Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
If you can’t hit them where you need to with a rifle at room distances, you ain’t likely to hit them with a shotgun, either....for various reasons. Shotgun use in actual combat conditions is a different set of circumstances than shooting in your house, and having to worry about where the misses end up after the skipping lead balls don’t go where you thought they would. Shotguns are great for lots of defensive purposes. The advantages a bunch of lead balls flying down range can give you, can also be disadvantages in a home. As long as you can comprehend this, and use it accordingly, cool. I just don’t consider them the only answer or often the best answer, for my needs and concerns. Others don’t have any of my criteria to consider, or feel as confident in other options, and a shotgun may be their best pick.

GB1

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Triple ought is for the movies and deer hunters. Ought or #4 buck if you're serious about this.

I wasn't hunting deer in Vietnam. Don't think they even have deer. I damn sure I wasn't in any movie.

They do have deer, but not like ours; they're about the size of a chihuahua. Weird looking little things. Not much to eat, although I'm sure the natives do.
This has nothing to do with the discussion of course, your comment just made me remember the tiny deer we saw in different parts of south-east Asia.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Triple ought is for the movies and deer hunters. Ought or #4 buck if you're serious about this.

I wasn't hunting deer in Vietnam. Don't think they even have deer. I damn sure I wasn't in any movie.

There were indeed deer critters in Nam. They were tasty too. Sika deer as I recall.

[Linked Image]

The one we whacked and brought home to the messhall was not small. Ballpark 200#.

Last edited by DigitalDan; 08/20/19.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
The little deer I saw were something like this (not my pic, random Google image):

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never saw one of those... lot of the others up north. I understand they are extinct in Nam at present.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I understand they are extinct in Nam at present.

Too many mouse traps....

On a more serious note though you may well be right, I haven't researched it one way or another. I lived in various parts of s/e Asia for about 5 years as a kid, but haven't been back since the early 90's.

I recently learned about the "saber toothed deer" over there, which I think are in the more northern regions (China, Russia, etc). Those are wild; no antlers but they have fangs in the upper jaw that they can move or rectract. Sometimes they are referred to as "vampire deer".

Last edited by Yondering; 08/21/19.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A recurring topic, dealt with in some depth here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaR1EVybUgc. My first two shots out of a 14" barrel 12 ga. are 1 1/4 oz #6 Duck and Pheasant loads. Next three are #4 Buck. But that is only a backup. Remember that any load out of any shotgun, even with a cylinder bore, spreads no more than 1" per yard (ballpark), and that at across-the-living-room distance of 21 feet (7 yards) your pattern is only 7" wide. Lesson: you gain no more spread advantage from a shotgun indoors than shooting 6 rounds out of a revolver. Accuracy is still key. Last, even with the reduced down-the-line penetration, would you really want your infant lying in a crib on the other side of the wall, counting on those little #6 pellets not to make it through? Not me. First and foremost is mentally mapping your fields of fire from every likely shooting position in the house. A 9mm , or a 5.56, could end up 3 walls away in your daughter's bedroom. Shoot only where you know your fields of fire. My bedside gun is a Glock 17 with a Glock light . Finger on the button, whatever's in the center of the beam is a hit. Shoot only if you have identified the target (not your 17 year old son coming home late) and your field of fire is safe. If not, move until it is--or dont shoot.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Kinda the point I was trying to make earlier.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (007FJ, 1_deuce, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,659
Posts18,455,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.