Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Looking for some help to value a Pre War 1937 Win 70 in 30/06 that looks to be all original outside of the Redfield base and being tapped.

Stock has zero chips or cracks, bluing is very nice outside of where it was carried on hinge plate. Zero rust anywhere and bore is excellent, shiny and very crisp. This one was carried more than shot, cycles and locks up smooth and tight.

Did search on GB but nothing really falls in line with his one. Would appreciate feedback and thoughts on value to list or trade. Thanks!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Jpterry; 08/20/19.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
$600-$750 easy around here.The stock is actually probably worth $500 itself! The worst thing besides the extra hole is the rear sight is on backwards. It may be that way for scope clearance or there may be two small holes on the top of the barrel under it for a scope block?

Last edited by sbrmike; 08/20/19.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Yes, it did have a scope on it and I haven't messed with it since taking it off. Should be simple ton use sight pusher to remove and flip back around. Just glad original owner kept it vs using a plug.

If stock is worth $500...I would hope the rest of tight is worth more than couple hundred bucks.

Last edited by Jpterry; 08/20/19.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The stock is definitely worth $500.00 easily, an uncut, unaltered, prewar stock, but you will spend at least $200 for an altered replacement. Most guns are worth more parted out than whole. I am not suggesting to part this one out but that unaltered stock definitely has value.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It's been hunted and has wear. It's been drilled and tapped so its collector value is reduced greatly. It's a 30-06 which means you have the most common clambering, even more so in prewar. But it is a nice looking prewar model all the same. As a whole gun you could probably get 900-1100 if you held out for it. I think you could get 900 pretty easily though.

IC B2

J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks. Definitely was hunted, but back in 1930s I think anyone who spent money on a rifle was a true hunter and used them as tools. This one was definitely taken care of though and feel it's in very good shape for 83yrs old.

I'm surprised being a first year production rifle wouldn't add more value to it.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Actually, it’s not a first year production gun as it was serialized in Oct. ‘37. There were approx. 4,000 M70’s made in 1936. The extra hole really hurts the gun and it doesn’t have a lot of condition. Many people looking for an early M70 would not even consider this one.

What did you pay for it?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I disagree with not considering it. It's a matter of economics and use. Would a genuine stick it in a gun safe and let it collect dust collector be interested? No. But it still has plenty of interest and value as a classic useable hunting rifle.

J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I traded into it awhile back as part of a package deal but I'm I'm good shape on it.

Maybe the pics are not clear enough, outside of the hinge plate, the bluing is excellent, bore is near perfect and stock has no chips or cracks. Understand about the drill/tap but surprised on condition comment with 80+ year old rifle. What else stands out on the condition?

Most books and sites refer to 1937 as first year production but understand they made couple dozen in 1935 and thought I read couple thousand in 1936.

Anyway, doesn't seem to be much interest in it with the group here so will throw it on GB and see what happens. Thanks for the replies.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey King, I wouldn't argue with you about what he has. A nice early shooter, but this is the Winchester Collectors page and what Poconjack is telling you is absolutely correct considering that. It's only original once after that, you have a collection of parts or a shooter. There's value in both but they are very different.

Last edited by Bobmar; 08/21/19.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
IC B3

J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Did another search and this is the only Model 70 Pre War 30/06 that's sold in last 90days on GB that I can find. It's been drilled/tapped and stock was cut for peep sight.

It sold BIN for $1400 so looks like there are guys out there wanting them and still desirable. Thanks again for comments and will take better pics and list it later this week.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/825192480

This pre war has aftermarket synthetic stock and been rebored and still sold for $900 BIN.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/822741003

The other one is drilled/tapped 270 that sold for $1600 and the other is listed for $3500+ but hasn't sold. Value is based on what someone will pay but based on these listings I feel mine is definitely worth as much as first one that sold for $1400. Not sure what I'm missing.

Last edited by Jpterry; 08/21/19.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The first one you listed there is super clean with only that extra hole. The Lyman 48 is also a plus. Yours although a decent gun is in no where near the condition as that one, plus the bolt handle has been polished. Yours will sell quick at $750 and may bring $900 if you wait long enough.

