O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Slavery: What They Didn't Teach in My High School
Larry Elder · Jul. 12, 2018

A man I have known since grade school changed his name, years ago, to an Arabic one. He told me he rejected Christianity as “the white man’s religion that justified slavery.” He argued Africans taken out of that continent were owed reparations. “From whom?” I asked.

Arab slavers took more Africans out of Africa and transported them to the Middle East and to South America than European slavers took out of Africa and brought to North America. Arab slavers began taking slaves out of Africa beginning in the ninth century — centuries before the European slave trade — and continued well after.

In Prisons & Slavery, John Dewar Gleissner writes: “The Arabs’ treatment of black Africans can aptly be termed an African Holocaust. Arabs killed more Africans in transit, especially when crossing the Sahara Desert, than Europeans and Americans, and over more centuries, both before and after the years of the Atlantic slave trade. Arab Muslims began extracting millions of black African slaves centuries before Christian nations did. Arab slave traders removed slaves from Africa for about 13 centuries, compared to three centuries of the Atlantic slave trade. African slaves transported by Arabs across the Sahara Desert died more often than slaves making the Middle Passage to the New World by ship. Slaves invariably died within five years if they worked in the Ottoman Empire’s Sahara salt mines.”

My name-changing friend did not know that slavery occurred on every continent except Antarctica. Europeans enslaved other Europeans. Asians enslaved Asians. Africans enslaved other Africans. Arabs enslaved other Arabs. Native Americans even enslaved other Native Americans.

He accused me of “relying on white historians” who, he insisted, had a “vested interest to lie.”

What about Thomas Sowell, the brilliant economist/historian/philosopher who happens to be black? Sowell writes: “Of all the tragic facts about the history of slavery, the most astonishing to an American today is that, although slavery was a worldwide institution for thousands of years, nowhere in the world was slavery a controversial issue prior to the 18th century.

"People of every race and color were enslaved — and enslaved others. White people were still being bought and sold as slaves in the Ottoman Empire, decades after American blacks were freed.”

Sowell also wrote: “The region of West Africa … was one of the great slave-trading regions of the continent — before, during, and after the white man arrived. It was the Africans who enslaved their fellow Africans, selling some of these slaves to Europeans or to Arabs and keeping others for themselves. Even at the peak of the Atlantic slave trade, Africans retained more slaves for themselves than they sent to the Western Hemisphere. … Arabs were the leading slave raiders in East Africa, ranging over an area larger than all of Europe.”

I asked my friend if his anger over slavery extended to countries like Brazil. “Brazil?” he said.

Harvard’s Department of African and African American Studies professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. — who also happens to be black — wrote: “Between 1525 and 1866, in the entire history of the slave trade to the New World, according to the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade Database, 12.5 million Africans were shipped to the New World. 10.7 million survived the dreaded Middle Passage, disembarking in North America, the Caribbean and South America. And how many of these 10.7 million Africans were shipped directly to North America? Only about 388,000. That’s right: a tiny percentage. In fact, the overwhelming percentage of the African slaves were shipped directly to the Caribbean and South America; Brazil received 4.86 million Africans alone!”

African tribes who captured other tribes sold them into slavery. For this reason, in 2006, Ghana offered an official apology. Emmanuel Hagan, director of research and statistics at Ghana’s Ministry of Tourism and Diaspora Relations, explains: “The reason why we wanted to do some formal thing is that we want — even if it’s just for the surface of it, for the cosmetic of it — to be seen to be saying ‘sorry’ to those who feel very strongly and who we believe have distorted history, because they get the impression that it was people here who just took them and sold them. It’s something we have to look straight in the face and try to address, because it exists. So we will want to say something went wrong. People made mistakes, but we are sorry for whatever happened.”

Over 600,000 Americans, in a country with less than 10% of today’s population, died in the Civil War that ended slavery. “While slavery was common to all civilizations,” writes Sowell, “… only one civilization developed a moral revulsion against it, very late in its history — Western civilization. … Not even the leading moralists in other civilizations rejected slavery at all.”

And, no, after all this, my friend did not reconsider his name change.

COPYRIGHT 2018 LAURENCE A. ELDER

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Larry Elder needs to pick his friends better. Not only was his “friend” irretrievably stupid, the individual was no friend, as he spewed his hatred for all things white every time he opened his mouth. Those who do not know their history are likely to repeat it. A dark wind blows this way, and barring a miracle, all the haters are gonna get what they want, and it is going to kill them. Silence is not always fear or weakness. But that is a lesson yet to be learned by those who plot the demise of the white man.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One main trick of the Arabs was to deal with a village headman, paying him to sell his 'undesirables'.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
You can't reason with a rabid Leftist.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The first slaves sold in North America were Irish that were sold by the English.

