Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Hudge Online Shocked OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
So, I believe I have an ejector issue on my Remington 700 BDL .300WSM. I bought the rifle a couple of years ago used from a guy on JBER. Anyways, the first batch of ammo I bought, only a few rounds would allow the bolt to close when a round was chambered. Well, that was an ammo issue as none of them were seated the same from the factory, but that's a different story. Anyways, the wife bought me a Tikka a couple of Christmas' ago, so the Rem 700 has been sitting in the safe since then. Anyways, I shot the Tikka last week sighting it in for moose season, and decided I would mess around with the Rem 700 and see if I could get it going. I did a few tests to eliminate a few issues. I put a full round of several different factory .300 WSM rounds I had on had, only one would allow the bolt to close and that was a chore. So, I took the scope and rings off to eliminate the scope ring screw being an issue. I then backed off the front screw for the stock, and still no change. I put it back together, minus the scope and rings, and did a few more things for trouble shooting. I put an empty case in and the bolt will close, but again a chore. I pulled the bolt out and the round and empty case will chamber just fine. So, I think I have an ejector issue, but need a gunsmith to check to make sure and then do the required work to fix the issue. Any recommendations?

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Can you push the Ejector button down flush with the bolt face with a punch? If you can it’s likely not your problem.

Hudge Online Shocked OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Yes, I can push the ejector button down, but it's not easy to do. I want a good smith to look at it before I commit to anything. I really don't want to send it back to Remington either, as I have replaced all of my triggers with Timney triggers. I think shortly after I bought this particular rifle, the darn trigger broke in it.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a chamber problem..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
How far out is the ejector button when the bolt is out of the rifle? Is it past the front edge of the bolt? I have had rifles with too-long ejectors. I removed the roll pin from the bolt and shortened the ejector. Can you press the ejector in so that it is flush with the bolt face?

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 79S

Not on a rifle that has worked fine previously...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
How far out is the ejector button when the bolt is out of the rifle? Is it past the front edge of the bolt? I have had rifles with too-long ejectors. I removed the roll pin from the bolt and shortened the ejector. Can you press the ejector in so that it is flush with the bolt face?

There could be something jamming the ejector... It is most likely the problem and brass shavings from hot loads is the most likely scenario... but cutting off the ejector button is ridiculous.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Start by cleaning it very thoroughly and even taking the plunger out and looking for brass shavings.

Look at the extractor for junk caught in it or if it is broken.

W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Take to Sitka deer. You’ll never see it again. Problem solved.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Go play in a wildfire. Your choice of which one.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Hudge Online Shocked OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by 79S

Not on a rifle that has worked fine previously...

Maybe I should clarify, I have gotten the gun to shoot in the past, but it was from the factory ammo that was not seated properly. Only the shorter seated bullets are the ones that fed properly and shot through the gun. I can't vouch for the person I bought the gun from, as he didn't say anything, other than he shot it in FL where he bought it at. Also, the rounds that did fire in the rifle, the bolt was hard to pull back to eject the rounds.

Hudge Online Shocked OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Start by cleaning it very thoroughly and even taking the plunger out and looking for brass shavings.

Look at the extractor for junk caught in it or if it is broken.

That fixed it just now. I took the bolt apart and sprayed some of my Remington Shotgun Cleaner in it, and I had two brass shavings come out of it. I have taken the bolt apart and removed the firing pin once before, and cleaned it to no avail. This time, it worked. I took three different factory rounds and made sure they all fed just fine and I made sure the bolt closed without forcing it. Now I've got to mount everything back up and get back to the range soon.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shooting them hot often leads to those brass shavings...

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Go play in a wildfire. Your choice of which one.

So many choices..

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Hudge Online Shocked OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker

Possibly, but I know I didn't shoot it enough to even get it hot. The prior owner may have, that gun was rough when I bought it, but it's cleaned up good. Now maybe I can actually see if it shoots good.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hudge

Possibly, but I know I didn't shoot it enough to even get it hot. The prior owner may have, that gun was rough when I bought it, but it's cleaned up good. Now maybe I can actually see if it shoots good.

Not talking about getting the rifle high via temperature... but rather running higher pressures than one should...

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Not talking about getting the rifle high via temperature... but rather running higher pressures than one should...

He doesn't reload maybe previous owner did. I have ran across factory 300 wsm that is pretty damn hot federal comes to mind.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 79S

He doesn't reload maybe previous owner did. I have ran across factory 300 wsm that is pretty damn hot federal comes to mind.

Absolutely agree.

Hudge Online Shocked OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S

Absolutely agree.

Yes, the ammo I did shoot out of it that was hit or miss on the seating issue was Federal factory ammo. Even the Federal ammo I shot out of my Tikka T3 .300WSM last week is what I would call hot. I need to just sit my butt down and start reloading as I have everything to do it with, just never had the time in the past. With this new job, I will not be on hour hour standby every other weekend, so I can actually dedicate time to other stuff now.

With that being said, I'll be back at the range before the weekend and will give the 2 boxes of Nosler Ammo with 180 gr. Accubonds I found in the closet a try. Sometimes it's like Christmas when I clean out the closet! smile

Last edited by Hudge; 08/20/19.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 50 invisible), 2,694 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,813
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.