That second listing is as phony as they come. That gun was never a 300 H&H, who are they kidding. I don't know who paid $900 for that one, as that was a $500 -$600 gun.

Take a look on gunsinternational at honest M70's to get an idea of pirces; that is classifieds not auctions. Auctions can and do have shill bidders.

J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
So now drill and tapped is ok and cutting stock is ok?? That was the whole collector vs non collector comment.

And the one that sold for $1400 is definitely not much cleaner than mine, not sure what that's all about. Anyway, I have no doubt it would sell immediately at $750-900 but that ain't happening.

I didn't see any pre war rifles when I initially searched on GB in line with mine but not I have. That gives me a good idea now on value. But thanks anyway.

Got what I needed from this thread...thanks for replies Glad to know it's all original outside of the drill/tap and will l list it accordingly. That was main thing I needed to know.

Last edited by Jpterry; 08/21/19.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
First one is a 4 digit which makes it earlier and to some more valuable.

Also, yours has bare metal showing on the floor plate and trigger guard. That one doesn't. Plus it has no Nick's or dents showing in the wood as yours does. It's finish is also superior to yours based on the photos.

J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by KingCobb
First one is a 4 digit which makes it earlier and to some more valuable.

Also, yours has bare metal showing on the floor plate and trigger guard. That one doesn't. Plus it has no Nick's or dents showing in the wood as yours does. It's finish is also superior to yours based on the photos.

Both manufactured in same year. He states it has nicks in the wood, that one has significant bluing loss midway around the barrel, stock has been altered and been drilled/tapped. And it wasn't an auction with shill bidders... It was a BIN from a member with over 240 buys.

Might be hard to accept, but drill/tapped pre wars that are not safe queens are bringing $1400-1600. I also checked on GunsInternational per the recommendation above. Pre wars that have been drill/tapped are selling for even more over there.

This is my last post in this thread. I definitely know alot more about Pre War 70s than I did a few days ago. Thanks.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
The first rifle will clean up better.
It will be listed and sold by Frontier Guns on GI in a month for 1K more...

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I don't understand asking people's opinions and then arguing with them.
One asks for honest opinions and he likely will get some. It is what it is. No reason to get one's feeling hurt. It's not like they are saying your wife/daughter/sister are ugly or lacking in morals.
If you want to know what the gun will bring, sell it on a site where they seem to be selling for relatively high prices. Then you will know.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
^This.
You got some very good insight from some incredibly knowledgeable Winchester aficionados ... for free. And you want to kick sand in their face?
Put it on gunbroker with no reserve and a 14 day auction. You will find out exactly what it is “worth.” You can then come back here and rub everyone’s nose in it ... or take your licks.
Cheers.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh I'm thinking he's way more into this rifle than he says he is and was hoping you all would reenforce his belief it was worth 2grand. You guys kicked him in the nuts with good honest facts. As AKwolverine said put up for auction and let the boys on gunbroker settle this.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Agreed it is bad form to ask advise/opinions and the argue with the giver, not likely to get any help the next time around. If you're mind is made up why ask, go ahead and do what you're wanting to do. Buyers will soon let you know your guns value in the marketplace.

J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
You guys need to go back and read my posts, I thanked everyone for their comments and insights. Yes, I was surprised with the amounts being thrown out.. especially the $600, $750 amounts... That was ridiculous.

After that, I searched harder for ACTUAL SALES of pre war 70s especially those that had been drilled tapped an in similar condition. I then posted links on those sales and guys still argued they were bogus/fake bids.... Again ridiculous.

And I agree, I appreciate the insight and confirmation on the rifle being all original outside of being scoped.

Also, agree that auctions are best way to determine value and will be more than happy to come back and post what it sells for. That way the collectors on this forum will have a current value of what it's worth of they're interested.

BTW, nice job with the personal jabs... I've sold dozens of firearms on this forum and one rifle especially one in this price range doesn't keep me up at night. But I will disagree and do research when I feel strong someone is obviously wrong. But nice try with the personal attack comments....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That first link you posted is a very clean gun. I have no doubt that it sold honestly for that amount.

