I find the sword-like 1917 bayonet - used on P14 and P17 Enfields, all AEF 12 gauge "trench guns," and Winchester 1897 and Model 12 World War II "trench guns" - to be much too long.

The better alternative is to identify a standard bayonet for for another rifle that fits the World War I-era bayonet mounts.

Internet searches for such a "better" alternative have so far been unsuccessful. I may have missed the solution. A solution may require only alight alteration of bayonet "xyz's" mount guard to have it fit the 1917 bayonet lug assembly. I do not have access to a bunch of different bayonets to verify either way - or to find out whether futzing with bayonet's mount will allow it to fit the 1917 lug assemblies. And Internet information consists of: "Yes, bayonet will fit a lug assembly" and "No, bayonet will not fit."

The inferior alternative is to cut off a reproduction bayonet's blade to length that is wanted, then use grinding wheel, with bucket of water to cool metal, and recreate blade's basic shape, albeit shorter.
"Why?" you might reasonably ask. I recently acquired a heat shield with bayonet lug for my Winchester 1897 shotgun. Having affixed the bayonet, the beautifully compact trench shotgun becomes as unwieldy as a Swiss Reisläufer's pike. I am more interested in "comfortable" than "period correct." Having typed that, yes, I will keep an authentic 1917 bayonet when I want the trench gun to be "period correct."
If you know of a shortened 1917 bayonet, or a different bayonet that fits a 1917 lug assembly, or have available a different bayonet that has been altered to fit 1917's lug assembly, please let me know.

If you can shorten a reproduction 1917 bayonet, or know someone who can do it, again, please let me know.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell