Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 86 of 117 1 2 84 85 86 87 88 116 117
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Ringman

Your blind faith is what is the problem. You are rejecting reality.

Brush up on the nature and meaning of the word ''Irony'' haha, while you are at it, do some reading on evolution that doesn't come from creation sites

Up until the age of twenty-five I was an atheistic evolutionist. That was the only kind of material I read. One day a friend showed me something from a different scientist which refuted my guy. The difference was the different scientist had the facts. It was so devastating to me I consulted a psychiatrist. Eventually I got back to reading and read some creationist material. I couldn't fault their material.

Just the other day I watch a video by a guy with a Ph.D. He went to a creationist lecture to show him the error of his ways. The problem was the creationist had the scientific facts on his side. Something similar happens every time an evolutionist challenges a creationist. I have a friend who debates evolutionists. The last debate I know of his opponent, a biologist with a Ph.D,, said, "There's nothing I can say to refute Dr. Kindell."

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

You are still smoking dope. It was not rejected until the 1950's when they did a (I think) chlorine test. It was then someone started taking a closer look. At that time they discovered there was about 1/2 a million years difference in age of skull and jaw bone.

Nope. They couldn't 100% prove it was fake till then, but they had concluded that it was almost certainly a fake within a year of its being proffered. Only the British Museum was slow to reject it, and that mainly due to national pride since it was "found" in England.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Re: evidence of floods.

I recently watched a Nova presentation on the floods over the Scablands of Wa State. It seems Lake Missoula in Montana filled and broke the ice dam and drained multiple times during previous ice ages. The waters raced across N Id and Wa State leaving a miles wide path of destruction behind.

Core samples from just off shore show the various sediment layers deposited by various floods.

We know the Salt Lake Basin was once filled with water. My understanding is that it drained down the Snake River cutting the Snake River Canyon in just a matter of days.

Hell's Canyon was once dammed at the top near Farewell Bend Or. There are stories of a volcanic eruption which blocked the canyon, and of course periodic ice dams must have occurred. Thus Lake Bonneville was formed which at different times covered SW Idaho, SE Oregon, most of Utah, and a big hunk of Nevada.

Lots and lots of regional floods. But no, nothing which inundated the entire Earth.

It is interesting to me that the Chinese have written histories which go back 6000 years. Ancient oriental art depicts orientals as always having oriental eyes. Interesting to know how they had those eyes before the flood, and how descendants of Noah who later resettled in the orient also came to have oriental eyes.

You missed the correct interpretation of the sediments from many floods. They are sediments from One Flood produced as the tides caused currants in the flooded world. The Chinese came into being after the Flood. They are descendants of one of Noah's kids.

Ringman, I'm sorry to break it to you, but you're spouting nonsense. 6-day genesis literalism (the idea the earth is only 6000 years old) is so thoroughly discredited that to continue to believe it the equivalent of believing the earth is flat.

Tarquin
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Thunderstick
Flood accounts do not equate to a worldwide deluge where even the mountains are submerged and an ark is needed to save a selection of people and animals in order to repopulate the earth......It did not happen, the story is impossible.

The story was probably embellished from a localized flood event/hero legend what a family saved their themselves and their livestock under difficult conditions, to the amazement of the surrounding tribes.

You are missing the whole point. Have you read these flood accounts? You claim Genesis is a borrow account and then you say the other accounts were simply local disasters. Well if Genesis was recorded as a worldwide flood that wiped out the whole race it certainly did not borrow from a local washout account. The other accounts are not recording local washouts either. Where did all these accounts come from all over the world? They could not have been borrowing all from each other unless they started with a single source about a singular worldwide event. Your contention is lacking the most basic logic.

Genesis is not an account of an actual world wide flood, it is a work of fiction....the ancients loved their stories, they loved a good yarn over the campfire. Stories got told and retold and embellished over time and retelling.

''Various archaeologists suggest there was a historical deluge between 5,000 and 7,000 years ago that hit lands ranging from the Black Sea to what many call the cradle of civilization, the flood plain between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers. The translation of ancient cuneiform tablets in the 19th century confirmed the Mesopotamian flood myth as an antecedent of the Noah story in the Bible. In an interview with the London Telegraph, Irving Finkel, a curator at the British Museum and author of the recent book The Ark Before Noah: Decoding the Story of the Flood, described one way the tradition may have emerged:

There must have been a heritage memory of the destructive power of flood water, based on various terrible floods. And the people who survived would have been people in boats. You can imagine someone sunbathing in a canoe, half asleep, and waking up however long later and they’re in the middle of the Persian Gulf, and that’s the beginning of the flood story.