The second link is ridiculous. The gun was reblued, re-chambered, a prewar (Clover leaf tang) in a later (Tapered Tang) Ramline Woodtek stock. That is a $500 gun. Also it was never a 300 H&H. The Seller, a friend of the Seller or an idiot bought that one.

PreWars have always brought a little more. The biggest thing your's has going for it is the uncut stock. Your gun is in no where near the condition as the first link you posted. Also that gun shown does not have blueing loss around the barrel. Put your gun in a gun cabinet and it will look the same; the oil is just rubbed off from contact with the carrier. Now look closely at the pic of that gun's bolt and look at your bolt. There is where you lose the most money. Your entire bolt body to include the handle looks as if it was polished bright years ago and has rust spots on it. It may have even had a little grinding at the base for scope clearance. And look at your stock vs that one. Your's has a lot of dings.

As I said earlier your gun is a nice gun but not in near the condition as the one that sold for $1,400.00. I will also add that M70 prices look to have recovered a bit, but asking price ain't selling price. I hope you get $900 or more. Also it is a 30-06, you can't judge another caliber as there were more 30-06 made than any other; the others will always bring more than a 30-06 in similar condition.

J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for the additional comments sbrmike, I will look closer at the bolt handle before listing. There's zero rust anywhere on the metal including bottom of action so would be surprised if the bolt handle ever had rust. But I will double check, I take my credibility seriously when I list, here or GB, and want to point out anything that needs to be highlighted.

I agree on listing price starting at $900 and see where it goes. This one ends in couple hours and already at $1050. It's a later pre war with cut stock end and drilled/tapped. Should be good barometer.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/825825451

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I'm following that one and had intended to bid, it went from 400 something to over 1000 in just a few hours.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by Jpterry
Thanks for the additional comments sbrmike, I will look closer at the bolt handle before listing. There's zero rust anywhere on the metal including bottom of action so would be surprised if the bolt handle ever had rust. But I will double check, I take my credibility seriously when I list, here or GB, and want to point out anything that needs to be highlighted.

I agree on listing price starting at $900 and see where it goes. This one ends in couple hours and already at $1050. It's a later pre war with cut stock end and drilled/tapped. Should be good barometer.

Is the serial # still electropenciled on the bolt?

Hunter S. Thompson
J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Is the serial # still electropenciled on the bolt?

Yes it is. It's a pretty cool serial number too... It's 11110

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Those pics show a lot nicer bolt than your first pics. Let's have a look at the handle too. That last listing posted, what a shame! Nice old gun except for the botched pad installation and cutting it off in general. M70's appear to be bringing better money than they have been.

J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Yes, I was thinking the pics must not be good because the bluing outside of hinge is excellent.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That is a much nicer looking bolt! I based my $600-$750 estimate mainly on the altered bolt handle. There is nothing wrong with that bolt handle and appears to have a lot of original blueing. Trust me, if you go to list that somewhere take some good pictures outside with a solid, light (white is best) background and watch the shadows. It ought to bring good money; how much, who knows. It should break a grand. It is a very late 1937. Pretty darn good shape too. The only detractor is the extra hole and that is a $100 hit at the most. Take the base off for the pics but be sure to include it as the gun is a collectible / shooter.

J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks Mike, very much appreciate the advice and comments. Sorry if I was defensive earlier in this thread about the condition. My bad for not posting better pics.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Update?

Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
On GB at 800.00 --reserve not met-- 12 days to go....

J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
This one sold a couple days ago for $1500...1937, pre war, drill tapped and stock grip was drilled on. Bluing is similar with barrel/receiver and hinge plate.
Bidding was at $800 on it with a few hours to go and jumped up to $1500 at final sale.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/828906818

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Just curious, GLWYS.

Btw, awesome Pythons.

Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Oh I'm thinking he's way more into this rifle than he says he is and was hoping you all would reenforce his belief it was worth 2grand. You guys kicked him in the nuts with good honest facts. As AKwolverine said put up for auction and let the boys on gunbroker settle this.

