-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I heard that same ad and thought how in the hell can people live with themselves by spending all that money and not repaying it? It's theft IMO.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Living within your means and going to work will get you kicked in the nuts by those with their freeloading hands out and the government. The Fanny and Freddy days screwed all of us that have done the right thing. We always pay off all credit card charges each month. We've paid off vehicles and our mortgage early. Why have good credit? It has opened doors to a better interest rate on loans for us.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I had to retire 4 years ago at 60. Don't owe a penny. Sold offa couple houses and bought my little place. It's all about keeping your head out of your posterior.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
With a paid for homesite....ya can pick s hit with the chickens and get by!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
If you are lucky enough to be Canadian and had a Chase Bank Card your debt was forgiven. That firm settles debt and by doing so phuggs up your credit but those things are left out of the Ad.

Yep. Good luck buying a car or a house in the future...

Not so much.

My wife's sister and BIL have declared Bankruptcy at least three times since 1985, and he had done so at least once before they got married.

They have purchased two newly built houses, each one within a year of a bankruptcy. After their last bankruptcy, they settled for an older home in an exclusive neighborhood, where their back yard fades into the side of a eighteen hole golf course.

Yes their interest rates are a bit higher than mine. But they have lived the lifestyle of the rich and famous on our dime for thirty years.

That's just wrong

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Boomer virtue signalling at its best. Way to go, guys.

What an enlightening contribution, you are welcome.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm just waiting for one of my boomer relatives to kick the bucket. Collect their life insurance, sell the timber, sell half the land to a residential developer personal friend. I don't have any debts but what I would do is start buying old rifles and posting pics on the internet for my attention whoring addiction. Might even preach to younger working folks about personal austerity and living within their means.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
If you are lucky enough to be Canadian and had a Chase Bank Card your debt was forgiven. That firm settles debt and by doing so phuggs up your credit but those things are left out of the Ad.

Yep. Good luck buying a car or a house in the future...

Not so much.

My wife's sister and BIL have declared Bankruptcy at least three times since 1985, and he had done so at least once before they got married.

They have purchased two newly built houses, each one within a year of a bankruptcy. After their last bankruptcy, they settled for an older home in an exclusive neighborhood, where their back yard fades into the side of a eighteen hole golf course.

Yes their interest rates are a bit higher than mine. But they have lived the lifestyle of the rich and famous on our dime for thirty years.

That's just wrong

It absolutely is.

And then there was Wifes little sister, ten years younger. She got married at 19. They rented an apartment, and got a CC, then a 2'nd, and a 3'rd, and a 4'th. And then a new Toyota pickup in 1986. They traveled from Boise to Seattle on multiple occasions, where they attended art galleries and made purchases to decorate the walls of the apartment. They purchased bedroom sets, and dining room set, and entertainment system with high end audio equipment.

And then they declared bankruptcy. Their entire debt load was erased, and only the Toyota was repossessed. They were left with every item they had stolen from the CC companies.

There is the real crime.

The CC companies should send repossession squads to every deadbeat's house to gather every item they ever purchased on the card. They could either haul it all to the dump, sell it at auction, or burn it. That does not matter, just take the profit out of being a deadbeat.

And in cases like this, the perps should be prosecuted for fraud and imprisoned. They knew they would never be able to make the payments on the CCs before they made the purchases.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have been retired for 6 years, and my wife just retired. A long time ago we learned to live within our means and after raising three kids, we are debt free!
We own new or nearly new vehicles (paid for), and the same house we have had for 40+ years (paid for), and now have money to travel and live as good or better than we did while working.
I think because we both grew up in middle income families, we didn't get the feeling we could live beyond our means and never did get in debt.
When you watch friends you grew up with go broke and die poor, you kind of catch on.
We may have had to do without some of the finer thing in life, now we can basically live the good life and we are!

It's a good feeling!

Last edited by kennymauser; 08/22/19. Reason: none
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've never been in this position. I've borrowed some money and paid it back with sensible interest. But at the same time there are people out there who have borrowed $5K, already paid back $10K and still owe $5K. Granted they weren't very smart to be in that position. But at the same time lenders took advantage the situation. In cases like that I don't have a problem with saying FU to the lender. If they got their money back long ago and with generous interest screw em. They should have never approved the loan or CC.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In the 1880’s Ulysses S. Grant was flat out swindled by a business partner and ended up owing considerable sums of money but was determined to pay off all his creditors.

Though slowly dying of throat cancer he set about writing his autobiography: “Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant”, completing it just five days before his death in 1885.

Thanks to the active marketing assistance of Samuel Clemens the book became a runaway best seller, after all was said and done leaving his widow with nearly a half million dollars (about 12 million in today’s dollars).