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Slavery: What They Didn't Teach in My High School
Larry Elder · Jul. 12, 2018

A man I have known since grade school changed his name, years ago, to an Arabic one. He told me he rejected Christianity as “the white man’s religion that justified slavery.” He argued Africans taken out of that continent were owed reparations. “From whom?” I asked.

Arab slavers took more Africans out of Africa and transported them to the Middle East and to South America than European slavers took out of Africa and brought to North America. Arab slavers began taking slaves out of Africa beginning in the ninth century — centuries before the European slave trade — and continued well after.

In Prisons & Slavery, John Dewar Gleissner writes: “The Arabs’ treatment of black Africans can aptly be termed an African Holocaust. Arabs killed more Africans in transit, especially when crossing the Sahara Desert, than Europeans and Americans, and over more centuries, both before and after the years of the Atlantic slave trade. Arab Muslims began extracting millions of black African slaves centuries before Christian nations did. Arab slave traders removed slaves from Africa for about 13 centuries, compared to three centuries of the Atlantic slave trade. African slaves transported by Arabs across the Sahara Desert died more often than slaves making the Middle Passage to the New World by ship. Slaves invariably died within five years if they worked in the Ottoman Empire’s Sahara salt mines.”

My name-changing friend did not know that slavery occurred on every continent except Antarctica. Europeans enslaved other Europeans. Asians enslaved Asians. Africans enslaved other Africans. Arabs enslaved other Arabs. Native Americans even enslaved other Native Americans.

He accused me of “relying on white historians” who, he insisted, had a “vested interest to lie.”

What about Thomas Sowell, the brilliant economist/historian/philosopher who happens to be black? Sowell writes: “Of all the tragic facts about the history of slavery, the most astonishing to an American today is that, although slavery was a worldwide institution for thousands of years, nowhere in the world was slavery a controversial issue prior to the 18th century.

"People of every race and color were enslaved — and enslaved others. White people were still being bought and sold as slaves in the Ottoman Empire, decades after American blacks were freed.”

Sowell also wrote: “The region of West Africa … was one of the great slave-trading regions of the continent — before, during, and after the white man arrived. It was the Africans who enslaved their fellow Africans, selling some of these slaves to Europeans or to Arabs and keeping others for themselves. Even at the peak of the Atlantic slave trade, Africans retained more slaves for themselves than they sent to the Western Hemisphere. … Arabs were the leading slave raiders in East Africa, ranging over an area larger than all of Europe.”

I asked my friend if his anger over slavery extended to countries like Brazil. “Brazil?” he said.

Harvard’s Department of African and African American Studies professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. — who also happens to be black — wrote: “Between 1525 and 1866, in the entire history of the slave trade to the New World, according to the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade Database, 12.5 million Africans were shipped to the New World. 10.7 million survived the dreaded Middle Passage, disembarking in North America, the Caribbean and South America. And how many of these 10.7 million Africans were shipped directly to North America? Only about 388,000. That’s right: a tiny percentage. In fact, the overwhelming percentage of the African slaves were shipped directly to the Caribbean and South America; Brazil received 4.86 million Africans alone!”

African tribes who captured other tribes sold them into slavery. For this reason, in 2006, Ghana offered an official apology. Emmanuel Hagan, director of research and statistics at Ghana’s Ministry of Tourism and Diaspora Relations, explains: “The reason why we wanted to do some formal thing is that we want — even if it’s just for the surface of it, for the cosmetic of it — to be seen to be saying ‘sorry’ to those who feel very strongly and who we believe have distorted history, because they get the impression that it was people here who just took them and sold them. It’s something we have to look straight in the face and try to address, because it exists. So we will want to say something went wrong. People made mistakes, but we are sorry for whatever happened.”

Over 600,000 Americans, in a country with less than 10% of today’s population, died in the Civil War that ended slavery. “While slavery was common to all civilizations,” writes Sowell, “… only one civilization developed a moral revulsion against it, very late in its history — Western civilization. … Not even the leading moralists in other civilizations rejected slavery at all.”

And, no, after all this, my friend did not reconsider his name change.

COPYRIGHT 2018 LAURENCE A. ELDER

I like Larry Elders and this is a great piece to combat the current state of victim-hood in our country today!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Pluck him and the camels he wants to ride.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Merica , got its education on slavery from the 1977 mini-series Roots , quick glance online shows director marvin chomsky ashkenazi jew , film produced at warner bros. studio - jack warner -jew . Didn't the Roots movie pretty much lead all who watched - to believe that it was white people who were the slave owners oppressors of blacks . . . .

No doubt the follow up of Roots and the decade ago remake roots movie have the same people [you know who] planting the seeds of whitey is bad - down with the white man.
Carry on and sorry to all the members who hate seeing things like this pointed out . smile

Last edited by ol_mike; 08/21/19.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Merica , got its education on slavery from the 1977 mini-series Roots , quick glance online shows director marvin chomsky ashkenazt jew , film produced at warner bros. studio - jack warner -jew . Didn't the Roots movie pretty much lead all who watched - to believe that it was white people who were the slave owners oppressors of blacks . . . .