Yet tales of the Flood spring from many sources. Myriad ancient cultures have their own legends of watery cataclysm and salvation. According to Vedic lore, a fish tells the mythic Indian king Manu of a flood that will wipe out humanity; Manu then builds a ship to withstand the epic rains and is later led to a mountaintop by the same fish. An Aztec story sees a devout couple hide in the hollow of a vast tree with two ears of corn as divine storms drown the wicked of the land. Creation myths from Egypt to Scandinavia involve tidal floods of all sorts of substances — including the blood of deities — purging and remaking the earth.''

You can continue in your chosen ignorance if you like. I read there are over 200 Flood legends from all over the world with a similar number of people and all the animals being saved by them. The stories generally have eight people.

Floods happen world wide, which does not mean that there was a single world drowning deluge. There is plenty of evidence for the former, nothing for the latter. Plus after the ice age, the most probable source of flood stories, people were living in small family units or tribes, hence if a group of people saved themselves from a local flood event, it was a family unit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ancient times the world was largely unexplored/unknown to the masses and what made up most peoples 'known world' was not
on a scale of understanding or perspective of the discovered world we know today.

When the Romans went to what we know as Great Britain, there were animal skin tribal folk there that didn't venture
beyond a few villages or hamlets beyond their own...the Roman system of trade, currency, roads and secure travel opened up
to them the Great Britain land mass and also the far greater [already long discovered and developed] parts of the world/globe.

Those who were not afraid to take advantage, discovered there was a much vaster world beyond the little one they knew.

but no doubt there were those content to stay in their narrow perspective comfort zone, 'village world' environment and mindset
and ignorant obsolete myths, folklores and superstitions of old.

Up until the age of twenty-five I was an atheistic evolutionist. That was the only kind of material I read. One day a friend showed
me something from a different scientist which refuted my guy. The difference was the different scientist had the facts. It was so
devastating to me I consulted a psychiatrist. Eventually I got back to reading and read some creationist material. I couldn't fault
their material.

what do psychiatrists say to people who believe in a whole bunch of ancient world myths?

I really don't understand why christians try to use scientific evidence to support their biblical beliefs,

considering the basis of religious FAITH rests in the idea that the content of faith is what cannot be proven.

What need is there for christians to have faith, or what value is there in faith,... if they already have proof?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I

You missed the correct interpretation of the sediments from many floods. They are sediments from One Flood produced as the tides caused currants in the flooded world. The Chinese came into being after the Flood. They are descendants of one of Noah's kids.

Just ONE???????????? grin

Lake Missoula is estimated to have held about half the water volume of Lake Michigan. During glacial periods an ice dam formed preventing outflow of the Clark Fork River near the Idaho/Montana border. Periodically (on an average of every 55 years) the ice dam would rupture and allow outflow of the entire lake. Most recently over a period of 2000 years, 15,000 to 13,000 years ago.

The oldest evidence of such a flood indicates it happened 1.5 million years ago.

Evidence strongly suggest there were at least 25 massive floods across Montana, Idaho, Washington, and down the Columbia River Gorge. Flow rates are estimated by various authorities as ten times to ninety times the flow of today's Amazon River, with maximum water velocities around 80 MPH.

The core samples previously mentioned show sedimentary layers deposited on the ocean floor from these various flood events with specific dating from each layer.

The "One Flood" would have destroyed all evidence of such paltry events, no?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
And the obvious question; how did the Kangaroos make their way from the Ark in the middle east to Australia where they settled?

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Once Noah got the Ark built how long did it take him to go to N.America,S,America,Australia,etc,etc and collect 2 of every animal. Then he had to have food for all of them and once the flood was over he had to get the animals back to their proper place. Did he have help from Santa ?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

You lot are wasting your time trying to talk sense to that prick.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Evolution is real! Didn't you see the alligator climbing the fence?

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've read that there is far more evidence to prove creation than evolution. Evolution was pushed by athiests, Marxists, and Communists for over 100 years. Get God out of society, and society can be controlled by the State. When they were first going to the moon, NASA scientists were afraid the lunar module would sink in 6' of dust since the moon was supposed to be about 3 billion year old. Didn't happen. Mutations happen, but not complete DNA changes. Life itself is so complicated in molecular structure that it is only present on earth. We haven't found any intelligent life on other planets, not radio or TV signals, etc. They are constantly looking for signs, nothing yet. Then like someone said, look at the Grand Canyon. If it was as old as they say, rain and wind would have rounded all the land around it into hills and sand. Every civilization, from ancient times mentions a great flood, China, India, Egypt, Sumaria, Greek.

