-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Back in the 50's & 60's, most of the young guys in the Pennnsy farm country learned to hunt with Remington pumps in 35 Rem caliber. Like the 300 Savage & 358 Win, I think most of us seriously underestimate the effectiveness of these calibers on game.
Their relatively mild manner, typically delivering adequate hunting accuracy, make it easy to deliver a bullet to just the right spot. With store bought ammo.
Having said all that, I have drank the koolaid and hunted with a bunch of higher performance stuff. When I look back at 50 years of big game hunting, at least 99% of the game I've taken, could have been handled just as well with far milder cartridges.
As evidence, I rolled a bull moose last fall with a 300 Savage & 2 150gr Partitions. I'm learning, it's just real slow.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
.22LR, .30/06 and a .458.
That makes the .30/06 the medium bore.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Buy yourself a 348 M71. Seriously it is the most natural shooting rifle I own. It is just flat fun to shoot. I have a 300 H&H, 220 swift, 257,bob, 375 H&H, 33 win, 38-55, 45-70, 6.5 and 270 and that is by far the most natural and fun shooting cartridge I own. I know budget is what it is, but a pre war m71 with a bolt peep is for me the perfect rifle.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
.22LR, .30/06 and a .458.
That makes the .30/06 the medium bore.

With those three you don't need anything else, except I'd probably substitute a .375 for the .458, and just might add a .223.

So why do we even have any other cartridges? Because it's not the Soviet Union, that's why.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
After reading this post I find a lack of interest in the 358 win, which is, and always has been, a very over looked cartridge. There are a few on here that bring up the 358, but most have gone off into bigger is better. look I own 35 Rem, 358 win and 35 Whelen, but a 99 358 is a great choice, just keep your eyes open, look for a trade. or a Ruger bolt gun in 358, I've seen some reasonable prices on newer Rugers.
But, for fun find a Browning 1895 in 30-06 and have it taken out to 375 Whelen or 375 Scovill, always wanted one, but ran across a Browning 71 in 348 and re-barreled it to 50 Alaskan. If you run across a 30-40 you could have Jess take it out to 35-40 or 35 Winchester. It just sounds like your looking for something unique to play with. So take a walk on the wild side.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have an 1895 in 35 Whelen.

It's the last gun I would ever sell.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I always figured anything below 375 to be a small bore.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I went the something entirely route, my new medium bore is nearing completion, it's a 400 H&H built on a classic M-70 action, i'll start load workup with the 400gr Woodleigh's, Swift A-Frames and Alaskan Bullet Works bonded bullets, a couple boxes of 400gr Woodleigh FMJ's will be along for fun, it should be around 8.5lbs all up, a nice lighter weight African plains game rifle, You may want to consider a nice 375 H&H if you choose not to go the custom/semi custom route.

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For my own uses I have come to very much appreciate the old 8X57 and from there I jump up to 9.3X57 (2 of them ) and then a 9.3X62 as well as a 9.3X74R.

The 9.3X57 is a bit of an odd-ball in the USA, but when you see them work you come to like them. Very much like a 358 Winchester or a bit more depending on how it's loaded and the brass is made with just one pass over the expander ball in the FL die set. I use the 8X57 brass instead of buying the (very) expediencies Norma brass.
Using 236, 250 270 and 286 grain bullets, it is a good little hammer for about anything you will shoot with it of 1000 pounds or less. Cool thing about this shell is that it is a simple re-barrel for about any M98 Mauser. It's a cheap project to do. The more I use them and see them used by 2 friends of mine who have rifles I made for them, the better Like the way they work.

The other 2, the 9.3X62 and the 9.3X74R have some following in the USA because of the limited runs Ruger and Remington made and the importation of the CZ rifle in the X62 shell. I load them both with 286 grain bullets at 2400 FPS and they seem to kill everything as well as my 375H&H does, from elk, moose, buffalo and they do good duty on smaller game too like deer and antelope.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by fishdog52
Back in the 50's & 60's, most of the young guys in the Pennnsy farm country learned to hunt with Remington pumps in 35 Rem caliber. Like the 300 Savage & 358 Win, I think most of us seriously underestimate the effectiveness of these calibers on game.
Their relatively mild manner, typically delivering adequate hunting accuracy, make it easy to deliver a bullet to just the right spot. With store bought ammo.
Having said all that, I have drank the koolaid and hunted with a bunch of higher performance stuff. When I look back at 50 years of big game hunting, at least 99% of the game I've taken, could have been handled just as well with far milder cartridges.
As evidence, I rolled a bull moose last fall with a 300 Savage & 2 150gr Partitions. I'm learning, it's just real slow.

