Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
What is a spotted cat? Flathead?

Used to shoot buffalo in the creek west of town with my recurve as a kid. Never ate one.

Pretty cool that your dad is still going at his age, a blessing for sure. Is he fishing trotlines, limb lines, jugs?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, spotted cat, op, and flathead are all the same fish.

Trotline, slat traps, and hoop nets. Raises the traps and nets by hand, too.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Always hated working the ER when folk showed up with a bone stuck in their throat. It was always buffalo.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Originally Posted by jaguartx
I have an old cousin who fillets long rolls of meet from between the y bones and cuts it into frying pieces.

I've never seen or heard of that. Gonna have to look into it. Dad probably wouldn't be interested because he'd have to sell the fish for such a high price that folks wouldn't buy it. Poor folks are use to spitting bones!

Very cool to hear that your Dad is still out there banging around.

God Bless Him.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
This guy knows what hes doing.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I grew up in NE Louisiana, pretty common back in those days for a bunch of men to get together and camp out near the MS river oxbows or old river channels and put out gill nets for buffalo.

All the effort and fun was for a Saturday night fish fry they would hold once a month or so. Small town where everyone knew each other and all were welcome to come eat. They all chipped in to cover supplies.

I miss those days and I miss eating buffalo (fish). On my next trip up, I will send you a PM. If your Dad is still selling fish, I would love the opportunity to buy some! Got a feeling I may drive up that way for the opener of
dove season which is not that far away.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Who buys the buffalo ?

You have to ask?

lol

Hint...goes great with Big Red

😄😄

That’s what I was thinking too.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Lots of folks eat/ate buffalo. but some folks have become snooty in a way. There isn't a thing wrong with buffalo.

And work to skin a catfish? never really thought so, they skin pretty easy, though friends have taken to an electric filet knife to do both sides and it works ok. Though I really think the taste of the fish on the bone is always better than boneless.

Have fish head soup on my list to make up here, got a bit of a recipe from some Russians I had as clients a while back, sounds like it would be really good with the salmon

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From one fisherman to another, your Dad is awesome for doing that by himself at 93. Most folks don’t even live that long, much less continue the tough work commercial fishing brings with it. Just awesome.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Many years ago a black fellow I worked with shared some of his special old family recipe breaded, fried Buffalo that he'd brought for lunch that day. Well over 50 years later and I still remember how delicious it was and at least as good as any fish I've ever ate before or since.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks for posting, Randy!

Way cool your dad does that, and seems to be a way of life for him.

I'd probably do a bit of that myself here, with my pond raised catfish. But.. the choices I have is to be USDA inspected to sell processed fish, or charge people to come catch their own. (I'm not doing either.)

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For those that do not know, running nets and trot lines is a lot of work. Kudo's to your Dad for still being able to do that. Buffalo fish is still a much sought after fish here, and a good seller at the fish market. Never seen the bones cut out like in the video, but can skin one with my hands much to the surprise of most people. Lots of the river rats here never saw that done, but a man I worked with showed me back in the 1970's, how to do it. You cut the skin just below the collarbone, and get your fingers under the skin and just pop it off of on whole side. Very easy once you learn how. I was never good at fleecing them. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Randy! I know what a buffalo is. I was kinda smart assly asking why no Choupique? LOL!!!

( I already know the answer). 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bob, don't know how it is in other places, but I have never caught a bowfin in the White River. The old river lakes have plenty, and the bayou's running into the river, but I have never caught one in the river. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Yeah, spotted cat, op, and flathead are all the same fish.

also yellow cat, same

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
@OP... First, my hat is off to your dad to still be hard at it at 93 years of age. Congrats. Second, like the security system. smile Finally, not surprised with the popularity of the buffalo. Like many kinds of game and fish meat, proper handling, preparation and cooking make all the difference. Sounds like your dad has his end of the deal well under control.

Again, congrats to your dad. And thanks for sharing...

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Randy! I know what a buffalo is. I was kinda smart assly asking why no Choupique? LOL!!!

( I already know the answer). 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Bob, I know you was just messing with me, but some of the other fellers might get confused. You gotta remember, they dont all speak 'southern'..... grin

also yellow cat, same

Kid, it's probably just a local thing, but around here if you say you caught a 'yellow' cat, it means you caught a mud cat.

Thanks to all that wished Dad well. Just for the record, Dad is a WWII vet and was trained as an electrician in the Navy. After WWII he was commercial fishing on Bayou Mason and met another commercial fisherman, who turned out to be my Granddad. After he married Mom, he went back to doing electrical work in '50 (hard to make a living and raise a family just fishing) and retired in '90. He always said that when he retired, he was going to commercial fish and he has for the last 29 years. I'd hate to see the fish he has sold in the last 29 yrs., all in one pile!!!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great pictures / story...Awesome Dad...Beautiful dog...:) !!!

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

727 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 71 invisible), 3,104 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,200
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.