Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lennie

Good story. I've read that website many times and they have a great catalogue of badasses.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Can someone illustrate how a Raven or a bear knows that the guy walking through the woods is a hunter and not just a hiker. They just aren't that discerning. They can no doubt find a gutpile, but to say they follow hunters specifically because they are hunting is ridiculous...

That’s a fair enough request, especially if you haven't experienced it and are skeptical. Don't know if this will convince anyone but me but here is an example:

Still hunting for elk in second growth and reprod, I came on fresh tracks and started to follow the single animal. Thick stuff. A raven flew over me, flew on ahead, made a tight circle over a spot, squawked and flew back to me. When it got to me it flew down closer and circled and squawked at me, looking at me intently, then flew back to the spot ahead, circled and squawked at whatever was below. I had followed the elk maybe 150 yards when the bird showed up, and I had heard the elk quietly moving 60-75 yards ahead of me.

I ignored the raven and tracked the elk precisely to where the bird had circled ahead of me. The raven kept it up, letting me know where the elk was and which direction it went if it changed direction. Tracks I followed confirmed where and what the raven was circling. I had hoped to catch the elk moving in a spot where I could see ahead but no such opportunities came up and soon it moved out faster and I gave up.

Have had the same thing happen with a raven and moose. It has never worked out for me to shoot anything pointed out by a raven but it was not due to the raven. The one that kept circling the elk acted increasingly annoyed at me, a subjective assessment of bird communication I admit. We may interpret these actions however we want. What happened is fact. Why the animal did what it did is conjecture.

As to how a raven may know the difference between hunters and hikers: hunters carry a weapon, go into terrain off trails that hikers virtually never travel, actively follow animals, may still smell like the last dead critter that got some blood on their boots, etc.

Last edited by Okanagan; 08/21/19. Reason: clarity
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ravens and the bears pay no mind to bright colors and spandex.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Ravens and the bears pay no mind to bright colors and spandex.

Maybe in Alaska, but down here they munch a bunch of those people and damn few hunters. You are more likely to get shot buy your hunting partner than killed by a griz...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

Have you ever thought the bear is following the elk hunter because he is in the woods. Grizzlies don't follow anyone or anything that isn't in the woods. I doubt the bear is thinking "If I follow this guy I can get a free meal" other than eating the hunter. If you tracked the same bears, I bet they would even follow a democrat through the woods, bears can't distinguish one person's reason for being in the woods over another's...

No way, Shrap. Dimocraps are full of, well, crap.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Okanagan

Can someone illustrate how a Raven or a bear knows that the guy walking through the woods is a hunter and not just a hiker. They just aren't that discerning. They can no doubt find a gutpile, but to say they follow hunters specifically because they are hunting is ridiculous...

That’s a fair enough request, especially if you haven't experienced it and are skeptical. Don't know if this will convince anyone but me but here is an example:

Still hunting for elk in second growth and reprod, I came on fresh tracks and started to follow the single animal. Thick stuff. A raven flew over me, flew on ahead, made a tight circle over a spot, squawked and flew back to me. When it got to me it flew down closer and circled and squawked at me, looking at me intently, then flew back to the spot ahead, circled and squawked at whatever was below. I had followed the elk maybe 150 yards when the bird showed up, and I had heard the elk quietly moving 60-75 yards ahead of me.

I ignored the raven and tracked the elk precisely to where the bird had circled ahead of me. The raven kept it up, letting me know where the elk was and which direction it went if it changed direction. Tracks I followed confirmed where and what the raven was circling. I had hoped to catch the elk moving in a spot where I could see ahead but no such opportunities came up and soon it moved out faster and I gave up.

Have had the same thing happen with a raven and moose. It has never worked out for me to shoot anything pointed out by a raven but it was not due to the raven. The one that kept circling the elk acted increasingly annoyed at me, a subjective assessment of bird communication I admit. We may interpret these actions however we want. What happened is fact. Why the animal did what it did is conjecture.

As to how a raven may know the difference between hunters and hikers: hunters carry a weapon, go into terrain off trails that hikers virtually never travel, actively follow animals, may still smell like the last dead critter that got some blood on their boots, etc.

We call the raven action doing that over game, dropping their pack! When they turn and drop to see what's moving! They also do it over anything they don't easily identity. Observe them from a distance might also help your coyote hunting!

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
There are some pretty light WSMs out there - in fact a WSM should be LIGHTER than a .30-06 all things being equal.

That said the power usually isn't needed but when you're trying to get a decent trajectory out of a 200+gr bullet so your elk and bear loads are the same, the case capacity is nice.

Yes, such as Kimbers. I'm wondering if he meant 300 Win mag.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Heym06

We call the raven action doing that over game, dropping their pack! When they turn and drop to see what's moving! They also do it over anything they don't easily identity. Observe them from a distance might also help your coyote hunting!