When I lived in MN and hunted there and Wisconsin, met a ton of old guys who thought deer hunting began and ended with a Rem Model 14 or 141, in 35 Remington.... sure saw a ton of them being carried by old guys out come hunting season in both of those state's Northwoods...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
8mm rem mag.

358 STW

358 Norma

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
I have changed my mind on this subject many times since my first shot in 1962.
Growing up in Australia where there is no DOW, no seasons or bag limits and you simply knocked on a farmers door and asked if you can hunt there meant that the several thousand animals shot by me and many thousands shot by others in my hunting camps, has seen an awful lot of cartridges and loads used to do what amounts as, the same thing.

I took the roller coaster up from the .222 Remington to the .460 Weatherby with multiple variants of the same caliber, meaning various chamberings and considerable loads tried to the point of now..............

The point of now, means if I was logical and rational in cartridge choices especially relating to "Gaps" which I no longer believe in means that simple is better, practice is more valuable and confidence is premium.

Probable the best twosome I owned was a pair of Rigby;s, a .275 with factory fitted Kahles 2-7 and a double in .350 Rigby No 2. With this pair I could hunt open or timbered areas and proficient with either in its range capabilities.

As of today, my thinking is to walk away from cartridge choices and concentrate on a pair of rifles that are similar.same so as never to be strangers. During my magnum days I stayed clear of the .308 and .30/06 but eventually chose a Winchester Featherweight in .30/06 as a reasonably light and practical all rounder. So have many others. I did trade it off briefly for a .338 Ruger but bought it weeks later because I missed it and knew it was one of the most accurate factory rifle I ever tested to that point.

Here is where I differ to others here. I do not believe in cartridge gaps, I learned there are only animal gaps and even then most of those perceived gaps can be distorted by range, terrain and field difficulties to again, create a window for options such Stainless over blued, long barrel over short, magnum over standard case, and so on.

I like hunting so am not much interested in the fad of long range shooting. I have killed at 600 yards with a 4 foot hold over and at 300 with a straight on hold so I understand the arguments or self imposed justifications some use.

I do not believe the "Most Accurate rifles in the world" claims because I have during rifle reviews seem a great many of factory rifles out shoot customs costing many times the factory equivalent. I have also seen these same Rigby priced plastic rifles miss some spectacularly easy shots at .30/30 ranges.

So where am I going with this.......

I have more rifles that I need and will never wear them out with the limited short season hunting in the US. There is no open seasons unless you are culling pigs and that is a different market. I like a .30/06, a .458 because with Barnes X bullets, it is no longer the 100 yard stopping rifles is was designed to be. The .375 is more logical and practical but I never warmed to it like I did with the .458's.

I like the practicality of the 7mm Weatherby though it is strangely one of the only Weatherby cartridges I have neither owned or used. Of the big 3, I like the .460 as it is built correctly for the recoil and more versatile that any scribe has demonstrated. I hate reading articles on the .460 as they are full of stupid and ignorance. The .458 is more practical for the average hunter as it is a try stopper and with the lighter weight Barnes X bullets, far more versatile that historical reports.

This topic should be forcing readers to invent the animal that cannot be taken with a .30/06 loaded with a 200gn TTSX or a 220gn Woodleigh or Partition that "CAN" be taken with a .375? If anyone can wrap their mind around that, then because every boy in the world had ADD during his school days, you would find yourself becoming distracted yet again by options within the same area based on Stainless over blued, long barrel over short, magnum over standard case, and so on.
John

I'm with John on the .458 Win Mag. As long as I own rifles, I'll not be without one. It is the most versatile of any cartridge in my experience and view; and I've owned and used many from the .22 Hornet to the .458 Win Mag, and in several versions. A 300gr TSX at 2400 to 2950 fps can just about do it all. If not, a 350 TSX at 2750 is no slouch! Want bigger, more like the "good ole' days"? A 470gr hard or soft cast at 1300 to over 2100 fps can topple the biggest and baddest! And, you need a .458 Lott? Just load your .458 WM "long". Long - heavy bullets can be loaded as long as your magazine allows, or in a Ruger #1, longer than a Lott!!! A 500gr at 2300 fps; or slow it to 1200 fps. There is no other Big Bore that has such a wealth of bullet weights and types as in .458-cal.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Hate to be a buzzkill, but after a 35 Whelen, where ya gunna go?You done arrived.

JMO.

9.3x62?

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

290 members (22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,733
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.