Campfire Regular
L

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
"No grizzlies in Oregon". For the most part no elk either.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Have you ever thought the bear is following the elk hunter because he is in the woods. Grizzlies don't follow anyone or anything that isn't in the woods. I doubt the bear is thinking "If I follow this guy I can get a free meal" other than eating the hunter. If you tracked the same bears, I bet they would even follow a democrat through the woods, bears can't distinguish one person's reason for being in the woods over another's...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I read about a situation in MT just outside the park some years ago. 2 hunters were dragging a buck by the antlers when it hung up on something. When they turned to see what the problem was, there was a griz on the other end.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
@rickbin

Can we get a like button?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
[Linked Image]

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Have you ever thought the bear is following the elk hunter because he is in the woods. Grizzlies don't follow anyone or anything that isn't in the woods. I doubt the bear is thinking "If I follow this guy I can get a free meal" other than eating the hunter. If you tracked the same bears, I bet they would even follow a democrat through the woods, bears can't distinguish one person's reason for being in the woods over another's...

Bears are smart enough to identify a food source and seek it out.

LOL
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Bears definitely understand hunters, carcasses, and gut piles. Is this supposed to be some sort of news?

When hunting hoofed stuff in bear country carry a gun that will stop a bear. Not exactly rocket science...

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Bears definitely understand hunters, carcasses, and gut piles. Is this supposed to be some sort of news?

When hunting hoofed stuff in bear country carry a gun that will stop a bear. Not exactly rocket science...

but...but...but....they recommend bear spray!!!

Mathew 22: 37-39

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Hence my looking at a 300 wsm. Got a 308, and it is plenty for most things, but looking for a bit more thump in case I ever need it. Thought about building a 35 whelen or 358 wsm, but the 300 with heavies should handle the lower 48 fine, and is more versatile. Probably never have to worry about it, but no need to find out I should have, when I have a .243 with 95 bt's in hand...

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I think the 300WSM with 200gr Weldcores and the 325WSM with the 220s are uniquely suited when hunting elk in a place that has big bears. The .338 RCM is too, but there are almost no guns. I'd definitely look at it.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob

but...but...but....they recommend bear spray!!!

"They" being bears that like spicy food presumably laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I killed quite a few elk with a 300 WSM. It's an excellent elk caliber. After 7 or 8 years, I looked back at all the elk I'd shot and found that there wasn't a single one that I couldn't have got just as easily with a 30-06 that weighs a lb. less. At my age, that lb. adds up in a hurry so the 300 is gathering dust.
disclaimer - we don't have griz in this part of Idaho.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
wish they had spent some of that study money asking me and my hunting partners about this.
but i guess first hand encounters don't count unless you have a degree from a lib college.
when breaking down an elk or anything else for that matter we always have one person on sentry duty.
there are BEARS in them woods!
we have never lost any meat to bears but i did lose a whitetail to wolves.
a buddy over at upper Priest Lake lost a elk to a bear that followed him to or smelled the quarters he had stashed in his coolers in the back of his PU. when he came back from the second trip it was gone, with plenty of bear sign on the side of the PU.

Last edited by deerstalker; 08/21/19.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
There are some pretty light WSMs out there - in fact a WSM should be LIGHTER than a .30-06 all things being equal.

That said the power usually isn't needed but when you're trying to get a decent trajectory out of a 200+gr bullet so your elk and bear loads are the same, the case capacity is nice.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

Having Bears and Wolves and Lions, Oh My, is part of the attraction of some places. If you spend the day on an out and back trail w/ fresh snow on the ground you will usually find that interesting critters crossed or followed your track.Makes for a fun tingle in your 'taint.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf
Hence my looking at a 300 wsm. Got a 308, and it is plenty for most things, but looking for a bit more thump in case I ever need it. Thought about building a 35 whelen or 358 wsm, but the 300 with heavies should handle the lower 48 fine, and is more versatile. Probably never have to worry about it, but no need to find out I should have, when I have a .243 with 95 bt's in hand...

Just happen to have a 300 WSM Remington model 7 XCR if your interested don't think it's ever been shot

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Given their behavior, I would assert that a case can be made that these bears ARE Democrats.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Given their behavior, I would assert that a case can be made that these bears ARE Democrats.

laugh

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
In Shrapnels defense he probably didn't notice any bears following him because he runs elk down with his truck on the plains in Montana.

LOL
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

684 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 11point, 68 invisible), 2,897 guests, and 1,415 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,472
Posts18,451,759
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.