Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
The recent thread on home defense debating the use of a shotgun and its potential downrange lethality on family members or neighbors got me thinking about assumptions I was making. Since the wife frowns heavily upon indoor recreational shooting, I’ve never had any real firsthand experience with the interaction between drywall and shot shells. Gut instinct tells me that 00 buck would be a bit much for indoor use, but left me wondering what would be appropriate. Since I have firsthand knowledge of what a load of birdshot will do to deer size game at close range I thought low brass eights might be the best choice.

To that end I cobbled together a low tech redneck test rig and decided to try some various shotgun loads against it to see if anything jumped out at me. The test rig was intended to duplicate two non-insulated internal walls of an average home. Just four panels of half inch dry wall separated by common 2 x 4 studs. Nothing fancy, but sturdy enough to withstand the proximal blast of a 12 gauge.

During the course of the test I used # 1 buck, high brass # 4, high brass # 7.5, and low brass # 8. All loads were shot from a fully choked 870 at 6 yards to approximate the confines of a family room. Results were sobering ( for me at least ).
All loads easily passed through the fours layers of dry wall and did considerable damage to the backstop used to support the test rig. Going into this I would have bet my left jewel that the low brass # 8 load would have been contained inside drywall layers 3 and 4. That assumption was an eye opener to be sure.

Entrance and patterns at 6 yards. I was surprised that the bird shot was already dispersing radially at that range to the extent that it did coming from a full choke. Also note that in all cases the plastic shot cup penetrated the first layer of drywall. We have dug them out of several does we shot while bird hunting.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Exit view of all loads.

[Linked Image]

Just for grins and giggles I also tried several pistol calibers with Hornady Critical Defense ammo against the rig. As expected the .45 ACP and 9 MM sailed through all four layers, but I thought the lowly .380 would have been trapped somewhere inside. Wrong again, as it too penetrated much better than expected.

Yes I know this one off test has absolutely zero scientific value, and was not intended to claim such. I simply wanted to see how shotgun loads might perform inside a home.

To paraphrase Mark Twain, if during the course of a home invasion your MIL is sleeping in an adjacent bedroom don't be tempted to swing wide with a couple of loads of shot. You just might fetch the old girl.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
AND, 6 yards is probably a LONG shot in most houses................

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Interesting. Looking at the exit wounds, is the #1 on the left and the #8 on the right?

When I was a kid, I loved a high brass 7 1/2 for squirrels and rabbits.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Interesting. Looking at the exit wounds, is the #1 on the left and the #8 on the right?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Crow, I wouldn't agree the test has no scientific foundation, but suggest a couple of things for consideration.

While choke is a variable with shotguns it would serve well to actually pattern a gun with the load of choice and remove the question marks. Choke is not the only thing that affects pattern spread. Velocity is a big player as is shot column length. I've done a fair bit of shotgun reloading for clays and game shooting. While deep into the world of shooting clays I started loading 20 ga equivalent loads for the 12, ie. 7/8th oz of shot in a IC choke. It shot very much like a FC barrel from a pattern perspective. That said, I have an old 12 bore with a 28" FC barrel that will confine a load of buck in a 10" pattern at 25 yards every time. One simply does not know what will happen with scatterguns until you head to the range and find out what the facts are. Likewise, many subscribe to the idea that more open bores shoot Forster slugs better than a FC. Yeah, maybe, sometimes....but the referenced 12 bore barrel above will shoot stunningly well with such loads. As in dead hog out to 75-80 yards every time. And a load of #8 shot will make a quail bird pretty much vanish out near 20 yards.

Your test geometry is biased by the premise that a load dispatched at the perp will strike the wall at a 90* angle give or take. That is statistically unlikely. Given your test at 6 yards, 90* impact, try it again with maybe a 45* angle and see what happens. To illustrate the point, imagine you confront a punk in the hallway. Any shot that goes wide will have a much shallower impact angle and this will cause far different results. Too, keep in mind that while some shot may in fact pass thru 4 layers of drywall, given the variables in home floor plans, it may be more, or less. Regardless, innocent souls on the far side will suffer less from shot that has made that journey, both in number of strikes and depth of penetration.