That is the best way to do it. I also agree that this is not a $1,400.00 rifle. However, some weird as hell things happen over on GB sometimes. If I ran across this rifle locally, I wouldn't have given $700.00 for it.. I've seen nicer rifles for less...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Lol... Some of the posts in this thread are borderline hilarious. "Nicer rifles for less"....ok, whatever.

Last edited by Jpterry; 09/15/19.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Facts are legit $1200-1400 pre 64 70's sell quickly, and they sell quickly right here. You have been sitting on this one for almost a month and none of the knowledgeable guys here want it at that price. Which should tell you something. After all, you came here for advice. Help is how you put it. wink The stock is far from excellent and the floor plate bluing is trashed along with the trigger guard being the same. The fact that someone paid $1500 for one that was worse than yours, only means they paid too much. .

Last edited by battue; 09/15/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by battue
Facts are legit $1200-1400 pre 64 70's sell quickly, and they sell quickly right here. You have been sitting on this one for almost a month and none of the knowledgeable guys here want it at that price. Which should tell you something. After all, you came here for advice. The stock is far from excellent and the floor plate bluing is trashed along with the trigger guard being the same. The fact that someone paid $1500 for one that was worse than yours, only means they paid too much. .

Guess what... This isn't the only place to sell a pre war Model 70 and I've had multiple PMs from members confirming some of the comments on here are ridiculous.

It's on GB with 7 days left and current bid is $1000 with 56 watchers. Think I will go with that to determine value vs some "experts" in a sub forum that's more interested in bubba smiths showing pics of their work.

Hate to be so real in this thread but tired of the ridiculous comments trying to back up their buddies.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Guess what, let's get real....

Two almost perfect pre64 70 stocks that came off of rifles that for the most part spent their entire lives in safes. See any difference compared to yours. Both rifles were bought for $1200.
One has been used and now has some dings. The other hopefully will get some use this year.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

The one that has been used still looks better than yours.

Guess what. smile The one still to be used.

J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
And that proves what???... Absolutely zero when it comes to what a 1937 pre war M70 is worth. But hey, couple on nice pre64 stocks... Good for you buddy.

More than happy to come back and show what it sells for in a week on GB.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
And that proves what???... Absolutely zero when it comes to what a 1937 pre war M70 is worth. But hey, couple on nice pre64 stocks... Good for you buddy.

Well, good luck with the sale. Like the car dealers say, there is an ass for every seat, but if is sells for more than a $1000, it means absolutely zero when compared to what it is actually worth. See how that works....

J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J

Well, good luck with the sale. Like the car dealers say, there is an ass for every seat, but if is sells for more than a $1000, it means absolutely zero when compared to what it is actually worth. See how that works....

Ok gotcha... So a couple of guys on a sub forum in 24hr overrides the largest gun auction site in the world when it comes to establishing value of a firearm. Again... hilarious and delusional.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You are the one who came here with your hat in your hand....

J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
You are the one who came here with your hat in your hand....

I thanked the members that actually gave knowledgeable insight and value to the thread.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You're welcome....

J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
You're welcome....

You must have misread my last post... Try again

Last edited by Jpterry; 09/15/19.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'll leave you with this. You are pushing a barely above beater pre 64. Anyone that pays more than beater dollars got taken....Doesn't mean you will not get your price, but they still got taken.

J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I'll leave you with this. You are pushing a barely above beater pre 64. Anyone that pays more than beater dollars got taken....Doesn't mean you will not get your price, but they still got taken.

Thanks for confirming to myself and everyone that reads this thread you have zero knowledge or credibility when it comes to rating a firearm or understand the value of Pre War/64 Model 70s.

Beater condition...too funny. Thanks again for another nice laugh to end the night. But at least you bumped up your post count, go find another thread to sling your crap.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Did you mention pre-wars....Drilled, filler and a pad, maybe $1000 on a good day....

J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Did you mention pre-wars....Drilled, filler and a pad, maybe $1000 on a good day....

Probably right, the stock has been cut and not original takes at least $2-300 off the value. Missing sights as well, that's at least another $100-200.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Correct.

