Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I will be moving from Arizona to New England. So far my plan is to pack my powder and primers in two separate coolers for the drive. Anyone else have experience doing this? Also, I have some black powder. Do the same rules apply or would I be better off just giving it away and buying more once I move.

Last edited by Tom_in_AZ; 08/20/19.

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I moved a few times myself from CA to NC and a few places in between. I always just boxed up my stuff and moved it. Never thought about coolers and the like. I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt but I didn’t suffer any losses doing it the way I did either.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Since 1986 I’ve moved everything 4 Xs. I too separated powder from primers but
did NOT separate B P from smokeless.

I wouldn’t give B P away and I don’t think there is any reason to do so.

God Luck man. BTDT

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He’s moving to New England folks, things get tricky there. Since crossing state lines & transporting there is one reg you should know and not too many people know about the NFPA code that is in place across the country.

CODE FOR THE MANUFACTURE, TRANSPORTATION STORAGE, AND USE OF EXPLOSIVE MATERIALS NFPA NO. 495-1992.

CHAPTER 10. SMALL ARMS AMMUNITION AND PRIMERS, SMOKELESS PROPELLANTS AND BLACK POWDER PROPELLANTS

10-3. SMOKELESS PROPELLANTS

10-3.1 Quantities of smokeless propellants not exceeding 25 lb (11.3 kg) in shipping containers approved by the U.S. Department of Transportation may be transported in a private vehicle.

10-3.2 Quantities of smokeless propellants exceeding of 25 lb (11.3 kg) but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), transported in a private vehicle, shall be transported in a portable magazine having wood walls of at least 1-inch (25.4 mm) nominal thickness.

10-3.3 transportation of more than 50 lb (22.7 kg) of smokeless propellants in a private vehicle is prohibited.

Have a good trip.

Swifty
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’ve moved reloading kit across the country 6 or 7 times. That’s been from western desert to the east coast, pretty far north (like 30 miles from Canada), etc.

Officially I would state I’m always in compliance with the regulation Swifty noted above. If anyone ever reads this performing an investigation.

Speaking of the regulation, I read it to say you can officially transport up to 25 lbs of powder per private vehicle, in approved containers. Since Powder Valley ships me containers of powder in the factory container, in a cardboard box, those approved shipping containers aren’t that stringent.

I transport powder and primers separately. I package bullets of one diameter with brass corresponding to that rifle(s) in its own container. I package press/gauges that go on the bench together, with a plastic baggie including all necessary hardware, in its own container. I package other like items (ie cleaning supplies) together. I package die boxes together.

Since I attempt this “logical grouping” of items it’s pretty quick to get up and going again. Don’t wait too long! If you wait you might find something rusts or whatever waiting to be unpacked.

I’ve never had any problems with any powders or primers. I move black powder with the other powder, no issues. Everything in original packaging. I do make a point to put powder/primers where they won’t be too hot, ie if you are towing a car on a dolly I probably wouldn’t put the powder in that sealed car.

I would also say I unpack the house first. #1 priority is the beds. #2 is the kitchen. When I get down to hanging pictures is about the time I start unpacking the reloading. Twice we moved when my wife was 8 months pregnant, and I know you can unpack and clean a house (because the boxes and everything make it filthy) in 3 to 4 days. Of course if you have to go to work and stuff that drags it out to a couple weeks. If you are moving by yourself you can of course do whatever you like!

Good luck!

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Box the stuff up and get on the road. Don't fret too much, the more you worry the more sh*t will happen. If you plan on driving through with Rebel flags and such flying, well maybe you should reconsider. The Three S's pertain here here in the East as anywhere else.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you come across I-40, and up I-81, you have no extra worries until you hit
Maryland, behave for 12 miles. Pa is safe, I-84 will get you closest while in friendly
territory, but once you hit NY, gun stuff may be problematic if you get stopped.

Please tell me NH or Maine is your destination.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Northeast Kingdom VT is the destination (Unless my plans fall through). Thanks for the advice! Sounds like I’m overthinking it as usual.

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Better over than under.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Don't speed, Take all pro gun/Trump stickers off car. Best to rent small U Haul and bury everything in boxes of used cat litter.

I do it 2X /year never been stopped.

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Pack and go it's not an issue. Unless as stated your flying a Rebel flag of some other attention getter! Change voters minds when you get there! They keep voting in Bernie!

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Work moved me from PA to CA, back to PA then back to CA. Each time the movers just boxed my reloading equipment and supplies and took them.

Last edited by old_willys; 08/21/19.

Ted
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Make sure you pack and load things like powder and primers yourself. I had a friend and his wife help me and she thought it was ok to load things upside down which was not my plan. Make sure bullet boxes are taped shut, etc.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I don't understand why anyone would move to anywhere in New England period?MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

All those components got where they were sold by truck or rail without exploding, why should it be any different in your car or truck?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
I don't understand why anyone would move to anywhere in New England period?MB

Ever been to Northern New England? Along the border is some of the most beautiful country in the United States.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yup......Northern New England is a great place to be. And, contrary to what you read on here...very gun friendly.

PM me if you want the inside dope.

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Somewhat gun friendly today, so was NY --- once. Gun Grabbers run all NE states and will win in the long run.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Can't cross MA state lines with a gun, without having it approved first. At least that is what the roadsigns say.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Can't cross MA state lines with a gun, without having it approved first. At least that is what the roadsigns say.

Whitey Bolger says otherwise.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

135 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 21 invisible), 1,786 guests, and 961 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.