Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by Judman
Copy that, think it was $10,000 or so for the flight... Had a great\easy hunt... I'll postpaid tomorrow if anyone is interested... Guess it was like stupid easy...

Killed some nice bulls
[Linked Image]upload pictures anonymously

and thats the exact type of thing that can ruin a whole area for a time period, the game is not able to handle that pressure. Fly a few folks in, they hike around, know they have to pack it back to the tiny strip etc...

Ruined a NCIE area in 25 I think it was... used to know the number I applied for every fall to draw... but someone with cash flew a few similar loads in and buddy has not seen a plus 50 in a few years now.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
The old Jack O'Conner thing. Write up "what a great area" then 5 years later bitch about how it had been ruined....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
exactly how delta area got ruined. Some idiot in the ANC paper.... thanks dude. But in this day and age, its going to happen.

My sister in law is worlds worst about asking where.... go find a place for yourself. Do the work. The footwork etc...

And as much help as ATVs are, I have a few rules in my mind that would make me much happier. But thats trying to legislate common sense. And I"m not saying I have a lick of that but that others seem to have less.... and then for the younger folks like ourselves at 54 and younger, a bit of leg work aint' going to hurt, and might even help with health overall and the pleasant experience of manual labor and peace and quiet.

OTOH I get the folks doing this just for a meat run, in and done. Not sure how you mix the two really.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Agreed....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
I think most of those heavy into expensive equipment are into toys and have them no matter what. "Hunting" with them is a bonus. I suspect those boys in their 20's and 30's I met are as much into tearing up the countryside all summer long on their ATVs as they are during hunting season.

My 4 loads of backpacked caribou off the mounain sure seemed heavier than 25# .......each...... My wife's 4 loads were not in that weight class either, being only a few lbs lighter than mine. Someone must not be salvaging all the meat? True, I brought out the legbones and, against my wishes, the antlers. Now antler is useless weight for the most part! Of the 75 or so caribou I have taken over the years, not one produced only 25# of meat. But then, I don't shoot 3 month old calves, which would undoubtedly be top-notch eating.

Actually, going in with low expectations, I told my wife if the first caribou we had a chance at were a cow and calf, we would take both and call it good. That quickly changed!

As for rutted up caribou, just don't shoot bulls - especially big bulls - in late September thru about Nov 10. Problem solved. August caribou thru mid September, properly taken care of, are excellent eating. Those after the rut are edible, but not nearly so good - which is why Eskimos shoot cows all winter long, for the most part.

Sure it's a zoo up there, but where I was, it was very well self-regulated it seemed. We'll likely do it again if the critters are there. With ATV. 50 years of backpacking meat out of the hills is enough. I bet at 71 I was the oldest one up there, and my wife probably the 2nd. Two of maybe 6 walk-ins.... We still have it!

Looking to get rid of it......... smile

Costs? Diesel money RT Soldotna to Steese was under $300, for a couple hundred pounds of now processed excellent meat. And a nice trip - what does one get from a "vacation" ?- except bills. Big bills. So if it better bobs your cork, just consider it a cheap 5 day vacation for two (the dogs needed the outing) with a bonus of high quality meat and a little needed exercise.

A bit more money for vacuum bags, and that's it. I already had the equipment, including the 4 wheeler that we didn't take along this time.... but will next time if any. No hunt expense there, except perhaps amortised over years and trips.

Try buying beef for $2/lb!

Not to say that's what those other folks are doing on this "hunt".

But it was a damned good slaughter.! smile

I'm sure if you struck out we would of never heard/read about it. Been $300 down the tubes.. we went the opposite direction towards boundary, we knew only pockets of caribou. It was worth a shot to avoid the chit show on the Steese. I was into this trip about $400..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I don’t expect it to be a popular position - and not specific to the 40 mile heard - but I would like to see more non motorized areas in the state. The amount of traffic/trails/impact in many of the motorized areas, as rost alluded to, is disheartening ...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
I don’t expect it to be a popular position - and not specific to the 40 mile heard - but I would like to see more non motorized areas in the state. The amount of traffic/trails/impact in many of the motorized areas, as rost alluded to, is disheartening ...

That will only make other areas more crowded. ADF&G have long held they should not do things that move people around beyond tightening regs in harder-hit areas.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

That will only make other areas more crowded. ADF&G have long held they should not do things that move people around beyond tightening regs in harder-hit areas.

Hmm, then the folks that like to drive around looking at each other HOPING for a dumb moose, can all congregate in the same area. And leave at least a few for peace and quiet. CO does well with wilderness areas like that. Lets each group have their area so to speak. But its only an opinion.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
actually if they would just stick to marked trails I'd be happy. Exempt disabled or over X years old. Good with that. Recovery of game? How about 10 am to 3pm or so and a direct route?