And yours? Beater stock, beater bluing, beater marks on the receiver. Who knows what the rifling is like? It all deducts down to a beater. Then again, many find attraction in a well weathered example. You know, the if it could tell it’s stories buyer. And that one most certainly and obviously has some stories to tell.

You run down some of the posters on this forum, but came here for their advice and knowledge. Why, if you are the pre war 70 expert?

Got what I needed from this thread...thanks for replies Glad to know it's all original outside of the drill/tap and will l list it accordingly. That was main thing I needed to know.

Last edited by battue; 09/16/19.

J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Correct.

And yours? Beater stock, beater bluing, beater marks on the receiver. Who knows what the rifling is like? It all deducts down to a beater. Then again, many find attraction in a well weathered example. You know, the if it could tell it’s stories buyer. And that one most certainly and obviously has some stories to tell.

You run down some of the posters on this forum, but came here for their advice and knowledge. Why, if you are the pre war 70 expert?

Bluing is excellent on the receiver/barrel on my 1937 M70 which is obvious by my pics. It was carried on hinge plate and trigger and yes bluing is worn there. The stock has zero chips or cracks and not been cut, finish is very good for a 80+ yr old rifle.

Keeping with your beater comments just makes you look childish and ignorant. But I'm flattered you're so enamoured with my rifle and thread.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Facts are the facts. Tell us about those scratches on the receiver. Let’s see a nice close up of the barrel. No wood cracks that we can see, but many dings and scratches. Checkering almost gone in one spot. Finish is good for an 80YO user, but I guarantee you, that if it gets snowed on for a day, it will turn white in the wear spots till it drys out. Floor plate and trigger guard chewed up, but the barrel escaped?

The old Fire line of being enamored with your thread is a worn out comeback, that at most is funny and at best weak.

You have an honest $800-900 rifle to a user buyer, and being a fine rifle, it would be a great buy for that purpose. Any more is a bonus for you.

You have the customary 3 day return policy?

Last edited by battue; 09/16/19.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Did this rascal sell? How much?

I must say that I saw the ad once and noticed the lack of pictures showing the scratch on the receiver that was displayed here. I hope the buyer had requested more pics and that one was included.

There is a dusy preWar for sale there at $3499.00 or there abouts. The metal is original finish but far from mint, rear bridge drilled, and Tilden Safety, very late, post 1947 Lyman 48 on that too. The stock is a refinish with fresh checkering. Gun Broker pre 64's never cease to amaze me. So much treachery there.

Last edited by sbrmike; 09/23/19. Reason: addition

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Holy schidt, the rifle is, like battue said, barely above beater status. How much did it sell for? Weve all seen some funny schidt go down on gb. A lot of ignorant fools there.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Yeah, GB needs a 24HCF rating system, "primo collector", "user", "beater"' & "piece of shidt" and then end the auction when it reaches the price set by selected members here. wink

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Weve all seen people get taken on GB. A lot of ignorant buyers. The bad thing is ive seen it happen to some guys here. Someone will post a beautiful 300H&H, for example, and say something like, "hey guys, what do you think about my new 300H&H, I just bought it over at gunbroker". Then we'll break the bad news to the poor guy that his H&H was a "put together", rifle. They then ask, "how do you guys know that so quick". "Surely you guys are wrong!!!". We then explain, look at the receiver, its a standard receiver. They never made an H&H on a standard receiver. Sorry, but you got taken.

BSA MAGA
J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Members saying it was a beater are idiots, plain and simple. Obviously they have zero knowledge or credibility on values of M70s, especially pre war models. The rifle was carried more than shot, bore was outstanding as well as bluing outside of hinge plate.

Stock was in great shape, zero chips or guages... Just light dings and scratches which were great for a freaking 83yr old Rifle. No need for me to call out any of the butt sore posters in this thread... obvious who they are. So sorry I didn't list it for $800 buy it now... Lol.