We call that “ calling the Air Force “. Get the ravens, magpies, and eagles over something, and they will come.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I think llama bob was talking about rifle weight, aka the 300wsm is a short action, the 30-06 a LA, so all else being equal, the 300 should weigh a bit less. Just how it hit me.

Last edited by OldGrayWolf; 08/21/19.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Have you ever thought the bear is following the elk hunter because he is in the woods. Grizzlies don't follow anyone or anything that isn't in the woods. I doubt the bear is thinking "If I follow this guy I can get a free meal" other than eating the hunter. If you tracked the same bears, I bet they would even follow a democrat through the woods, bears can't distinguish one person's reason for being in the woods over another's...

Not quite. Even sea lions know the difference between a fishing boat and non fishing boat. 😉

I cant fathom bears following elk hunters around for a 1 in 10 chance of getting meat.

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Oh, is it just a product of our civilized urban society that these things need reported on?

I've hardly met an animal of any sort that won't take advantage of a "free food" situation.

The scrub jays and piñon jays seem to know my red sweatshirt I wear in the morning when feeding the chickens and the wild birds. (peanuts appear to be the bird training equivalent of elk guts for bears) The dang collared doves are waiting on the electrical wires for me to come out. The quail come to my feeble attempts at calling them.

I've seen those really advanced smart critters called fish get excited and come to the head of ponds for their feed, not when the feed cart showed up, but when the feed cart got started in the garage 100' away..

When I did stream work in NorCal, we used to toss scraps of lunch meat from our sandwhiches into pools in the creek to see if there were any Pacific Giant Salamanders at home. There's no doubt in my mind that if we came back to a pool containing one every day, and every time we made a vibration by climbing up on it's rock, we could have trained a salamander brain (less advanced than the lizard brain I've heard shocked ) to realize there was a pattern there and it means food.

Why would anyone not believe a bear could figure this stuff out. What's it got to lose if it checks out a bugling "bull" to find out if the boys are gonna kill something today. Upside could be he'll be close to a herd of dinner even if there's not a hunter involved.

My friggen stupid chickens know the sound of the scratch rattling around in the cup I feed them from and follow me wherever I go with it. Why would one not think a bear with a much bigger brain couldn't realize, after a few events (or being taught by mom?) that the sound of a rifle shot means tasty intestines and maybe a liver (if some dumb hunter leaves it for them)?

Well, I guess someone had to have a study to do to justify the grant money they were getting?

Geno

And we wonder how its so easy for our schools to train brainiacs like djs and LeRoy.

Anyway, I'm betting those bears waste a lot of calories following hikers in the summer, or do they not follow those who they dont see carrying a rifle?

I bet they get a lot of exercise in grouse season.

Last edited by jaguartx; 08/21/19.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Not quite. Even sea lions know the difference between a fishing boat and non fishing boat. 😉

I cant fathom bears following elk hunters around for a 1 in 10 chance of getting meat.

If they are that smart, they sure as hell wouldn’t follow Furball2. Even a retarded bear knows Roy couldn’t find anything, let alone kill it...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by las
Bearanoia abounds....

Studies have shown Yellowstone bears leave the park when hunting season arrives. They do indeed understand seasonal food sources, and where they are found. If Ravens can figure out following a hunter can lead to food, so can bears

How does a deer or an elk know the difference? The manner they move, the gear hunters carry. It's not hard.

You really miss deflave don’t you...

We almost all miss Col Travis, Shrap. Can you say if hes OK?

I Dindo Nuffin
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Is he incarcerated?

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

Great story. Those suckers and squirrels always raise heck at me and scare the game away.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jag, Travis is fine.... he said he doesn't want to talk to you retards anymore.........
Kinda harsh if ya ask me..... but that's the deal..... smile

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
90 day rehab. Give it some time.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Lennie
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by las

It is not uncommon for bears to come to the sound of a gun shot on Kodiak and Afognak islands during deer season.

I put quite a bit of game down when I was in Kodiak and never experienced that. Nor did anyone else I know.

Talk to this guy

http://badassoftheweek.com/genemoe.html

Youse guys who brag about being able to butcher an elk with a pocket knife should read this. wink

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by SandBilly
90 day rehab. Give it some time.

Hahahaha.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I killed quite a few elk with a 300 WSM. It's an excellent elk caliber. After 7 or 8 years, I looked back at all the elk I'd shot and found that there wasn't a single one that I couldn't have got just as easily with a 30-06 that weighs a lb. less. At my age, that lb. adds up in a hurry so the 300 is gathering dust.
disclaimer - we don't have griz in this part of Idaho.

RC, are you referring to a 06 being a lb lighter than a WSM or a 300 Win Mag, please?

Last edited by jaguartx; 08/21/19.

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 53 invisible), 2,669 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,021
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.