I mean driving over trees and brush in a mule looking for a bull to stand still. I guess it happens. But I've also seen folks drive in with a 4 wheeler to get off and sit, where it took us MAYBE a 15 minute walk? To get there before they did. I mean if you are that lazy, hunting moose would be easier down the main trails and just hope. The further someone pushes a new trail, the further folks go, to try to tie to other trails. Eventually its like a checker board thats nuts.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rost495
The further someone pushes a new trail, the further folks go, to try to tie to other trails. Eventually its like a checker board thats nuts.

Pretty much describes a bunch of the the area south of the Denali Highway ... and also to the north of the Glenn!

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Same ADF&G that manages the Kenai kings? Keeps extending the escapement count dates and dropping the escapement goals and won’t make the minimum this year; yet kept the river open to catch and kill all July? I’ll take their long held position with a grain of salt - I suspect you do as well. wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Same ADF&G that manages the Kenai kings? Keeps extending the escapement count dates and dropping the escapement goals and won’t make the minimum this year; yet kept the river open to catch and kill all July? I’ll take their long held position with a grain of salt - I suspect you do as well. wink

Long held and honored are absolutely two different things... wink

There actually is a huge difference between salmon and mammal management. The commercial component in fishing has all of the marbles... not so much in hunting.

Get me started on kings and I spin up tight and fast. I still want to see that board controlling mosquitos... inside a generation they would be gone!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
^

Oh, I know. Just poorly illustrating a point. grin

TFF on the mosquitoes ... and sadly, damn true!

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
actually if they would just stick to marked trails I'd be happy. Exempt disabled or over X years old. Good with that. Recovery of game? How about 10 am to 3pm or so and a direct route?

I mean driving over trees and brush in a mule looking for a bull to stand still. I guess it happens. But I've also seen folks drive in with a 4 wheeler to get off and sit, where it took us MAYBE a 15 minute walk? To get there before they did. I mean if you are that lazy, hunting moose would be easier down the main trails and just hope. The further someone pushes a new trail, the further folks go, to try to tie to other trails. Eventually its like a checker board thats nuts.

I hunt/well used to hunt in the alphabets.. clear over by keg lake.. you know how far that is from the Denali hwy? Last yr I hunted over by the savage river and the Teklanika you know how far that is from the parks hwy? Point being know one is walking that far and packing out a moose..

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Perhaps a non motorized buffer zone similar to the Haul Rd.? Even 2-3 miles would be good. I first hunted caribou (unsuccessfully,on foot) in zone 483 (east end of the Denali Hwy before combining into the single zone 485). Critters were mostly west in the Alphabets, but the few that were around were pushed way back away from the road. I have since purchased an ATV, but would enjoy the opportunity to pursue game on foot from a reasonable range.

Last edited by JimInAK; 08/22/19.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by las
I think most of those heavy into expensive equipment are into toys and have them no matter what. "Hunting" with them is a bonus. I suspect those boys in their 20's and 30's I met are as much into tearing up the countryside all summer long on their ATVs as they are during hunting season.

My 4 loads of backpacked caribou off the mountain sure seemed heavier than 25# .......each...... My wife's 4 loads were not in that weight class either, being only a few lbs lighter than mine. Someone must not be salvaging all the meat? True, I brought out the leg-bones and, against my wishes, the antlers. Now antler is useless weight for the most part! Of the 75 or so caribou I have taken over the years, not one produced only 25# of meat. But then, I don't shoot 3 month old calves, which would undoubtedly be top-notch eating.

Actually, going in with low expectations, I told my wife if the first caribou we had a chance at were a cow and calf, we would take both and call it good. That quickly changed!

As for rutted up caribou, just don't shoot bulls - especially big bulls - in late September thru about Nov 10. Problem solved. August caribou thru mid September, properly taken care of, are excellent eating. Those after the rut are edible, but not nearly so good - which is why Eskimos shoot cows all winter long, for the most part.

Sure it's a zoo up there, but where I was, it was very well self-regulated it seemed. We'll likely do it again if the critters are there. With ATV. 50 years of backpacking meat out of the hills is enough. I bet at 71 I was the oldest one up there, and my wife probably the 2nd. Two of maybe 6 walk-ins.... We still have it!

Looking to get rid of it......... smile

Costs? Diesel money RT Soldotna to Steese was under $300, for a couple hundred pounds of now processed excellent meat. And a nice trip - what does one get from a "vacation" ?- except bills. Big bills. So if it better bobs your cork, just consider it a cheap 5 day vacation for two (the dogs needed the outing) with a bonus of high quality meat and a little needed exercise.

A bit more money for vacuum bags, and that's it. I already had the equipment, including the 4 wheeler that we didn't take along this time.... but will next time if any. No hunt expense there, except perhaps amortized over years and trips.

Try buying beef for $2/lb!

Not to say that's what those other folks are doing on this "hunt".

But it was a damned good slaughter.! smile

I'm sure if you struck out we would of never heard/read about it. Been $300 down the tubes.. we went the opposite direction towards boundary, we knew only pockets of caribou. It was worth a shot to avoid the chit show on the Steese. I was into this trip about $400..