Last edited by Jpterry; 09/23/19.
J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Weve all seen people get taken on GB. A lot of ignorant buyers. The bad thing is ive seen it happen to some guys here. Someone will post a beautiful 300H&H, for example, and say something like, "hey guys, what do you think about my new 300H&H, I just bought it over at gunbroker". Then we'll break the bad news to the poor guy that his H&H was a "put together", rifle. They then ask, "how do you guys know that so quick". "Surely you guys are wrong!!!". We then explain, look at the receiver, its a standard receiver. They never made an H&H on a standard receiver. Sorry, but you got taken.

Another idiotic and worthless post that has nothing to do with this thread or the rifle I sold. If you're calling me out that I misrepresented the rifle, then we have another issue we need to discuss.

J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by sbrmike
Did this rascal sell? How much?

I must say that I saw the ad once and noticed the lack of pictures showing the scratch on the receiver that was displayed here. I hope the buyer had requested more pics and that one was included.

There is a dusy preWar for sale there at $3499.00 or there abouts. The metal is original finish but far from mint, rear bridge drilled, and Tilden Safety, very late, post 1947 Lyman 48 on that too. The stock is a refinish with fresh checkering. Gun Broker pre 64's never cease to amaze me. So much treachery there.

Another clueless and stupid post I've sold over two dozen guns on this forum and perfect feedback on GB... Might want to do a little research before calling out a member. There are pics of both sides of the receiver in my listing... It's a damn 83yr old hunting rifle. Never said it was mint condition. What a jackass.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
More than one way to skin a cat....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You did not post this pic in your ad and it is the most damage besides the floorplate. Also you might watch the personal attacks; they can get you banned and I think you are primed for it. Just my opinion. You will be on my ignore as soon as this posts.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This one deserves ignore.....

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Now, now. He did show both sides. Just not any that were close-up, and there was an obvious reason....

The good sellers go out of their way to show, or describe, every flaw. The others don't....

He says he got more than we here thought it was worth. Good for him....

Last edited by battue; 09/23/19.

J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Like I said perfect feedback on GB and here on 24hr. As far as personal attacks, you are in my thread calling my credibility in question. Fist part of my description in GB listing provides my email and the offer to send any additional pics or answer any questions.

Obvious who in this thread was completely wrong and they are not man enough to admit it. Pitiful..

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Didn't look at your GB add, but still waiting for an answer on the customary 3 day return policy most often used by upfront sellers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like I said perfect feedback on GB and here on 24hr. As far as personal attacks, you are in my thread calling my credibility in question. Fist part of my description in GB listing provides my email and the offer to send any additional pics or answer any questions.

Obvious who in this thread was completely wrong and they are not man enough to admit it. Pitiful..

Bullchit,
You should always point out and take pictures of the flaws... full disclosure.. as I did for you on the deal I never heard back from you on....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hmmm, and the worm turns....

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
IMO (which is worth a bucket of warm spit) age of a gun has no bearing on condition. Either a gun is mint, near mint, excellent, very good, etc. or it's not. I love it when guys say "it's in excellent shape for its age"- I automatically think they're fluffers. (That's meant as a general observation.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
NO ONE I've dealt with on the fire or GB has ever asked to return a firearm I sold them. And if they did, would have no problem as long as it is same shape I sent it to them. You guys are grasping for something to justify your earlier posts.

Returning or refunding a deal wouldn't change my life style or impact my finances to any degree to risk damaging my credibility. I never posted the rifle for sale on the fire so once again, you have no clue.

Ridiculous and petty little posts.

J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by irfubar

Bullchit,
You should always point out and take pictures of the flaws... full disclosure.. as I did for you on the deal I never heard back from you on....

No idea what deal you're talking about but anytime I've committed to purchase or sell... I've fulfilled it. If you sent me some pics and I didn't respond... My bad and I apologize.

This is my last post on this thread, if you guys want to keep posting to "protect" your little group... Go ahead. If you're so obsessed with my ethics and credibility, search on my posts in classifieds and reach out to the 20+ members that have bought from me and see if ANY of them were not happy or asked for a refund.

I'm done with these idiotic posts, complete waste of my time. The rifle is sold...move on already.

