24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When Burris abandoned the fixed scope market I abandoned them.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
BP-B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Puppy
I been shooting Barnes X in one form or another for many years, never had one to fail to do the job at modest or ultra high speed and I am not wanting the kick to be an issue for her. I can always speed it up later if she can handle it. I shoot a 300 RUM with 180 gr TTSX, in the past I have shot a 300WM with a 165 gr original X and then TSX and a 30-06 with the TSX, terminal performance has been great with all of them and if you reload and take time to find the sweet spot off the lands they are as accurate as any bullet made. This about a 9 yo girl who weighs 60 lbs. full clothed and soaking wet, MAYBE so why scare her with a hot load?

I strongly agree with using a mild load, it's the Barnes part I'm asking about. For the appropriately modest ranges you mentioned I'd go even milder. Think along the lines of a 100 grain Nosler at 250 Savage speed pushed by something like 4895.

That's another way of saying 6.5 Grendel. Difference being you don't have to load for it and there's. $0.25 per round plinking available for it.

If the OP doesn't already have the 260 Rem barrel the Grendel would be a neat option.

P
Puppy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
This for an Encore so unless going the MGM or Bullberry route the .260 is much easier to find but even then it is not something you run up on every day. Actually bought it off here.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You should have no trouble brewing up an easy going 260 load for your daughter. A 100 grain Ballistic Tip loaded to Grendel speed ought to be a nice way to go.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Youper
When Burris abandoned the fixed scope market I abandoned them.

I was a devout fixed X proponent for years having owned several including Burris. I have more recently found a lot of benefit in the wider field of view going lower than 6x offers in the field- and going higher at the range. Brightness and features are no longer the issue they were (to me) due to the competition that has popped up over the last decade or so. I alerted folks here to some absolute silly deals on Burris variables and none have been disappointed. I still have a fixed Burris on one rifle but my others have moved to variables.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I been shooting Barnes X in one form or another for many years, never had one to fail to do the job at modest or ultra high speed and I am not wanting the kick to be an issue for her. I can always speed it up later if she can handle it. I shoot a 300 RUM with 180 gr TTSX, in the past I have shot a 300WM with a 165 gr original X and then TSX and a 30-06 with the TSX, terminal performance has been great with all of them and if you reload and take time to find the sweet spot off the lands they are as accurate as any bullet made. This about a 9 yo girl who weighs 60 lbs. full clothed and soaking wet, MAYBE so why scare her with a hot load?

I strongly agree with using a mild load, it's the Barnes part I'm asking about. For the appropriately modest ranges you mentioned I'd go even milder. Think along the lines of a 100 grain Nosler at 250 Savage speed pushed by something like 4895.

I too would load a cup and core bullet nice and mild. I can see issues with Barnes ad low speeds as they're not really designed for that.

As to your scope options, I would go with the 2-7X LEupold VX-Freedom over the FFII for sure.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
What about that Burris 30mm 1.5-6x w illum reticle Cameraland had on special?

Think Doug had em at $259

Last edited by hookeye; 08/21/19.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Setting up a gun for my daughter to deer hunt with for the first time this year, .260 Rem barrel on my Encore frame and looking at a low to mid power scope since she will not be shooting over 75-100yds. Thinking of a Burris Fullfield ll 2-7x35 or a Leuplod 2-7x33. any opinions, recent experiences with either good or bad? I love my Zeiss but just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money until I know if she is going to stick with it or not.
Thanks in advance.

That particular burris sucks. The eye relief is terrible, making it difficult to get behind. Try the fullfield II 3-9×40 with ballistic plex reticle, or even one of the newer MSR rifle scopes. Youll find those a lot more user friendly.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've had a Burris 4.5-14x42 FullField Ballistic Plex on my 7 08 for a number of years with no problems or complaints, nice clear optics.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by DBT
I've had a Burris 4.5-14x42 FullField Ballistic Plex on my 7 08 for a number of years with no problems or complaints, nice clear optics.

Remember this is for a new shooter who won't be lining up on anything past 100 yards.

If I was setting up a young kid I'd look hard at the 2.5x Leupold.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You should have no trouble brewing up an easy going 260 load for your daughter. A 100 grain Ballistic Tip loaded to Grendel speed ought to be a nice way to go.

There's a free Grendel that comes in the box with every bigger 6.5, just like the .30/30 in '06s, .308s, etc. Size and weight in this case are the same too.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you are worried about a few ounces difference in scope weight, then you have other issues. How old is your daughter? It seems odd that any kid would have issues with the recoil on a .260. If you are going to go with a mild load, there is no earthly reason to go full copper. Use 129 Hornady Interlocks at 2700+ and she will kill every deer that she shoots at, with light recoil. If that is too much recoil, then I don't know what to say.

I have seen very small girls shoot '06s.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
From an earlier post:

This about a 9 yo girl who weighs 60 lbs. full clothed and soaking wet

That's why suggested 100 grains at about 2700 fps. That's mild in a 260, and approximates the 250 Savage which kills deer handily.

P
Puppy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
So I have purchased a scope from a gentleman on here for the gun, a VX 3 1.75-6x32 seems like a nice compromise for what I am needing. I have also decided to load a 100 gr TTSX with a light dose of RL 17 probably be around 2750-2800 mainly because I have the RL 17 sitting at the house and although many of you don't agree with this choice I prefer a mono bullet and have confidence in them so that is what I am going with for her. It should have mild recoil with the 100 gr. bullet and expand nicely since she will be shooting close range and not 400 yds. where the velocity would be falling off. Thanks for all the input.

AP

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Best of Luck Puppy- it should be a GREAT scope for her. I hope your load works too. I am sure I speak for all of us saying a pic of her in November with this rig and a downed deer- and of course a big ole smile- would loved to be seen.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
VX 3 1.75-6x32 is a good one.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm not so sure a light dose of RL17 is the way to go.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Agreed. An extruded powder would be much safer in reduced loads. 4198 works great for that sort of thing, and will be safer.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Agreed. An extruded powder would be much safer in reduced loads. 4198 works great for that sort of thing, and will be safer.

Would i look like a di ck if i totally agreed with you and mathman. I dont think the op has listened to a word most are saying. Why ask a question here, if its obvious he has his own agenda?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Puppy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Actually you do look like a D__K, if you look at my original post it was a question on a scope and I enjoyed the feed back and based on my budget and availability I choice to buy a what I consider a good compromise scope for my daughter. In my original post I never asked anyone's opinion on what load I should shoot, what powder ,bullet type etc, that info was asked of me later in the thread and I chose to answer even though I knew better. I greatly appreciate everyone's opinion on what load I should use, why I should use this bullet Y vs bullet Z, powder type etc but everyone's life/hunting experiences are different and as such I choose to shoot a bullet that most of you wouldn't. On top of that I have been reloading since I was 15 so that is about 33 years worth of experience and I have never flattened a primer, split a case or hurt anyone so even though I may not be an internet expert I do know a little about it. I admit RL17 probably not the best choice but I have it available and have no other use for it so I will see if I can make it work. In a perfect world I would have unlimited resources and could always make the perfect purchase on everything I use and now my daughters will use for hunting but that will never be the case. With that said now I sound like a D__K but so be it, unless someone wants to criticize my grammar I will consider this thread closed.
Thanks again for the truly helpful opinions on the scope choice.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
199 members (300jimmy, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 01Foreman400, 18 invisible), 1,554 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,911
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.