24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The previously mentioned Pre-64 M70 notwithstanding with the same action length and a spacer block for the .308, most .308's today are made on shorter and therefore stiffer actions which the target guys seem to appreciate. For hunting accuracy it sure wouldn't matter. I carry a rifle a whole bunch more than I shoot it and I rework my serious hunting rifles into light weigh stocks with shorter, lighter barrels. I made a perfectly good .308 into an even more perfect 7# 7mm-08 and split your difference. In retrospect just shooting factory ammo, the .308 would have been less expensive to shoot in the long run and no animal would be able to tell the difference.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Brad,

I have yet to find the higher sectional density of the .270 with equal-weight bullets makes any difference in killing big game--and between Eileen and I we have taken a bunch of animals with both over the decades, in both North America and Africa. What does make a difference is bullet construction, per usual.

With cup and core bullets, of equal construction, the higher SD bullet may not kill any better, but they will absolutely penetrate deeper (270/150 vs 308/150).

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Brad

With cup and core bullets, of equal construction, the higher SD bullet may not kill any better, but they will absolutely penetrate deeper (270/150 vs 308/150).

No ref. to MD, but that point certainly is lost on some today.

Equal construction is the key point.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The reason I have a 308 over a 270 is I can use the same 30cal bullets in my 30-06,300WSM or 300Win Mag if I choose to.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

If all else is equal, perhaps. SD is a metric oft relied on to riddle expected results, but there are so many other factors at play that it is a guess on the best of days. It is nothing more than a ratio of weight/diameter that will begin to change as soon as the target is met. What is the SD when 30% of weight is lost? What is it when the bullet begins to tumble. The world of terminal ballistics is one of the last remaining scientific black holes in shooting sports and I suggest one not spend a lot of time theorizing about what happens and the results thereof. Just put the bullet where it needs to go.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Starman
..??

.308 is short action, and not gay.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

If all else is equal, perhaps. SD is a metric oft relied on to riddle expected results, but there are so many other factors at play that it is a guess on the best of days. It is nothing more than a ratio of weight/diameter that will begin to change as soon as the target is met. What is the SD when 30% of weight is lost? What is it when the bullet begins to tumble. The world of terminal ballistics is one of the last remaining scientific black holes in shooting sports and I suggest one not spend a lot of time theorizing about what happens and the results thereof. Just put the bullet where it needs to go.

There's a pretty well established relationship between SD and penetration in conventional bullets. Nice thing about penetration is fairly empirical results can be arrived at even by a layman. So in the case of the 270/308/150, it's really not a "black hole" at all. And I promise a 150 Partition from a 270 will out-penetrate a 150 Partition from a 308. So what's better, putting a "bullet where it needs to go" that penetrates more or less? Generally the difference matters little, but occasionally on bigger, big game it might.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know a guy...ahem,who once killed two bull elk with a single 150 grain Nosler Partition. Two lung shot bulls,two very short blood trails in the snow. Totally unintended,didn't even see the second bull.Which was tagged and eaten by hunting partner. All this was years ago and the statute has run. grin

But the 270 with a 150 Grain Nosler Partition is capable of any animal in North America,just ask Phil Shoemaker how it works on Brown Bears.

I'm not sure the 308 with a 150 grain Partition is as capable. One could step up to heavier bullets in the 308 but velocity begins to fall off as you do.

I have wanted a Pre 64 Featerweight since I read Bill Jordan of Border Patrol fame write about his. Bill's gun was originally chambered in 308,and Bill sent it back to Winchester and had them fit a 270 barrel and convert the rifle to 270. Bill's go to bullet was the 150 grain Partition which he used for everything.

Reading his exploits as well as O'Connor made me a 270 Partition fan.
But I will admit to deer hunting with a Sako Mannlicher in 308 because of John Wooters. grin

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

But I will admit to deer hunting with a Sako Mannlicher in 308 because of John Wooters. grin

Well..... it doesn't take much to influence some....huh . laugh laugh

Joking of course. I'm a Wooters fan too.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A .308 win probably is a better general choice. I don't own one anymore. The 30/06 and .270 are my choices for western game.With a 30/06 on hand the .308 fills no need...not into platforms, just turn bolts and leverguns

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

There's a pretty well established relationship between SD and penetration in conventional bullets. Nice thing about penetration is fairly empirical results can be arrived at even by a layman. So in the case of the 270/308/150, it's really not a "black hole" at all. And I promise a 150 Partition from a 270 will out-penetrate a 150 Partition from a 308. So what's better, putting a "bullet where it needs to go" that penetrates more or less? Generally the difference matters little, but occasionally on bigger, big game it might.

In the absence of fact, theory is fine.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've had better luck getting excellent accuracy out of cast bullets in the 270, and at some scorching speeds (for cast bullets). Longer neck helps in that regard. For jacketed bullets, I can see a thin advantage going to the 308....shorter action, less powder, more suitable powders, component availability, yada yada yada, but I can't see that one could ever tell the difference between the two on animals big or small, as long as the right bullets were used.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Not theory, fact. You can easily test the two for yourself. Sorry that doesn't fit in one of your pre-conceived boxes...

Starman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
As the O/P I will say this;

Theres a place for compact .308 rifles , but they have never suited me even after trying three of them.
Ruger UL, Rem.mod. 7, and Miroku BLR... all had 20"...but each time I began missing my longer barrels.

The best feeling .308 I've handled was; Wby ultra-LW, based on a long-action with 24"
it doesn't sound right or ideal for a .308win, but it felt great at 5-3/4 lbs.

cutting it back to 23" would be my idea of a compact enough rifle .. grin

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Not theory, fact. You can easily test the two for yourself. Sorry that doesn't fit in one of your pre-conceived boxes...

Riddle me this. Why does the bullet from a CCI CB Short penetrate more than that of a .22 LR when applied to the same anatomical region on hogs?

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My first experience with the ".308" was in the form referred to as the 7.62x51 NATO. Did not care for it in the M14, but found it quite functional when belt fed thru miniguns or M60s. Have no idea how much I burned up, but know there were some days when 10K rounds were sprinkled here and there around I Corps. My sentiments toward the round are the same as those on the 5.56. Don't care if i ever shoot another round of either. Never shot a round of .270 or lusted for one.

Use whatever works and have a good hunt or three this fall.

I am..........disturbed.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just plain preference. Both work.

MAYBE the 308 Win... IF it has a 1-12" twist, if you plan on serious cast bullet shooting.

Both are great. Pick one and just shoot it.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I hate 270’s.

I love short actions.

But, Brad’s right. The 270 150 will out-penetrate the 308 150 in bigger big game. For thin skinned Whitetail’s, swing with who swung ya, dance with who brung ya.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

Riddle me this. Why does the bullet from a CCI CB Short penetrate more than that of a .22 LR when applied to the same anatomical region on hogs?

I'm wondering where 150 Partitions are the basis for a point on "conventional" bullets?

S.D. often falls to pieces about the time the bullet falls to pieces; my money is on a 30/30's ability to dig if we're talking 150 cup and core spitzers....or the Krag.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Newton's Third Law.
Look here for more on Newton.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
592 members (160user, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.