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Those pics show a lot nicer bolt than your first pics. Let's have a look at the handle too. That last listing posted, what a shame! Nice old gun except for the botched pad installation and cutting it off in general. M70's appear to be bringing better money than they have been.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Yes, I was thinking the pics must not be good because the bluing outside of hinge is excellent.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That is a much nicer looking bolt! I based my $600-$750 estimate mainly on the altered bolt handle. There is nothing wrong with that bolt handle and appears to have a lot of original blueing. Trust me, if you go to list that somewhere take some good pictures outside with a solid, light (white is best) background and watch the shadows. It ought to bring good money; how much, who knows. It should break a grand. It is a very late 1937. Pretty darn good shape too. The only detractor is the extra hole and that is a $100 hit at the most. Take the base off for the pics but be sure to include it as the gun is a collectible / shooter.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks Mike, very much appreciate the advice and comments. Sorry if I was defensive earlier in this thread about the condition. My bad for not posting better pics.

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Update?

Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
On GB at 800.00 --reserve not met-- 12 days to go....

J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
This one sold a couple days ago for $1500...1937, pre war, drill tapped and stock grip was drilled on. Bluing is similar with barrel/receiver and hinge plate.
Bidding was at $800 on it with a few hours to go and jumped up to $1500 at final sale.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/828906818

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Just curious, GLWYS.

Btw, awesome Pythons.

Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Oh I'm thinking he's way more into this rifle than he says he is and was hoping you all would reenforce his belief it was worth 2grand. You guys kicked him in the nuts with good honest facts. As AKwolverine said put up for auction and let the boys on gunbroker settle this.

That is the best way to do it. I also agree that this is not a $1,400.00 rifle. However, some weird as hell things happen over on GB sometimes. If I ran across this rifle locally, I wouldn't have given $700.00 for it.. I've seen nicer rifles for less...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Lol... Some of the posts in this thread are borderline hilarious. "Nicer rifles for less"....ok, whatever.

Last edited by Jpterry; 09/15/19.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Facts are legit $1200-1400 pre 64 70's sell quickly, and they sell quickly right here. You have been sitting on this one for almost a month and none of the knowledgeable guys here want it at that price. Which should tell you something. After all, you came here for advice. Help is how you put it. wink The stock is far from excellent and the floor plate bluing is trashed along with the trigger guard being the same. The fact that someone paid $1500 for one that was worse than yours, only means they paid too much. .

Last edited by battue; 09/15/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by battue
Facts are legit $1200-1400 pre 64 70's sell quickly, and they sell quickly right here. You have been sitting on this one for almost a month and none of the knowledgeable guys here want it at that price. Which should tell you something. After all, you came here for advice. The stock is far from excellent and the floor plate bluing is trashed along with the trigger guard being the same. The fact that someone paid $1500 for one that was worse than yours, only means they paid too much. .

Guess what... This isn't the only place to sell a pre war Model 70 and I've had multiple PMs from members confirming some of the comments on here are ridiculous.

It's on GB with 7 days left and current bid is $1000 with 56 watchers. Think I will go with that to determine value vs some "experts" in a sub forum that's more interested in bubba smiths showing pics of their work.

Hate to be so real in this thread but tired of the ridiculous comments trying to back up their buddies.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Guess what, let's get real....

Two almost perfect pre64 70 stocks that came off of rifles that for the most part spent their entire lives in safes. See any difference compared to yours. Both rifles were bought for $1200.
One has been used and now has some dings. The other hopefully will get some use this year.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

The one that has been used still looks better than yours.

Guess what. smile The one still to be used.

Last edited by battue; 09/15/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
And that proves what???... Absolutely zero when it comes to what a 1937 pre war M70 is worth. But hey, couple on nice pre64 stocks... Good for you buddy.

More than happy to come back and show what it sells for in a week on GB.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 2,813 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,695
Posts18,456,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.