Life was created.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Certain discoveries of science, throughout history, have posed challenges to the way Christianity has understood the world. That doesn't mean the science is satanic. Christian theologians, for example, used to believe that heliocentrism was a satanic plot, and the Church tried punishing scientists for spreading the idea. Finally, they had to relent, and then found that it wasn't nearly the obstacle to Christian faith that they had feared.

Same with evolution. It's not. It's only an obstacle to a sort of faith that's based solely on a childish reading of the Bible, one where God literally took some mud and molded it (presumably with his "hands") into the shape of a man, then blew on it to make Adam. That's what's called metaphor. It's not necessary to understand it literally in order to be a believing Christian. The Bible is full of metaphor. "Unless a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God" doesn't mean you have to reenter your mother's womb and come out again, for example. They are throughout the Old and New Testaments.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Certain discoveries of science, throughout history, have posed challenges to the way Christianity has understood the world. That doesn't mean the science is satanic. Christian theologians, for example, used to believe that heliocentrism was a satanic plot, and the Church tried punishing scientists for spreading the idea. Finally, they had to relent, and then found that it wasn't nearly the obstacle to Christian faith that they had feared.

Same with evolution. It's not. It's only an obstacle to a sort of faith that's based solely on a childish reading of the Bible, one where God literally took some mud and molded it (presumably with his "hands") into the shape of a man, then blew on it to make Adam. That's what's called metaphor. It's not necessary to understand it literally in order to be a believing Christian. The Bible is full of metaphor. "Unless a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God" doesn't mean you have to reenter your mother's womb and come out again, for example. They are throughout the Old and New Testaments.

Except that one was clearly intended to be a metaphor and the other wasn’t. Why believe anything if you don’t take what the Bible says on face value?

See Jesus wasn’t literally resurrected, it’s just a metaphor.

No, the sun didn’t stop while there was a battle, that’s just a metaphor.

No, Jesus wasn’t born of a virgin, that’s just a metaphor.

God, didn’t talk to Abraham, that is just a metaphor.

Even if you take Genesis metaphorically, that isn’t what you are doing. It is quite clear that God was involved at every step of creation. If that is a metaphor, it is a metaphor for a very hands on God who intelligently designed and directed creation as opposed to the one you espouse who stood back and watched it all happen without any intervention whatsoever.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I have no trouble distinguishing. Your mileage may vary.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J

Here is what you need to understand, if human beings are an evolutionary accident, then the entire Bible is a lie. The Bible says that God created us in his image. It says that he has a specific plan for us. It makes no allowances for any scenario where we were mere accidents. If you want to believe in evolution, then your only choice as a Christian is to believe in an evolution designed and directed by God himself. There is no room for what you seem to espouse.

Last edited by JoeBob; 08/21/19.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
I've read that there is far more evidence to prove creation than evolution. Evolution was pushed by athiests, Marxists, and Communists for over 100 years. Get God out of society, and society can be controlled by the State. When they were first going to the moon, NASA scientists were afraid the lunar module would sink in 6' of dust since the moon was supposed to be about 3 billion year old. Didn't happen. Mutations happen, but not complete DNA changes. Life itself is so complicated in molecular structure that it is only present on earth. We haven't found any intelligent life on other planets, not radio or TV signals, etc. They are constantly looking for signs, nothing yet. Then like someone said, look at the Grand Canyon. If it was as old as they say, rain and wind would have rounded all the land around it into hills and sand. Every civilization, from ancient times mentions a great flood, China, India, Egypt, Sumaria, Greek.

Life was created.

Where have you read that? On christian sites? with christian biases? Where is this evidence? How does it dispute the vast fossil record?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JoeBob

Here is what you need to understand, if human beings are an evolutionary accident, then the entire Bible is a lie.
Correct. It would be. That's not what I believe. As a pro bowler is capable of releasing the ball in such a way as to intend a strike, and, once released, be sure that he threw a strike. How much more so can God set the universe in motion in such a way as to be sure of all the outcomes that result, in accordance with his will.

