Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
One of my favorite jobs was butchering beef and pigs right out of high school at a mom and pop processor that still had swinging beef. My grandfather was a butcher and would quickly point out the difference between himself and a 'meat cutter'....

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Salmonella
I lived it for 40 years.
Most meat cutters aren't butchers.
Everything comes broken down into primal cuts these days.
Damn few guys know how to take an animal apart, let alone go from freshly killed to field dressed to primals to retail cuts.
There are damn few thing in this world that I truly excell at, but butchering animals is that one thing.
If it has hair, feathers or scales I can kill it, clean it and butcher it well...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Could have used you 2 weeks ago, had a steer we just bought become completely and totally wild once it got to our barn. Won’t get into the long story but it was much cheaper for me to shoot it than to try and contain it. 700 pound Hereford/watusi cross hung from the bucket of my tractor, I’ve butchered at least 100 deer, dozen pigs and a handful of elk, this was the same but different. Lots of good beef hanging there , would have liked to make some more specialized cuts but I lack the knowledge.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

What are those cuts? Looks like the brisket point but not sure. Some cuts in the States are done differently than what I see here in Canada. Some cuts don't even exist anymore since block ready beef came in.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SuperCub

[Linked Image]

What are those cuts? Looks like the brisket point but not sure. Some cuts in the States are done differently than what I see here in Canada. Some cuts don't even exist anymore since block ready beef came in.

Those are Tri Tips...also known as bottom sirloin butt.
Kind of a regional cut.
Some parts of the country don't market them.
Sometimes cut into steaks and called coulotte steaks

Proud NRA Life Member
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I lived it for 40 years.
Most meat cutters aren't butchers.
Everything comes broken down into primal cuts these days.
Damn few guys know how to take an animal apart, let alone go from freshly killed to field dressed to primals to retail cuts.
There are damn few thing in this world that I truly excell at, but butchering animals is that one thing.
If it has hair, feathers or scales I can kill it, clean it and butcher it well...

My grandfather was a butcher. My great aunt would tell stories of how he would butcher an animal with his white coat on. From start to finish, never get a drop of blood on him.

I still have some of his knives somewhere.

I have done some butchering. Just enough to get it done, but not nearly enough to do it quickly, efficiently or correctly always. But it is rewarding to know that when we take an elk or deer, I do all the cutting. Never got into the processing of products, but, everything else, I can do.

Guys that have that skill like you do Sal, impress me.

Last edited by Tarkio; 08/22/19.

Montana MOFO
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by SuperCub

[Linked Image]

Kind of a regional cut.

Very good cut of meat.

A bit tougher than the middle meats, but flavorful and good marbling relative to the other cuts in a beef.

This is one of our favorites to prepare on the pellet grill.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kind of a regional cut.

Thanks .... So is that the little cap muscle on the outside of the sirloin tip?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Salmonella, you Sir are an artist! Beautiful work.

NRA Benefactor Member
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain

Could have used you 2 weeks ago, had a steer we just bought become completely and totally wild once it got to our barn. Won’t get into the long story but it was much cheaper for me to shoot it than to try and contain it. 700 pound Hereford/watusi cross hung from the bucket of my tractor, I’ve butchered at least 100 deer, dozen pigs and a handful of elk, this was the same but different. Lots of good beef hanging there , would have liked to make some more specialized cuts but I lack the knowledge.

MM

I have managed to get a few deer and an elk from field to wrapped in the freezer. And I assisted Dad in processing every deer, or beef we ate at home. But I certainly can not be considered skilled in the art.

I much prefer to have a local processor handle the chore these days.

I do miss the days of being able to transport a "farm kill" to the processor to be butchered. I had a gilt get into a drainage ditch at Christmas time a few years ago. She was hypothermic when I found her. I am sure she would have gotten sick and died, had I attempted to treat her. It made more sense to put her in the freezer immediately. So I shot and skinned her and took her to the butcher the next day.

A breachy cow which would not stay in her pen. A bullet would take care of the problem. Set the carcass in the back of the pickup and haul it to the processor.

But no more. If it can not walk up to the kill floor, they will not take it. If it is something you can not get into a trailer to transport, the only alternatives are kill it and cut it at home, or pay for a mobile kill unit to come out.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I enjoy the part of cutting & raping what I kill or catch .its part of the hunt . I don't have it done . but if someone else doses that ok to each their on

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
44mc, You just might want to check and edit that post. grin

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 44mc
I enjoy the part of cutting & raping what I kill or catch .its part of the hunt . I don't have it done . but if someone else doses that ok to each their on

Wowzers!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Rooster7

Wowzers!

Yeah, Florida is an odd place.

MAGA
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Ostrich?

dibs on the drumstick.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's a turn key butcher shop for sale here $299k and they do a lot of business, only one for 60 miles or more. I know I could increase profits by 30% minimum if they started doing wild game processing. I have been awful tempted to buy it but I have a pretty good gig going where I'm at. If I could find someone to run it now......I see big $$$ in the future for the place with new game regulations coming this way saying no exporting of carcasses from the county and 2/3 of the hunters here are from outside the county. If my back wasn't F'd up I would be on it like a fat kid on a cupcake.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Wowzers!

Might explain what happened to 'Flave.... wink

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Wowzers!

Might explain what happened to 'Flave.... wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Wowzers!

I think he meant wrapping. that W is very key in determining the meaning wink

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

282 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 36 invisible), 2,850 guests, and 1,055 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,617
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.