Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
You know what they say about Texans.....

There is only two things they cant do.....listen and do what they were told.

Where were these kids from Matthew?

I am MAGA.
GB1

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a cople guys working that are phenomenal workers. Young brothers, 16 and maybe 19 or 20. Mennonite kids that work. Flat out work. Listen and do as you ask of them. Wish I could get them to work more for me.

Montana MOFO
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
You guys have Mennonites down there? Not Hutterites?

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I fired my office assistant about 6 years ago and never hired another one. It was easier to just do it myself the first time than to try and fix all the mistakes. That is when they did show up to work.

I asked one to take the trash out and she said why should I it's your trash. I said because it's on your job description that you signed. She said but it's your trash. I said why don't you turn in your time sheet and keys, you no longer work here.

She then came in and said she couldn't get our stupid scanner to work and she needed to scan her time sheet in. I told her to Go Fax Yourself. She said that's harrassment. I said no it's no it's another way to scan. Go fax yourself and get out of here.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 08/21/19.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
You guys forget what you were like as 18 and 20 year olds.

Or was there no hormones, booze, smoke or women back then?

I remember when I was 18 and working construction with my older brothers they were 30 & 32. I was running the mixer with a batch of lime for plaster finish when I got lime in my eye, their reaction was you have f 2 eyes and I could flush it out later....

Ted
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Maybe their mind is on the same thing our mind was at that age.
Also, millennials aren't even close to the only ones with a phone problem. Go anywhere in public and see just how many people over the age of 40 are glued to their phone.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well while in school I worked delivering papers for friends that went on holidays, then got my own paper route.
Also
Worked summers helping a plumber, cleaned house, which included waxing their hardwood floors, fixed cookoo clocks for one ladies antique store.
Washed dishes after school at a country club, babysat for one family for years during my school time and continued after starting work.
I would get the kids off to school and then go to work.
Also I did work for classic and thourobred motors in the body shop doing cleanup, got a two dollar raise after less than two weeks there, which ticked off my buddy that told me about the job, did not understand I earned it.
Then I got a job with our BCHydro and worked there three years, then took a job with them on the transit side as they ran the buses from when they were called BCElectric, they split off the bus side and I was stuck on transit and here I am now retiring aug 31 after 44.8 years total time.
Some of us worked and stayed loyal, the young guys can not believe how long I was there for,
Got a lot that said "gosh I wasn't even born then, neither were my parents" thinking back to my last day of school and first day of work, it is amazing how fast it all went by.
I got to where I could be the one to say "I got underwear older than you" grin

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Curmudgeons.

Lazy bastids come in all ages.

Those that say “l get to go to work” and those that say “ I got to”. Tell them the difference, it might transform them.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I often work with 3 mid 20s carpenters and they are great workers, keen to learn and produce, my only complaint is that they are really dull at smoko, they get on their phones and don't have much conversational skills

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My grandson had twenty jobs by the time he was twenty years old. He was fired from every one of them. Finally his dad told him, "Don't keep you opinion to yourself. DON'T HAVE ONE!"

Now he's thirty years old and applied for a job at a gas station; while open carrying. How bright do you have to be to do that?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Lot of you guys are going down the path of the phone distraction, which is a real problem also.

I am just commenting on how difficult it seems to be for these kids to focus long enough to take a simple instruction and do it right away.

Montana MOFO
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
You guys have Mennonites down there? Not Hutterites?

We have the entire spectrum. Hutterites, Mennonites and Amish. Th Amish are on the rez. At least I think they are still there. There is a colony down on the Crow also.

Montana MOFO
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Getting people to pass a drug test is less than 50% or so it seems.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cell phones are indeed problematic, we don’t allow the use of them in the work area, only in break room or outside.

Once that distraction is gone we find 20 year olds about like any other age group, some bad, some okay and some terrific.

It always gives me great delight to see or work around a young person that has manners and a work ethic. Heck it gives me delight to work around anyone like that.

But young folks that have that, just love em and are grateful most often to their parents.

Pretty lucky to have 3kids in their twenties and by all reports they are admired at their respective jobs. Gotta thank their momma for that

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
The 80 or 90% of them that are useless outside of their electronic fantasy all encompassing world, dont make up for the 10 or 20% that are well grounded.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
20 year old stepdaughter who came with my wife 5 years ago. She's looking for an apartment and says she'll be moving out in another month or two. Can't come soon enough. She works at Walmart exactly 1 mile away and bitches non stop about having to walk. Gets home and only gets off her azz to eat, and use the bathroom. Non stop video games. When she's not playing she's watching people play online. No skills, no ambition, no goals, and no drive to do anything to better herself. I've tried so many times to help her find a hobby, offered to teach her to shoot, nope. Fishing, nope. Woodworking and building in the shop, nope. Always an excuse. We have to ask her to help out with dishes and such around the house but it's at the point where I quit asking and do it myself because she half azz does it. Free housing and free all you can eat buffet is coming to an end and can't wait.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are smart, efficient, hard working, knowledgeable, and self sacrificing employees that get most of the work done.
Those are your best 10%.
Everyone would like to hire them.
But when you want new people, you have to draw on the other 90%.

My grandmother immigrated from Sweden 110 years ago, and most of her male descendants are engineers.
The University of Washington gave us IQ tests and took blood samples to follow an inherited gene.

My father, uncle, cousins, wife, and son are all perfect engineering employees. Top 10%

I am the black sheep of the family.
I am not a good employee.
I am selfish and lazy.
As a consulting engineer, my attitude was "How much money have they got? How can I get all of it?"

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Those video games are as addictive as heroin to a lot of people. I've never even played one.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
My son nor I will ever forget the day that he was helping me rip some 8' boards on the table saw.
After about 2 boards sawn I had flat out had it, he was helping with one hand and nonstop texting with the other, paying me, the boards or saw no mind.
He was so engulfed in texting that he never noticed me turning off saw, walking around it, I swiped the phone from his hand and threw it as far as I could into the woods.
But he knew and I really think that something clicked in his brain.
I looked in disgust and told him that I needed BOTH of his hands as well as his focus for 30 minutes and he could be on his way but I wasn't going to take an hour to do the same without his complete focus and that the sooner we finished meant the sooner he could retrieve his phone.
He's now a welder making great money at a place where phones are locked away while on the clock.
He never tried doing anything like that with me again.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My son designed and sold his own video games for the Iphone. Then google hired him to write software for budget androids that would seduce africans to use google instead of facebook.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,536
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.