The Bible says that God created us in his image.
This doesn't necessarily refer to our physicality, and almost certainly doesn't, since God, in his essence, is spirit. So it's reasonable that this verse refers to our resembling him in the sense that we are, in our essence, spirits, in a certain way, like God.
It says that he has a specific plan for us.
Yes.
It makes no allowances for any scenario where we were mere accidents.
Agreed, as explained above.
If you want to believe in evolution, then your only choice as a Christian is to believe in an evolution designed and directed by God himself.
I strongly disagree. The Bible says that God delegated the bringing forth of all the living creatures to the earth and the waters, i.e., the natural world that he created.
There is no room for what you seem to espouse.
I strongly disagree.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by scoony
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude

Life was created.

Where have you read that? On christian sites? with christian biases? Where is this evidence? How does it dispute the vast fossil record?

All the evidence supports evolution. The Bible creationists have nothing but faith. That is why it is called Faith.
Nothing wrong with that, but do not call it evidence when it is all Bible based faith.

Nobody knew how deep the moon dust would be until we stepped into it. No reason for it to be anything but what we found.
DNA changes have always evolved and are still evolving.
Claiming that life only exists on earth is stupid as the evidence for life in the universe mounts up. You are claiming a negative.
The age of the Grand Canyon is in the rocks for all to read who have honest eyes.
All those ancient flood accounts happened at different times and none them match with Noah's flood.

As I have said several times...it is too bad that the Bible authors did not have Hubble.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I want to note a few things concerning the flood:
2 Pet. 3:5 For they deliberately overlook this fact, that the heavens existed long ago, and the earth was formed out of water and through water by the word of God, 6 and that by means of these the world that then existed was deluged with water and perished.

The world that was destroyed by the flood was the world that then existed--meaning the Mesopotamian population center of that time and the original pre-flood topography. This is also an indication that the world was different pre-flood versus post flood.The flood affected the whole world as it then was. This verse also indicates that water from the earth and heavens were involved in the deluge--that by "these" (is a plural word).

There are indications in the scriptures that the flood was the starting catalyst for moving the earth into continents from the fountains of the deep opening up. In the original creation all the water was gathered into "one place" in distinction from one land mass.

And God said, “Let the waters under the sky be gathered into one place, so that the dry land may appear.” Here is the Pangaea.

During the flood it is said ... "on that day all the fountains of the great deep burst forth, and the windows of the heavens were opened." This is inferring there were topographical changes from the water pouring forth from below the earth. Not all the water came from above--in fact it suggests that the water already on the earth acted like a Tsunami and initiated the flood. This agrees with what Peter was explaining. This would have made massive topographical changes which we believe led to the subsequent ice age.

This also likely initiated the Pangaea breaking up so that after the re-population of the fracturing pangaeac earth, the peoples and animals were scattered across continents and then separated.

The division of the earth is also noted: the name of the one was Peleg (means division), for in his days the earth was divided,

It was common to name children according to notable signs of the time.

In summary the ark was populated and then repopulated in a world that was a Pangaea which then later divided as the frozen channels melted from the ice age and new and vastly changed topography emerged which included large masses of water now separating land. This breakup does not infer all tectonic plate shift thought that could have been part of it, but also the melting of the water and its gatherings would have created separations. This process would have produced a series of local floods and more topographical changes very rapidly. There is evidence of major flooding all over the world some of which were local and yet of epic proportions--but we believe these were precipitated by the one world wide flood of the world that then existed. The massive fossil record shows evidence of tremendous flooding and rapid fossilization and current non-native species scattered all over the world.

Obviously many folks won't believe this ... because this is what the Bible says or because they have a different view of science, but on the other hand I'm reading a lot of objections that indicate a lack of knowledge as to what all the Bible does say about the flood.

Last edited by Thunderstick; 08/21/19.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Correct. It would be. That's not what I believe. As a pro bowler is capable of releasing the ball in such a way as to intend a strike, and, once released, be sure that he threw a strike. How much more so can God set the universe in motion in such a way as to be sure of all the outcomes that result, in accordance with his will.

Then creation isn’t random, it’s designed. So why do you argue against intelligent design? If everything is set in motion by the intent of the creator, then it follows that nothing is random throughout. Unless you wish to argue that the position of the bowling ball halfway down the lane towards the pins is coincidence and not dependent upon the intent of the bowler.

Last edited by JoeBob; 08/21/19.
Page 86 of 117 1 2 84 85 86 87 88 116 117

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,298 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,243
Posts18,466,901
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.