Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
So...I've been wanting a rifle setup for still hunting/tracking bear/deer in the big woods of the Northeast.

I have setup a Kimber Montana 308 with a VX3i 2.5-8x36 for good weather days. I prefer a low power scope.

A few days a year I want something with a ghost ring/very open peep and a very visible quick on target and durable front sight.

I was looking to convert a Remington pump...or go-to a lever gun etc.

Duh you big dumbie. You have a 7600 in 35 Whelen. Take the scope off, put a peep on and have it cut down.

Now.....I just don't know what peep/ghost ring and what front sight I want.

Any recommendations that fit the above???

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
XS or Skinners are about as great as they come in my book.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
You can put one of those Low profile Williams receiver sights on, just unscrew the aperture, then put a "Green" Firesight Front on. "They" say that green is easier to see than red in the woods/and or snow. I myself, have always used a Williams receiver with a wide "Twilight " aperture and a 1/16" fine Gold bead front. Works like a charm "for me".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd go with one of the Skinners. Ask Andy to change out the standard aperture to the x-large. I'd go with one in "Black Gold" color option. Replace the front sight with one of the Skinner brass partridge sights or one of the Marble brass bead sights.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
You can put one of those Low profile Williams receiver sights on, just unscrew the aperture, then put a "Green" Firesight Front on. "They" say that green is easier to see than red in the woods/and or snow. I myself, have always used a Williams receiver with a wide "Twilight " aperture and a 1/16" fine Gold bead front. Works like a charm "for me".

Simple and good answer. I like the Williams guide peep on back and you can pick your style for front. The XS post is good, an ivory bead is time tested and the various fiber optics are also good ideas

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanx guys! Will look at those options.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
The Skinner peep is appealing because it won't require extra holes.

Wilson combat or XS is appealing because of the protective wings....not sure if that's a worthy feature or not...though seems like it could be wise...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Williams FP is rock solid & click adjustable. Required 2 holes on the side, that's it.

This was my second 760 set up like this. Barrel was cut to 20". Perfect handling and function. A fellow at work talked me out of it in a gun swap so now I have to do another. I have the Williams FP and 7600 30-06 already. Forget the lever gun. A 30-06 with pointy bullets is much more versatile.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by beretzs

Are they click adjustable?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by beretzs

Are they click adjustable?

They aren’t click adjustable. But they will move in a repeatable manner if that makes sense.

Semper Fi
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I'm just not a fan of the side mounts. Just a personal thing lol.

I think I will use my 35 whelen for the project. I may have to restock it. It has the Walnut monte carlo which puts my head a little higher than a straight comb stock would.

I may try the Skinner first. Just because it appears to use the scope mounting holes to secure it. I like that idea just in the event I'm not a fan of the peep...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You will need a straight comb stock. The MC is way too high for anything but scope use.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not sure you will find a better one than the Skinner. I run a Skinner Alaskan on my Marlin 1895 and it's a beauty. I'm looking to acquire a 7600 whelen myself and that will get a Skinner as well. Andy makes a great product.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Was thinking of doing the same thing to one of mine, which happens to be a 35W . Anybody know is the skinner a ghost ring or a peep? Or may be you can get either. Hard to tell from the info on the website, they look to all be peep sights. I want the ghost ring.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
, they look to all be peep sights. I want the ghost ring.

What's the difference?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
With a peep sight the rear sight opening is much smaller and you sight through the rear sight to the front sight.
With a ghost ring the rear sight opening is much bigger, you only look at the front sight. The rear sight basically "blurs" or is not seen (ghost) by the eye but the rear sight automatically centers the front sight in the "ghost" ring. It is an optical thing. Pretty cool actually, you really have to try one to see how it works.
As far as I know some peep sights have a removable center piece/aperture which would increase the size of the opening of the rear sight, maybe that's how these are.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanx Supercub. That's not really an issue...I wanna lighten the package anyways. Just gotta figure out what stock to go with. Light and quality and a good pad. The whelen hurts a little. Lol.

I looked at mine and definitely don't think the stock will work...I COULD shoot it. But not fast like I wanna.

Skinner makes a number of different ring inserts...from a small one for precision work to large ones that'll act as a ghost ring.

Lots of guys take the ring out of standard peeps...now they make "ghost rings" which is essentially a large peep with no inner ring.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
With a peep sight the rear sight opening is much smaller and you sight through the rear sight to the front sight.
With a ghost ring the rear sight opening is much bigger, you only look at the front sight. The rear sight basically "blurs" or is not seen (ghost) by the eye but the rear sight automatically centers the front sight in the "ghost" ring. It is an optical thing. Pretty cool actually, you really have to try one to see how it works.
As far as I know some peep sights have a removable center piece/aperture which would increase the size of the opening of the rear sight, maybe that's how these are.

They sound about the same in function. With a receiver sight, most shooters use the insert to sight it in and then remove the aperture for the larger rear sight picture. I've only ever just used the front sight for shooting, just looking through the rear as it blurs.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Gotcha. For any fast shooting the ghost ring setup for me is much faster vs the peep.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
As much as I want to go with the Skinner express, now I'm worried it's too far forward on the receiver. I think it'd be difficult to use with it being in the center of the receiver....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

630 members (12344mag, 160user, 19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 219DW, 16penny, 64 invisible), 2,048 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,239
Posts18,447,871
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.