In common with many here, it wouldn’t occur to me not to pay off every cent I borrowed either, tho I have been digging my way out of a credit hole these past three years. I was able to do a very good debt consolidation/refi earlier this year.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
before you retire get a schit ton of cc's. then start loading them babies up and roll the balance from one to the other. if you had half a dozen i wonder how long you could ride that? probably a good while.

My diploma is a DD214
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I used to listen to Bruce Williams on the radio. Money and business talk show guy. Great with numbers, money and people. Great advice. I learned as much from him about $ as I probably did anywhere else in my life.

Guy was incredibly successful and wealthy. Used to drive me nuts that they ran those walk away from your debt ads on his show. I would shake my head.

Now I see people all around me that have ZERO issues of owing others that they will never repay. Living beyond their means. Filing bankruptcies etc. And they walk around like they are cock-of-the-walk. No shame. ZERO SHAME. I don't get it.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's my sad story. Married #2 (bad mistake) sent her daughter to school and paid for it. Later on she decides she needs a change of pace and wants to start a restaurant in a stupid location. I know the odds of a restaurant succeeding are like 25% so I disagree she goes ahead anyway while at the same time just not coming home. Me being a gullible dumb ass didn't think to cut here azz off from my credit find out she has maxed out a credit line against my house and land to the tune of 100k and there ain't a damn thing I can do about it. After about 3 years of me busting my butt to make min payments and the whole time my lawyer telling me bankruptcy is my only option I conceded and filed. Buy that time she had already filed. I lost my home and land in a short sale and paid the 1Rs the difference. I also paid off the credit cards she had ran up. Now there's a life lesson I'll never forget. There is way more to that story but that's the cliff notes. Hindsight is 100% clear sure wish my crystal ball had been working before I went into that disaster. My first marriage was great and my dumb azz thought that the next one would be the same. Wrong. I have since recovered except for the disgrace of having to use the bankruptcy court to settle my mistakes. I'm still ashamed I let it happen.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No shame in trusting someone unless you know different, and you didn’t know different at the time.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife was medically retired, and we dropped to one income. The medical bills grew, and I pay more In medical than mortgage. We ate all the food I had stored in case of some problem. (It proved it's worth.)
I will likely be working the day I die. I pay for all my outdoor activities by recycling metals, and the market for metals is very low right now. (Not worth the gas involved, let alone the time).
We have been doing the online auctions and been doing surprisingly well at buying, assembling and reselling. It's not like having another full income, but it is close. We are beginning to rebuild the food stores.
We will not be filing bankruptcy at any time.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Retirement is great! I am sitting on a hilltop with enough coverage to listen to Rush and still shoot gophers. I have been out here 3 of the last 4 days shooting gophers.

While listening to Rush, I keep hearing the ads on the radio of debt release. You don’t have to pay your debt you have accumulated with your credit cards, you can pay little or none of your debt to the creditors by using this service that settles you debt so you don’t have to pay what you owe.

Since when should you not pay what you owe?

1st - I am surprised that gophers are still up in your area they have been down here for a month.

2nd - Flame suit on - Does it bother anyone that they are running the ads on the Rush show? After all he is the darling of the Conservatives so that seems to be who they are targeting.

FYI - I am a Conservative but one who believes in owning up to ones responsibilities, and yes I do realize that there are extreme situations where that is not possible but I do not believe in bailing out just because it crams your lifestyle. The red flag should have gone up when a person is borrowing money at 18% - 25% to buy that new wide screen TV or other non-necessity.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't like paying interest so we 'under bought' some stuff.

Could have financed a more expensive house instead we found a deal and paid it off in 9 years.

Could be driving a new pickup and have a new boat but instead bought some cows and an old tractor.

Now that the house is paid off we need to find another little deal.

And I'm talking peanuts here, this is no brag.

10 years ago I was 10k in the hole. Making okay money but spending every penny and being an idiot.

Once you start saving and investing just a little bit in the future of things, things sort of take off.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
No shame in trusting someone unless you know different, and you didn’t know different at the time.

My nephew called me and asked about what happens to his property when/if he gets married I told him if he is thinking that way before marrying he best go to a lawyer now.
My current love #3 came around when I was flat broke, I took that as a good sign and still waited and prayed long before going into that water again. I don't blame anybody for not marrying in this day and time. I used to shoot with a guy that said he won't get married again, said he would just as soon buy them a house and give them half his retirement up front and save the headaches and heartache. Its a blessing to have a trustworthy partner in life. I'd have long been able to retire if not for allowing a gold digging beotch into my life, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that respect. I'll quit whining now, I just feel like if I tell my story I may be saving some poor sucker from falling into the same crap hole like I did.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a stroke and been paying on credit cards for 2 years. Probably have 10 years left to pay.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,543
Posts18,453,276
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.