With all that out of the way, consider this. Every home has variable geometry and in some portions a 6 yards shot might be long. In others 15 to perhaps 20 yards is a possibility. So it is in my present house and one I lived in some years back in Georgia offered a shot that might have been closer to 25 yards. The variability is large and circumstances are one the home owner has more control of than the punk. Keep that in mind when you become alerted to the fact that someone is trying to break in or has already gained access to your home. It is a point where the home owner holds the advantage, a position not to be surrendered by yelling "Who's there?!" Nope. Keep your lips zipped, grab your cannon and quietly keep your grip on the high ground. One can seek out the punk, or let them come to you, your choice. Make the call, show no mercy. Better the coppers listen to your testimony in lieu of both sides of the debate.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
One of my soapbox sermons is; Until you shoot a lot of different "stuff" with a shotgun using various loads & see for yourself, throw away your ideas on the matter. Most, like you are surprised & come away enlightened.

'Ya learn new things, but mostly it's just fun. Sheetrock, plywood, washing machines, dryers, what penetrates & what doesn't? And... what gets penetrated & what doesn't. I've learned, provided you could hide behind it, that a hot water heater can be some of the best cover in a house, even when empty.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If a round won't penetrate a little drywall, how is it going penetrate enough bad guy to stop the threat when seconds matter?

Well, we don't rent pigs, and it's better to say it right up front because a man who does like to rent pigs is — well, he's hard to stop.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The drywall acts like canted armor plate.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You might also try "cut shells" in your shotgun. If you are worried there will not be enough penetration, and bird shot is all you have handy.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is good info in case I'm ever attacked by Drywall

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
BD this was really just a down and dirty starting point to satisfy my own warped curiosity. Most of your above factors were considered and I also thought of using multiple chokes and additional loads. I kinda just wanted a practical idea of what might happen inside the constraints of a home if my aim was off. Some here seem to scoff at the idea of using a scatter gun for home defense as they think it lacks power needed to incapacitate unwelcome guest.

Your descriptions of how individual guns of the same gauge perform differently is well taken. I have two almost identical 20 gauge A5 humpbacks both with modified barrels. One I use for birds and it is patterned about as open as a skeet choke. The other I generally use for doves and rabbits because it is much tighter. Who knew shotguns and women are so similar?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by David_Walter
This is good info in case I'm ever attacked by Drywall

"When good drywall, goes bad!" Film at 11. (What happens when building materials run amok? Join us and see for yourself. ) wink

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
From what I’ve personally done and seen from others that have fired various shot loads inside homes/buildings (either training or HD), I am no fan of a shotgun indoors, where there are other unintended targets anywhere in the vicinity. Round, slow velocity lead balls ricochet/deflect off of almost any surface and go in crazy directions (though the bulk will just follow down a wall), while penetrating more than most think logical. I’d rather have pointy (or flat/HP), fast, expanding/frangible, well-aimed projectiles, staying roughly in line with my intended direction of fire. JMO. I’m not saying I won’t use a shotgun, if handy. I just think they’re often overrated and misunderstood, indoors.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 08/20/19.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
We used to shoot pine trees in half with birdshot when I was a kid. We were pretty close and the trees were only as big as your knee...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And I saw more than a few point men in Nam carrying short barreled Win Model 12s. Must have been some reason.....

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
And I saw more than a few point men in Nam carrying short barreled Win Model 12s. Must have been some reason.....

This. Besides, who among us is capable of pinpoint accuracy in a dark environment at 2:00am after being nudged awake from a deep sleep? Maybe one in two hundred of we stalwart Campfire denizens. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt- it ain't fun. Give me a shotgun over the loaded 1911 in the nightstand if I have the time...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
In the Navy, we had Ithaca mod 37's. Mag went all the way to the end of barrel. First time I saw triple o buckshot.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Triple ought is for the movies and deer hunters. Ought or #4 buck if you're serious about this.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I knew what your results would be.

One day I was coming home from a squirrel or whatever hunt
right after passing our 1/2" thick plywood 100yd target back,
I spun around and gave her two quick 1 1/4 oz loads of #6's.

From about 10 feet, I blew two hand size holes in it.
One more time Dad had to chew my ass.
I really didn't think it would go through,
But it flat ruined that target.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Triple ought is for the movies and deer hunters. Ought or #4 buck if you're serious about this.

I wasn't hunting deer in Vietnam. Don't think they even have deer. I damn sure I wasn't in any movie.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 11point, 10gaugeman, 77 invisible), 2,749 guests, and 1,368 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,472
Posts18,451,746
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.