Last edited by Jpterry; 09/24/19.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
NO ONE I've dealt with on the fire or GB has ever asked to return a firearm I sold them. And if they did, would have no problem as long as it is same shape I sent it to them. You guys are grasping for something to justify your earlier posts.

Returning or refunding a deal wouldn't change my life style or impact my finances to any degree to risk damaging my credibility. I never posted the rifle for sale on the fire so once again, you have no clue.

Ridiculous and petty little posts.

So you don't have an officially stated 3 day return policy. Thanks for the reply....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds like someone should be asking, "How's crow taste?"

LOL
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Now, now. He did show both sides. Just not any that were close-up, and there was an obvious reason....

The good sellers go out of their way to show, or describe, every flaw. The others don't....

Won’t be me....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Won’t be me....

Or me.....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Perhaps Fireball will be kind enough to let us know how it went down???? smile

Last edited by battue; 09/25/19.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Please, please let it die.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It has been decreed that death is the appropriate sentence.

Providing the OP doesn't say this is his final post for the third time. grin

J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
It has been decreed that death is the appropriate sentence.

Providing the OP doesn't say this is his final post for the third time. grin

As long as you keep posting and bumping this thread, I will reserve the right to give my final post.

I bet you wish this thread would die... Lol. Surprised you have so much time to post while trying to swallow all that crow. "Not me" "Not me"... Too funny.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Proves your word means little. Buyers beware.

No crow to be eaten here. As mentioned good for you.

J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Proves your word means little. Buyers beware.

No crow to be eaten here. As mentioned good for you.

You're the one that shown zero integrity or being man enough to admit you were wrong...Not me. Obvious to any that reads this thread. So glad it's documented for everyone to see your true level to do and say whatever except man up.

Look forward to adding just as much value to your future posts/threads as you did in this one.

Was pissed and irritated at you, now it's just plain sad...

Last edited by Jpterry; 09/25/19.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You are so weak in your comebacks in addition to being confused, along with again thinking you speak for all others.

Next you play the cuunt with threats to add your value to any future threads from me. You would do well on The View.

Now I’ll show you how it’s done. I’ll leave you alone with your rag.

Bye now.

J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Finally... See you soon buddy

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
And this is why we always say put it on gb and see how much you get out of it. Like i said in an earlier post, weve all seen some weird schidt go on over there.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's funny how everyone says, "If you want to know what a gun is worth, stick it on GB for a penny start and no reserve! It's worth what a buyer is willing to pay for it!". Seriously, how many damn times have we all heard that anyway?

Then the dude does it and all the bashers tell him how it ain't worth what it sold for.

Am I missing something here?

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm gonna duck down in the trenches with my bowl of popcorn and let the bombs fly over on this one. Five pages of insult hurling is going for a campfire record already.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I'm gonna duck down in the trenches with my bowl of popcorn and let the bombs fly over on this one. Five pages of insult hurling is going for a campfire record already.

I am still trying to work out the issue.

The man asked for opinion on price, listed it as suggested, and realised US $1680.00 at auction.

Good for him.

24hourcampfire...toes trodden upon, arses reamed, opinions bandied.

Dollars win.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Dollars win.

Yep, and those that called BS on him eat crow.

LOL
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
You know, sometimes it's not what a item is worth, but how bad someone else wants the item and how much they are willing to pay.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by lynntelk
You know, sometimes it's not what a item is worth, but how bad someone else wants the item and how much they are willing to pay.

Yes, that seems to apply every time I bid on ebay.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

And if you sell a fifteen thousand dollar rifle for seven thousand at auction then the rifle was worth seven thousand dollars, right up 'til you get more for it. If you can

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Many seem to be missing the point the seller may not have disclosed all the rifles faults in the auction listing......
By his own admission.... after being called out on it.

Last edited by irfubar; 09/26/19.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Many seem to be missing the point the seller may not have disclosed all the rifles faults in the auction listing......

To that most guys would say "buyer beware".

But I hear what you're saying.

LOL
J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J

That's complete BS and you know it. I hid nothing in my listing and I posted as many pics as GB allows from every angle. My first sentence in my auction listing provides my personal email with offer to answer any questions or send additional pics. It was a 14day auction, plenty of time for any and all to ask questions or ask for more pics.

