Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Fugg me. Change and not for the better. mad

Been two years doing it one way, and getting by more or less, now loosing lots of flexibility and it ain't looking good. Over the road trucking ain't all glamour boys! LOL.

One change, loosing my "PC Miles". Personal Conveyance. Was allotted 20 miles per day on my off duty time I could drive to do stuff like go to a grocery store, restaurant, F'off etc.... Didn't use it much, but, it was key to survival. Now, on my daily 10 hours off duty, and weekly 34 hour resets, I can not drive even across a truck stop parking lot without it putting me on duty F'ing up my break time, resetting it to zero. Pretty well fugged IMO. Used to go onto drive time at 1.8 miles rolling, now activates at 5mph, no distance requirement and no ability to edit and no PC.... Lookout for the slow motion truck headed to Wally World!

Dammit all to hell. Had it made six months ago, then it got worse, lost a lot of miles and long range good money trips, now it's worser, even less options and more BS. Dammit. Looking at other options, many companies say 4 weeks out at a time. SOB!

I do not really feel better having expressed this. SOB! This, truly sucks balls. Did I mention a new chain of command too? Giving it some time but darn skeptical. Chit!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is this company changes or new federal regulations?

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your comments are very interesting to me. My company builds semi truck parts and I often wonder about the guys who get our products. Could you explain exactly how the allotted hours works? I think there is much confusion about this among people who dont drive. Thanks

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Sorry to hear this, MB.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Is this company changes or new federal regulations?

Really both, I believe the gripe is with the company's implementation of the regs.... (And there's a Company buyout, run it into the ground, and shutdown a division involved. Over a 1000 people just got fugged by the parent company....)

Originally Posted by 19352012
Your comments are very interesting to me. My company builds semi truck parts and I often wonder about the guys who get our products. Could you explain exactly how the allotted hours works? I think there is much confusion about this among people who dont drive. Thanks

It's too convoluted to fully 'xplain here. But, basically, on a daily basis I have 14 work hours to complete a maximum of 11 hours of driving. Then I must take a minimum of 10 hours off to start another day. Then a max of 70 work hours in an 8 day period (some do 60 per 6 days). Must take 34 hours off to reset the week. Could work 8.75 hours per day and not run out of time but it don't pay.... Drive like heck to maximize 11, takes about 12 hours. Ten off, go again. Can burn 70 hours on duty time in 5, 6 , 7 days real easy.

This change means my trip to get groceries will count against my allotted time to make money. And no play.... And more, which I will not go into....

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 08/22/19.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Sorry to hear this, MB.

Thanks. There's more not mentioned. It's no bueno.... Looking for a solution.

There's been, as of a few months ago, no more taking off from Montana to the east coast, circling back out west to grab a load to to Cali then OR or WA then rolling back to Montana.... @ 2 or 3 weeks usually, or 1.5 sometimes..... I guess those were the good ol' days!

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Sounds like a damn good excuse to find an uber at each stop

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wont be long and the self driving trucks will change your job again.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That sucks. Maybe Uber or hauling a small 49cc scooter would help?

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Frog snacks.

Sorry to hear.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
For starters, I'm not sure how you guys do it. Stay out for days, or even weeks at a time. You really have to like to drive.

You've got to love the ELD's. They're one cause of inflation. Last year, when they mandated the ELD's, my freight rates went up by 25% to 50%. I lost my ass because it was right after I set all of my prices for the year. All of the small trucking companies that I deal with freaked out, and are still freaking out. I hear some stories. I think the worst thing that guys run into, is when they're 30 miles from home or the yard, and they run out of hours. The schedules are all screwed up too. Loads are always late being picked up or delivered. It sucks for you guys, I feel for ya. Ever think of getting a local job so you'll be home every day? Not sure how close to a major city you live though. I know that around here, good drivers are at a premium. Good luck to you, I hope you figure it out.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Might want to start looking into a sage grouse job again? crazy

Corporate work sucks.

Nearly as bad as Gooberment work.

"We're moving operations to Georgia, your job will be there if you want it." when you live in MT and like it there.

Good luck with working something out. Maybe get an E-bike to get around on when you're stopped for a bit.

No wonder these OTR companies can't find good drivers, or the ones that are willing to work those conditions are foreigners.

Wishing you the best.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There haven't been any negative changes to the Federal PC rules in a while, several positive ones last year, so this one is a company rule. Do you have a driver retention office? I'd go talk to them about your future plans.

In the meantime, Uber, Lyft, local girlfriend would be the ticket. You do know that there are several options now to get groceries delivered to the truck stop through several apps? I know guys do it with Walmart groceries.

We have a full time driver, and he makes more by half than any other employee. The guys will bitch, until I ask them if they want his job, and they all start staring at their shoes and back peddling. The guy earns every freaking penny we pay him. You guys are the backbone of this economy.

If you're not happy, lots of guys out there making really good money doing LTL line haul (Old Dominion, Estes, etc). Home more nights than out. Other places to look are companies that ship their own products (like we do). They typically run out and back. Think window manufacturers, that sort of thing. Finally, industrial suppliers, tanker yankers like Praxair etc, usually pay very, very well and home every night.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
That blows goats, Boomer. Sorry to hear that.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
If I was an experienced driver, I'd look into getting a job driving a feeder for UPS.

Leave from a destination,...drive to a destination,...drive back to the original destination during a single shift.

They're hiring seasonal drivers around here right now. It could be a way to get your foot in the door.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Boomer,

Bristoe has decent idea there if you can get on with them and they have a transfer spot nearby.

Southern OR/ Northern CA/NV guys swap trailers up the road about an hour from me. I'm thinking, by estimating drive time, the CA/NV folks get back to the Reno area every night/morning. OR guys likely going to Ashland/Medford/Grant's Pass areas. Maybe Bend. Not sure where UPS has their depots up there.

Again, good luck.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I worked loading trucks at UPS way back in the day and the feeder (semi) driving jobs were the holy grail.

The package car drivers have to run their asses off. But the big rig drivers had it made. Decent pay,...good benefit package,..home every night,..

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Tons of driving jobs in ND. Probably could get on a 2-1 or 3-1 rotation. I bet it pays more than OTR driving also.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
FUGG! I don't abide company work, chain of commande OR pecking order bullchit, God Bless you guys that can/do.......................I love my farm!

Trump Won!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by tuff
Tons of driving jobs in ND. Probably could get on a 2-1 or 3-1 rotation. I bet it pays more than OTR driving also.

Yes.

=====================================================================================================
Dutch, What's occurred is our company's transition to final rule ELDs from a "grandfathered AOBRD" system. But, the kill-off of our little company by the big company is what has dic'd me the most.... Specifically the PC miles, which to the best of my understanding was never allowed by the parent Co.... I am not sure I can take it, standing upright.... All in all it's a loss of pay overall, significantly over last year.

Just got assigned to a female boss! Good gawd, what are they thinking?

--- Kid Rock 2022

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,116
Posts18,464,530
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.