No doubt the follow up of Roots and the decade ago remake roots movie have the same people [you know who] planting the seeds of whitey is bad - down with the white man.
Carry on and sorry to all the members who hate seeing things like this pointed out . smile

Jews completely ran the slave trade. Look it up gents.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Dumb darkies aren't capable of actually learning the history of "their oppression". Including where that word "slave" came from. Send them all back. Even 2nd Amendment Guy you all were drooling over.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Read Skeletons on the Zahara by Dean King then come talk to me about reparations.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It ain't about slavery.......never has been, it's about the Blacks perception, which happens to be correct, that they are inferior to Whites, and need to do something to make the White man pay.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This is a great thread.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
All muslims practice Taqiyya. "Taqiyya is an Islamic juridical term whose shifting meaning relates to when a Muslim is allowed, under Sharia law, to lie." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taqiya

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Larry's friend is a racist. Very likely a black racist. Also, stupid.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Merica , got its education on slavery from the 1977 mini-series Roots , quick glance online shows director marvin chomsky ashkenazt jew , film produced at warner bros. studio - jack warner -jew . Didn't the Roots movie pretty much lead all who watched - to believe that it was white people who were the slave owners oppressors of blacks . . . .

Jews completely ran the slave trade. Look it up gents.

I did: You have been duped by Louis Farrakhan and the Nation of Islam. Lies of the Devil.

The Secret Relationship alleges that Jews were over-represented in the slave trade, but it goes about doing so in a funny way. For the author, the fact that Jews participated at all is tantamount to proof that without Jewish money and Jewish traders, the entire industry would have collapsed. For example, the book’s anonymous author cites the fact that in 1774, the Jews of Jamaica owned 310 slaves, which, horrific as it is, is only 4 percent of the total slave population in Jamaica at that time (7,424). A grand total of 12 Jews owned plantations, and yet this doesn’t stop the author from concluding that Jews dominated the trade.

Faber found during his more recent scholarly research with British Naval Office records that in 18th-century Britain, Jews actually were not heavily invested in the trading part of the slave trade. “Overwhelmingly,” Faber said, “Jewish merchants and shippers were not involved at all; they represent a minuscule portion of owners of ships.” While Jews did own slaves, he found, “their ownership was directly proportionate to their numbers.” Both were about 18 percent. The two companies with slaving ventures had small numbers of Jews among their owners: The Royal Africa Company had none until 1712, and the South Sea Company always had a handful of Jews, though interestingly, “those Jews were more likely than non-Jews to invest heavily,” Faber says.

“The numbers just aren’t there to support the view,” said Faber. “Jews were involved, but to an insignificant degree. That doesn’t absolve them of that guilt, but everyone made money off African slaves: Arabs, Europeans, Africans,” he said.

https://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-arts-and-culture/books/137476/slave-trade-black-muslim

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never let facts stand in the way of emotion.

Urban dwellers are the worst at this, no matter race or gender.

I.e. The Brown guy in Ferguson

The Trayvon Martin case

Both horrible examples to hang your hat on, as they both put themselves in danger by their thug actions

In my limited, but certainly more extensive than my mother would have ever wished experience with LEO, you have to let them control the situation when they arrive on scene, regardless of the rage going on inside you as it severely lessens the chance you’ll be sprayed, tased or shot. Actually in my day sub clubbed for tased 🤷🏻‍♂️

Young black men and too often women as a generalization don’t give LEO the same respect or deferment of power that whites generally do. Maybe LEO can chime in on this and let me know if I’m full of chit based on my limited experiences 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’ve little doubt that when LEO arrives on scene and you don’t follow their orders and allow them to take charge f the situation, you’re apt to be more likely to get sprayed tased or shot.

I put most of the blame on fatherless households. LBJ May have them votin for his party, but he did way more to harm the black community imo than he ever did to help them.

Last edited by 2legit2quit; 08/22/19.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
No telling how many slaves went down on boats while being transported across the Mediterranean hundreds and thousands of years before America was founded.

We were told bits about the Saharan slave trade in elementary schools. The liebs my age were just too stupid to remember it.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You see, reading this thread in particular, and quite a few others on this site, is exactly why conservatives need to be silenced!
I've got my core beliefs that make me happy and everything is fine. And then some jerkwadd guy comes along with facts that prove my beliefs are all wrong. Now I'm confused and angry.
Ignorance is bliss, and anything interfering in my ignorance/bliss should be considered hate speech and silenced!
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A young black man once said to me "Slavery was started by white people". I asked him if he had ever read the Bible? His response - Yes.
I asked; were there slaves in the Bible? Yes. Well, there aren't any white people in the Bible.

The truth is white people did not start slavery - They ended it. And in America they killed one another to do it.

Truth is truth whether you choose to believe it or not.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

463 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 56 invisible), 2,915 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,558
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.