The above statement is another BS attempt to try and save face vs manning up and admitting you were WRONG about the value of the rifle and you just can't own up to it. Bringing my credibility into question is a personal attack and completely uncalled for.

Last edited by Jpterry; 09/26/19.
J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J

This comment insinuating I admitted to not disclosing is absolute slander...I never admitted to that and was clear I included pics of the scratch on the left side receiver that a select few of you seem to focused on why it didn't sell for less, which is ridiculous.

Here's the pic I posted on GB in my listing of the left side of receiver showing the scratch. It is insane I'm needing to defend my reputation with the amount of deals I've done on this forum and GB.

Here's the pic that was in my GB listing.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Jpterry; 09/26/19.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Well past time to tell the nay sayers good night and turn out the light.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by gunswizard

I think we've managed much more than five pages in the past, haven't we? Perhaps not on "Winchester Collector's", but we've had to have done much better on the "Hunter's Campfire."
That said, any more space in the trench and any extra popcorn? cool

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Stick a fork in it. It's a "shooter" grade model 70. Nothing wrong with it. I actually like shooters. I still wouldn't have given over $700.00 for it if I had ran across it at any local gun shop here... No need for the op to get his panties in a wad over that. Again, if you ask "what's this worth", be prepared for the guys in the know to pick it apart and give you real world appraisal. If it sells higher on gb (like some things do), that is a bonus if it was described honestly/correctly and people know the true condition of the rifle. I also have nothing against gunbroker or the sellers there. I actually recently contacted one seller and told him his "1954" rifle he had listed had a '59-'63 stock on it and a partial serial number in his listing would clear things up a little. He contacted me thanking me for the information. He ended the listing and re-listed it with the correct info and partial serial number. That rifle was actually manufactured in 1960 and the seller did the right thing by re-listing it. This rifle in the op was not a collector grade by any means, but someone wanted it. Hopefully they will be happy with it..

BSA MAGA
J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Stick a fork in it. It's a "shooter" grade model 70. Nothing wrong with it. I actually like shooters. I still wouldn't have given over $700.00 for it if I had ran across it at any local gun shop here... No need for the op to get his panties in a wad over that. Again, if you ask "what's this worth", be prepared for the guys in the know to pick it apart and give you real world appraisal. If it sells higher on gb (like some things do), that is a bonus if it was described honestly/correctly and people know the true condition of the rifle. I also have nothing against gunbroker or the sellers there. I actually recently contacted one seller and told him his "1954" rifle he had listed had a '59-'63 stock on it and a partial serial number in his listing would clear things up a little. He contacted me thanking me for the information. He ended the listing and re-listed it with the correct info and partial serial number. That rifle was actually manufactured in 1960 and the seller did the right thing by re-listing it. This rifle in the op was not a collector grade by any means, but someone wanted it. Hopefully they will be happy with it..

What you will give for it has nothing to do with the true value of a rifle, which is obvious. Would love to see where any 1937 M70 in same condition as that one sold anywhere near $700 online. Please post a link.

I didn't get my "panties in a wad" over what the so called experts in this thread were saying what it was worth. Pretty clear they're not experts and my bad for thinking there was more knowledge in this forum on current Pre M70 values.

What I did and still take issue with are the insinuations and claims I misrepresented or did not show pics of conditions. Which are outright lies. Maybe you take jabs or claims against your integrity and honestly lightly...I don't.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
You expected the "experts" around here to speak the truth????? I see you've learned that insinuation is more the norm here on the Campfire.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
This comment insinuating I admitted to not disclosing is absolute slander...I never admitted to that and was clear I included pics of the scratch on the left side receiver that a select few of you seem to focused on why it didn't sell for less, which is ridiculous.

Can't believe this thread is still unlocked (does that ever happen here?), but to be technical it isn't slander, but COULD be libel if you took it to court...

Kansan

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Tag.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Like I said, stick a fork in it...

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (160user, 11point, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 69 invisible), 2,757 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,628
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.