Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JimInAK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Would appreciate suggestions/recommendations for the best(most reliable-cost effective??) method to ship a medium size box of salmon to a friend in WI? Overnight or slightly longer? Just needs to be solid when it arrives.
Thanks,
Jim

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great question...

I have sent and received fish in USPS Flat-Rate boxes insulated with styrofoam.

Gr8fulDoug sent a box of frozen tuna with a center of fresh tuna and it arrived in wonderful shape. It was incredible!

I have sent stuff frozen in deliberate, perfectly-nesting pieces via USPS Priority and have never had a problem. I use styrofoam panels from various packing boxes and assemble them with spray foam to keep the whole thing as tight as possible.

In a large Flat Rate box I can get about 15 pounds of protein...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Great question...

Gr8fulDoug sent a box of frozen tuna with a center of fresh tuna and it arrived in wonderful shape. It was incredible!

I have sent stuff frozen in deliberate, perfectly-nesting pieces via USPS Priority and have never had a problem. I use styrofoam panels from various packing boxes and assemble them with spray foam to keep the whole thing as tight as possible.

i've done this also, only time i had a problem was when i sent leighton some hog backstraps, it was during dec. it showed up 2 weeks late and busted open. the smell was not pleasant.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Art has it dialed in, i'd add that you might want to ship it next day too.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

Next Day may be safer, but it is way more expensive. When Priority works it is worth every nickel...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like Art said , i to build my own boxes always finding new left over sheet foam, fill put the whole works in the frezzer, come monday mor'n close an seal than rite to the p office .

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Great question...

What is typical transit time via flat rate?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Next Day may be safer, but it is way more expensive. When Priority works it is worth every nickel...
I agree that PM works, I use it almost every week but overnight gets it there while it's still frozen, btdt to the east coast. Just another option for the OP.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Great question...

3-5 days, depending on destination.

Steelhead

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Might as well flat rate. "Overnight" is about the same in my experience. In time., but costs more.

Or maybe that was just out in the Bush.

No postal sevice at all some days recently here in Slowdotna. Fires had the road closed. THE road.

Last edited by las; 08/21/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great question...

3-5 days, depending on destination.

Generally faster IME and if it is a block and sealed airtight inside the styrofoam it is still frozen at the other end.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great question...

Most of the time the Flat Rate boxes get there within three days.

I like to build the box and freeze the last couple pieces to fit together exactly. I also run my freezer as cold as it will go, always and it runs at -25 or so.

JimInAK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the suggestion of using a Flat Rate box and the other pearls of knowledge I hadn't considered, such as using spray foam to seal and tighten it all up. I was planning on using a medium size fish box. I was also seriously considering 2nd day instead of overnight, since as las had noted overnight often becomes overnight(s) when shipping from AK. I had anticipated $120 give or take a Jackson to make it all happen. $19.95 for approximately half the volume is a bargain!

I will be playing a game of sockeye tetrus to pack it all in as tightly as possible and ship it on Monday to my buddies business address to improve the odds of success. I guess if it doesn't make it in good shape he can always use it for coyote or catfish bait.

I run my freezers at almost the coldest setting, -15 to -20. Slightly less "gooder" than -25 but also slightly less duty cycle on the freezer, which in theory should make it last longer.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JimInAK
Thanks for the suggestion of using a Flat Rate box and the other pearls of knowledge I hadn't considered, such as using spray foam to seal and tighten it all up. I was planning on using a medium size fish box. I was also seriously considering 2nd day instead of overnight, since as las had noted overnight often becomes overnight(s) when shipping from AK. I had anticipated $120 give or take a Jackson to make it all happen. $19.95 for approximately half the volume is a bargain!

I will be playing a game of sockeye tetrus to pack it all in as tightly as possible and ship it on Monday to my buddies business address to improve the odds of success. I guess if it doesn't make it in good shape he can always use it for coyote or catfish bait.

I run my freezers at almost the coldest setting, -15 to -20. Slightly less "gooder" than -25 but also slightly less duty cycle on the freezer, which in theory should make it last longer.

My freezer has been run at the coldest setting since its infancy in 1980. Tetrus works better if you cheat and use fresh packed stuff frozen in place between already frozen pieces. It conforms to the mold on each side. You can get some really dense packages that way.

Gel packs freeze at a lower temp but have high latent heat so they will keep the fish colder while they are thawing, instead of the fish. Because I have been happy with the results so far I have not bothered to use them, but in theory they would help.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
tetras sockeye, should I google?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
JimInAK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The comment about freezer duty cycle was a bit tongue in cheek, which often doesn't translate in text. ( I r an en,ga,neer) haha. It does seem that the older equipment was designed with a much longer life cycle. As a kid my parents had a refrigerator and freezer that had been my dad's grandparents. The chest freezer lasted 40+ years, and the refrigerator was still going strong many years later when they finally "upgraded".

After the past couple of years of poor salmon runs I hadn't really considered shipping anything off. If this works as suspected it will, I was thinking about pre-freezing blocks of fish packages to ship. The only concern I had was with the time it would take for the entire block to freeze. Alternating frozen with fresh is a good idea to expedite the freezing time. Thanks again!! Will definitely be on the radar for next year.

JimInAK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
rost495: "tetras sockeye, should I google?"

Manipulating to fit as tightly as possible...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JimInAK
The comment about freezer duty cycle was a bit tongue in cheek, which often doesn't translate in text. ( I r an en,ga,neer) haha. It does seem that the older equipment was designed with a much longer life cycle. As a kid my parents had a refrigerator and freezer that had been my dad's grandparents. The chest freezer lasted 40+ years, and the refrigerator was still going strong many years later when they finally "upgraded".

After the past couple of years of poor salmon runs I hadn't really considered shipping anything off. If this works as suspected it will, I was thinking about pre-freezing blocks of fish packages to ship. The only concern I had was with the time it would take for the entire block to freeze. Alternating frozen with fresh is a good idea to expedite the freezing time. Thanks again!! Will definitely be on the radar for next year.

Got me to thinking I might get me son to weld up a couple aluminum boxes just right to fit in a flat rate box after it is insulated. The fish would freeze quickly and could be added to over time and packaged and shipped when filled.

Hmmmmmmmm

JimInAK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hmmm, interesting idea. I was thinking of maybe freezing a medium flat rate box and nesting it inside a large. A custom Al box definitely has merit. I guess I better jump on that patent application!

JimInAK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
All joking aside, I would be willing to throw a few bucks your kids way if he would be interested in making a couple more Al boxes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
216 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257robertsimp, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 1,880 guests, and 857 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,793
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.