Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
Originally Posted by Sako
But what does Chevy say.... wait, let's wait for them to pay off J.D.Power first... Man, they have the most deceptive commercials of anyone...

Man, the lead guy in those commercials gets on my nerves.

That’s a fact. Right up there with those stupid-ass clowns on the Liberty Insurance commercials.

Last edited by tpcollins; 08/22/19.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
This is the one I’m looking at. It’s loaded and the seller in the pic doesn’t know half of the goodies that I think are on it. He never setup the keyless entry code plus couldn’t figure out how to open the hood. It’s always been serviced at the dealer.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by tpcollins; 08/22/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a 2017 and love it. No problems with the aluminum body, but then I haven't had it long enough to experience any.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Love mine. Haven’t had any issues what so ever.
And the Bullschitt about it being too light in the ass end when driving on ice is exactly that. Bullschitt.

+1
I have 52,000 miles on my '16 with the 3.5. Zero Complaints. Plan on replacing it with a near identical F150 before the end of the year.
As regards the light rear end nonsense, the front/rear weight ratio of the super or crew cab is far superior to the old traditional single cabs with an 8' bed.
In spite of this, I do miss 8' beds.
My mileage runs in the 19's in the summer so long as I behave. Winter mileage drops about 2mpg, I think this is due to the change in gas blends Uncle Sam has forced upon us.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been a Ford guy since the Chev self destructed and the only issue that I've read about with the new ones is the more open seams around the tailgate. Aluminum does have twice the thermal expansion that steel does, so they might need to keep the tolerances a little more open with the aluminum bodies. It is the same reason that most of us can't keep aluminum wheels from developing rim leaks at least up here in the north with larger temperature swings. They probably have the new engine issues ironed out by now, but back when I needed a new truck I wasn't about to be their new 5.0/3.5 Ecoboost testing crew. Still wildly happy with high teen mileage and a 5.4.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
A friend has one, he likes his!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Windfall
I've been a Ford guy since the Chev self destructed and the only issue that I've read about with the new ones is the more open seams around the tailgate. Aluminum does have twice the thermal expansion that steel does, so they might need to keep the tolerances a little more open with the aluminum bodies. It is the same reason that most of us can't keep aluminum wheels from developing rim leaks at least up here in the north with larger temperature swings. They probably have the new engine issues ironed out by now, but back when I needed a new truck I wasn't about to be their new 5.0/3.5 Ecoboost testing crew. Still wildly happy with high teen mileage and a 5.4.

I've put 146000 miles on a 2011 F-150 with the 5.0L.
Flawless.
Still running the original spark plugs.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
But what does Chevy say.... wait, let's wait for them to pay off J.D.Power first... Man, they have the most deceptive commercials of anyone...

The New Chebbies have aluminum hoods and doors , they probably don't advertize that after their stupid commercials with their metrosexual downgrading the new F 150

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I've got an '18 5.0. Insurance was not expensive (~700 yr for me with good coverage) and no issues with the body at all.

If I had to do it again though I would skip the 5.0 (updated for the '18 model year). This thing makes more awful sounds than any engine I have been around. Plenty of power though. There are several TSBs released around this engine and none of them fix the issues it has.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fishdog52
My mileage runs in the 19's in the summer so long as I behave. Winter mileage drops about 2mpg, I think this is due to the change in gas blends Uncle Sam has forced upon us.

That might have something to do with it but it was also pointed out to me on a pretty professional car website (OK, it was Click and Clack grin) that those of us that live in places where we get cold often discount how much more resistance there is in the driveline (lube etc.) until it warms up in the winter and that has a large effect on mileage, especially on shorter trips.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by fishdog52

That might have something to do with it but it was also pointed out to me on a pretty professional car website (OK, it was Click and Clack grin) that those of us that live in places where we get cold often discount how much more resistance there is in the driveline (lube etc.) until it warms up in the winter and that has a large effect on mileage, especially on shorter trips.

Winter gas blends in most places don't produce as much mileage either.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I keep my mileage on Fuely application. I go down about 3 mpg in the winter. From 21 to 18, in a 4Runner.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
It makes me smile whenever I hear someone chirping about the F150 being light. I had a 2003 Tundra with the I-Force V-8 and got a ticket in Frost Texas at an intersection for throwing gravel when I took off. The jackass was an Elvis impersonator in his spare time and a hitman for the city in his regular gig. He gave me the ticket for "Exhibition of Acceleration". The judge threw out the ticket because he misspelled both words. To my delight a few weeks later Elvis was put in the hospital by a jealous husband when he was caught in a tender moment with the guy's wife.

I have a 2018 F150 XLT super crew and it's pretty good. If I manage to go the speed limit I get around 20MPG. Of course city driving and towing will seriously affect that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

All with that male pattern baldness pencil necked hipster.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

The New Chebbies have aluminum hoods and doors , they probably don't advertize that after their stupid commercials with their metrosexual downgrading the new F 150

So does all the new trucks you get. Chevy, Ram, and Ford have had aluminum hoods for quite some time.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
'16 Crew cab 3.5 Eco Boost (3.55) with 63K on it. Love it. it is in no way light in the rear end and I travel plenty of snowy roads. I travel the freeway a fair bit and get 21-23 consistently unless it is winter or hit a big headwind. Overall, like others, in the 19 range unless pulling. Speaking of pulling, I just pulled a 8.5 by 16 enclosed trailer that catches a fair amount of wind to the mountains on vacation. I could go as fast as i wanted. The mileage suffered just like they all suffer but the impressive part was that I had plenty of power in the hills and mountains.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My son has a 2017 and he gets about 20 mpg with the V6 Ecoboost. He never puts much in the bed other than a dead deer every now and then, so I can't say about durability. He likes his.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 08/22/19.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

So does all the new trucks you get. Chevy, Ram, and Ford have had aluminum hoods for quite some time.

I knew about the hoods but they added doors and tailgate this year on the Chebby

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
The only issues we've experienced (we are on our second alum f150) is that you have to endure all the BS. Chevy tv commercials showing people dumping loader buckets of heavy rock or brick from 5 ft above the bed floor..... into the back of a NEW 42K to 75K truck..... Yeah, because everybody does thaaaat.

Or facebook and internet pictures of an aluminum bed side or fender peeled open from a wreck. 2 things, give me a vice grip and I'll peel your steel fender open, it's not difficult. And, wrecked is wrecked, right? I mean, smashed in and glass broken is better than a rip and glass broken? Do both warrant an insurance claim and a trip to the body shop? A panel is "more worser" if it's got a tear vs a crumple?

The trucks are lighter and I see no signs of rust in our salted winter road conditions. That's a win.

Something clever here.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by northern_dave
The only issues we've experienced (we are on our second alum f150) is that you have to endure all the BS. Chevy tv commercials showing people dumping loader buckets of heavy rock or brick from 5 ft above the bed floor..... into the back of a NEW 42K to 75K truck..... Yeah, because everybody does thaaaat.

Or facebook and internet pictures of an aluminum bed side or fender peeled open from a wreck. 2 things, give me a vice grip and I'll peel your steel fender open, it's not difficult. And, wrecked is wrecked, right? I mean, smashed in and glass broken is better than a rip and glass broken? Do both warrant an insurance claim and a trip to the body shop? A panel is "more worser" if it's got a tear vs a crumple?

The trucks are lighter and I see no signs of rust in our salted winter road conditions. That's a win.

Stop making sense!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (1minute, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,526
Posts18,452,842
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.