Hop To
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
John
When Reloaders advertises a powder with a "de coppering additive"
Just sales hype or actually does something????
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yes, it "does something."

Decoppering agents are not new. They were first used over a century ago, primarily in artillery, because of accuracy problems. After plenty of shooting through hot barrels, copper strips actually started hanging out of the muzzle.

After experimentation, it was discovered that adding lead to the powder charge vastly reduced copper fouling. The reason was eventually traced to the lead combining with the copper during the heat of firing, resulting in a brittle amalgam that blew out of the barrel.

Back then the lead was often added as a coil of wire on top of the powder charge before the projectile was seated, the amount of lead being adjusted to the specific load. Eventually it was discovered that other metals had the same results, especially tin and bismuth.

Quite a few early rifle powders had tin added, such as the "1/2" series of early DuPont powders. But evidently the amount of tin was often too much, which resulted in tin fouling instead of copper fouling--and the tin was harder to remove.

Decoppering agents have often been added to the Ball powder developed by Olin in the 1930's, primarily because they were often used in ammo for automatic rifles, where copper built up quickly. ("Ball powder" is a trademarked name; the generic name is spherical.) In fact they've been incorporated in some Ball powders for a while, though nobody made a big deal of it.

From what I can extract from powder manufacturers (who are naturally shy about revealing secrets), the probable decoppering agent in all the recent powders is bismuth, which unlike lead is non-toxic. They very definitely work, though how well depends on various factors, including how much powder is used compared to the bore-size, bearing surface and copper-composition of the bullet, velocity, bore diameter and smoothness, etc.

However, they always reduce copper fouling, and sometimes eliminate it. I recently got done with a project involving new powders and bullets in the 7mm Remington Magnum. I'd shot the test-rifle enough beforehand to know its barrel fouled some, due to inspecting it with my Gradient Lens Hawkeye bore-scope. But the majority of the powders tested included decoppering agents. After well over 100 rounds without cleaning, there was ZERO copper-fouling in the barrel.

That doesn't always happen, due to the powder/bore/bullet factor, but yes, decoppering agents do work, and have for over a century.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
John
Thanks for that info. Really appreciate the sharing of knowledge on your part over the years.

So, I had better clean my bore down to copper free before testing the R16 in my Bob.

Thanks again.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Not necessarily. Existing copper-fouling will still be reduced by decoppering agents. But you may notice some variation in accuracy and velocity while shooting ammo loading with a decoppering powder. Eventually it will stabilize. (In other words, the powder is cleaning the bore.)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Mule Deer, can you give a hint as to what powders you used in your 7 Mag tests or will that let the cat out of the bag for a future article? 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yes, it "does something."

Decoppering agents are not new. They were first used over a century ago, primarily in artillery, because of accuracy problems. After plenty of shooting through hot barrels, copper strips actually started hanging out of the muzzle.

After experimentation, it was discovered that adding lead to the powder charge vastly reduced copper fouling. The reason was eventually traced to the lead combining with the copper during the heat of firing, resulting in a brittle amalgam that blew out of the barrel.

Back then the lead was often added as a coil of wire on top of the powder charge before the projectile was seated, the amount of lead being adjusted to the specific load. Eventually it was discovered that other metals had the same results, especially tin and bismuth.

Quite a few early rifle powders had tin added, such as the "1/2" series of early DuPont powders. But evidently the amount of tin was often too much, which resulted in tin fouling instead of copper fouling--and the tin was harder to remove.

Decoppering agents have often been added to the Ball powder developed by Olin in the 1930's, primarily because they were often used in ammo for automatic rifles, where copper built up quickly. ("Ball powder" is a trademarked name; the generic name is spherical.) In fact they've been incorporated in some Ball powders for a while, though nobody made a big deal of it.

From what I can extract from powder manufacturers (who are naturally shy about revealing secrets), the probable decoppering agent in all the recent powders is bismuth, which unlike lead is non-toxic. They very definitely work, though how well depends on various factors, including how much powder is used compared to the bore-size, bearing surface and copper-composition of the bullet, velocity, bore diameter and smoothness, etc.

However, they always reduce copper fouling, and sometimes eliminate it. I recently got done with a project involving new powders and bullets in the 7mm Remington Magnum. I'd shot the test-rifle enough beforehand to know its barrel fouled some, due to inspecting it with my Gradient Lens Hawkeye bore-scope. But the majority of the powders tested included decoppering agents. After well over 100 rounds without cleaning, there was ZERO copper-fouling in the barrel.

That doesn't always happen, due to the powder/bore/bullet factor, but yes, decoppering agents do work, and have for over a century.

John that was very informative. Thanks for the reply.
GreggH

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
It's about new powders and bullets, defined as introduced since 2000. The majority of powders featured decoppering agents, especially IMR8133 and Reloder 26.

John Steinbeck

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
777 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 87 invisible), 3,079 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,706
Posts18,400,100
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.