Oh, you would have heard bout it..... have you checked my position on GMU23 "pregnant cows only season" , when we were in Kotz?

If there is one thing I am, it's verbose..... and opinionated.

Put a positive spin on it, 79 - It was us and just 5,000 of our closest associates up there. smile

Day two - 80% or better were gone, on my ridge anyway. There was myself and my wife, two guys on one ATV in the morning, who disappeared, going God knows where, not back when we left in pm, one walk-in in the am that we never saw again, a party of 6 on two Rangers who filled their remaining tag with a cow as we got to them, , and two (one with son) in the late afternoon, who put a cap on our hunt.

While we were at the camper after our first trip down with my wife's caribou, these two guys, with a 7 year old son pulled into the pullout and asked if we minded if they parked there. Polite and diffident! Skipping a bunch of info, turned out the father was a 30 something MP in FBKs born and raised in Alaska, but had never killed a big game animal. He was a bit gimped up with shoulder and foot problems, but his best buddy was along as support. And packer if it came to that. My impression was that neither knew crap about hunting...

We explained what we knew about "our" ridge, that it was a good mile up to alpine, and that their plan to hike up a half mile or so looking for caribou wasn't likely to be successful with 20 yard visibility, despite fresh caribou tracks in the ATV trail when we came down. (We saw one on our way up, later, but no chance for a shot...) As we left for our second trip up the ridge to get the rest of Cheryl's caribou, they were right behind us, carrying only a rifle. I advised them to carry their pack frames as well- light going up, even lighter coming down if unsuccessful, but a real bitch to have to go back and fetch if they made a kill. (Turned out later they only had one pack-frame between them). They turned back to get it, while we went ahead.

We had relayed half the caribou down to timberline from C's kill site, but I'd forgotten to cut out the jawbone, so had to go back and get that, along with the liver, and tongue, for a neighbor who eats guts.... smile. OK- I ate liver the first two nights home as well. I like it fresh, but not after it is frozen, and a couple times a year is plenty. With onions , biquuits from scratch, and gravy of course. Also the only time i will eat the latter...

Cheryl waited at the cache site with the 5 mo old Wiener, while Honey Half-lab and I went up to the kill site.

Coming down, I saw our MP and his son off trail a couple hundred yards, afew hundred yards above our cache and they waved me over. They had decided to hike to timberline after all. He was ecstatic, having just killed a probably 3 year old bull with double shovels. His friend Cris, who I met just above our cache site, where they had left their frame with Cheryl, was equally hyped.

And I wasn't that far behind them - for them. They were on cloud - well, about 18.

Of course, I didn't have to pack it all out, and I didn't think they were going to make it all in one trip, with just one pack frame, or all that day yet. I don't think they were physically or mentally tough enough to pack out a100# or more load in one trip, but I didn't tell them that, and i'm pretty sure they weren't going to leave anything behind tho, novices tho they were.

There are some things better learned just for yourself, and as I said, that was a real cap to our own trip. Had we not had our own meat to take care of, I'd have helped them out with the dress out and pack out just to be sure they got it right. We were getting a bit gimped ourselves....

i hope the "and now the work starts" didn't cause waste or turn them off to hunting, but I suppose I'll never know.

They were a bit overextended imo, but at their age, when wasn't I ?

Last edited by las; 08/22/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 79S

I hunt/well used to hunt in the alphabets.. clear over by keg lake.. you know how far that is from the Denali hwy? Last yr I hunted over by the savage river and the Teklanika you know how far that is from the parks hwy? Point being know one is walking that far and packing out a moose..

I was trying to say, I"ve no issues with main trails. I"ve also no issue packing a moose a half mile or so to a trail, even a mile. OR the use of the ATV for transport after the kill. Thats a single in and out.

USED to be respected and done that way where we hunt. Not anymore.

There are ways to combine things.

OTOH I've done a bit of fly ins and used to packing the stuff, part of the game so to speak.

There is a non motorized zone south of us, and I"m going to look into it some in the future. Not nearly as easy for us to hunt, IE not in our back yard, but might be worth the effort.

Heck we motor in 12 miles or so, and then rarely start the 6 wheeler. Walk the trails, slip around in the woods until driven over by an ATV etc.... but yes, we go get the moose with the ATV after its cut up and ready to load... I"'m good with that.

The other OTOH, the roads and trails are totally closed for sheep season there... hasn't changed the odds for drawing or slowed folks down... yes I"m aware sheep are a tad bit smaller than a moose to pack out. Moose are much easier to pack when they are in the back yard too.....

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Las

more than half a bou in my pack is too much... especially if packing head. But 5 miles to a dirt strip years ago was good for the soul.

At 70, likely not so much... but my thoughts give you an exemption.

Glad to see folks get er done on foot still.

Jeff

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I love a good backpack hunt. But I'm mostly opposed to making more rules about access. I get how it applies in L48, to a certain extent.

I'm also generally opposed to making rules giving one group more or less access, or earlier access...

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1eyedmule, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,558
Posts18,453,692
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.